חיפוש
הדפסה
שיתוף
הפריט שבחרת:
מקום
רוצה לעזור לנו לשפר את התוכן? אפשר לשלוח הצעות

קהילת יהודי אמדן

אמדן

Emden

עיר במדינת סאקסטניה תחתית, גרמניה. 

מסורת מקומית קשרה את ראשית היישוב היהודי במקום בגולי בית-ראשון ושני, אבל ידיעה של ממש על יהודים באמדן קיימת רק מן המחצית השנייה של המאה ה- 16, בספר "צמח דוד" של דוד גאנז מבני התקופה.

בסוף המאה ה- 16 התלוננו העירונים על שמתירים ליהודים לחיות על-פי דתם בפרהסיה ולהתהלך בלי אות-קלון.

אנוסים מפורטוגאל בדרכם לאמסטרדאם היו עוברים את אמדן ונמצאו ביניהם שהשתקעו בה וחזרו ליהדות. אחד מרבני העיר, משה אורי הלוי, שימש כ"חכם" ראשון בעדת הפורטוגלים באמסטרדאם. מועצת העיר העדיפה את המהגרים מפורטוגאל אבל הדוכס השליט מנע פגיעה באשכנזים הוותיקים.

בשנת 1744 סופחה אמדן לפרוסיה וב- 1762 התחוללו בעיר מהומות אנטי-יהודיות. ב-1808 בשנת 1808 העניק לואי בונאפארטה זכויות-אזרח ל- 500 היהודים שחיו אז בעיר. הזכויות בוטלו עם נסיגת הצרפתים כעבור שמונה שנים ולא חודשו אלא ב- 1842.

בין גדולי הרבנים בעיר היו יעקב אמדן (במאה ה- 18) ושמשון רפאל הירש (במאה ה- 19).

בית-הכנסת הגדול נחנך ב- 1909. בשנת 1930 מנתה הקהילה 1,000 איש, ובשנת 1933, אחרי עליית הנאצים לשלטון בגרמניה רק 581.

בית הכנסת נהרס בידי הנאצים כנראה במהומות "ליל הבדולח" בנובמבר 1938. היהודים המשיכו לעזוב את העיר, וערב מלחמת העולם השנייה (ספטמבר 1939) התגוררו באמדן רק כ- 300 יהודים.

אחרי פרוץ המלחמה גורשו מאמדן היהודים שעדיין חיו בעיר. בתחילת אוקטובר 1941, שולחו 110 יהודים מאמדן לגיטו לודז' בפולין.

אחרי המלחמה שבו כמה יהודים לחיות באמדן. בשנת 1967 התגוררו בעיר ששה יהודים.

סוג מקום:
עיר
מספר פריט:
116795
חובר ע"י חוקרים של אנו מוזיאון העם היהודי
מקומות קרובים:

פריטים קשורים:
Rabbi

he was ordained rabbi at Mir yeshiva. He headed the Hebrew department of the Jewish teachers' college in Wuerzburg before moving to the United States in 1938. In the US he taught at the Ner Israel yeshiva in Baltimore (1938-40), directed Yeshivath Beth Yehudah in Detroit (1941-44) and was rabbi of Congregation Orach Chaim in New York from 1944. He organized Torah Umesorah, a national association for the promotion of Hebrew day schools. From 1947 he directed the National Council of Young Israel and from 1956 was executive vice-president of the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations in America. In 1972 Weiss settled in Israel.
Rabbi

he was ordained rabbi at Mir yeshiva. He headed the Hebrew department of the Jewish teachers' college in Wuerzburg before moving to the United States in 1938. In the US he taught at the Ner Israel yeshiva in Baltimore (1938-40), directed Yeshivath Beth Yehudah in Detroit (1941-44) and was rabbi of Congregation Orach Chaim in New York from 1944. He organized Torah Umesorah, a national association for the promotion of Hebrew day schools. From 1947 he directed the National Council of Young Israel and from 1956 was executive vice-president of the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations in America. In 1972 Weiss settled in Israel.
Rabbi

He was born in Altona, son of Tsevi Hirsch Ashkenazi (Hakham Tsevi). He took his surname from the town where he officiated as rabbi from 1728 to 1733, although he preferred to use the Hebrew acronym Yavets (i.e. Yaakov ben Tsevi). He had a difficult personal life losing two wives in quick succession and several children. He became an unrelenting opponent of Shabbateanism, the pseudo-messianic movement founded by Shabbetai Tsevi. In 1733 he returned to Altona and engaged in business. From 1744 Emden ran a printing press publishing many works reflecting his own interests and outspoken attitudes. These included his own responsa and an annotated prayer book close to the Sephardi tradition. From 1751 he engaged in a bitter battle with Jonathan Eybeschutz, rabbi of Altona-Hamburg-Wandsbeck, whom he accused of being a secret Shabbatean. The conflict had repercussions throughout Europe. Emden's autobiography contains much useful information about the social and religious history of his time.

Haren on Ems

Haren 

A town in the district of Emsland in Lower Saxony, Germany.

First Jewish presence: 1766; peak Jewish population: 37 in 1885 (6.2% of the total population); Jewish population in 1933: 28

Although the Jews of Haren on Ems established a place of worship in the Meyering family home in 1810, they often found it difficult to gather a minyan. A teacher was hired in 1825, but paltry enrollment numbers convinced the community, in 1832, to send its children to the general school; nevertheless, teachers of religious studies (they were usually from Meppen) instructed Jewish children from 1883 until 1930. Although we do not know when Haren’s old Jewish cemetery was established—the records indicate an early date—we know for certain that it was replaced by a new cemetery (located north of the town) in 1907, soon after which, in June of 1909, a synagogue was inaugurated on Zum Pascheberg. The provincial rabbinate was in Emden. On Pogrom Night (Nov. 8, 1938), SA troops and the district’s Nazi leader broke into the synagogue and set it on fire; they then proceeded to ransack Jewish businesses and private property. Jewish men were arrested and interned in Sachsenhausen Nazi concentration camp for several weeks. By the end of 1938, six more Jews had left Haren, of whom five relocated to other places in Germany. Nineteen Jews still lived in Haren in 1939; six were sent to Riga in 1941; and five were moved into a “Jews’ house” in Lingen, from which they were deported to a Nazi concentration camp. In all, six local Jews managed to emigrate after 1933 (three to the United States and three to Argentina). The number of the local Jews who perished in the Holocaust is not known. A Lutheran church was later built on the former synagogue site. Memorials were unveiled there and at the Jewish cemetery in 1981 and 1988, respectively. Memorial “stumbling stones” commemorate 22 former Jewish residents of Haren on Ems.

---------------------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

Neuenhaus

A town in the district of Grafschaft Bentheim in Lower Saxony, Germany.

First Jewish presence: 1685; peak Jewish population: 47 in 1895; Jewish population in 1933: unknown

This town is referred to in different sources as either Neuenhaus or Veldhausen/Neuenhaus. Today, Veldhausen is a district of Neuenhaus. Although the Jewish community of Neuenhaus built a synagogue on Klinkhamerstrasse during the years 1847 to 1858, it was not until 1913 that a synagogue community was formed in cooperation with the smaller Jewish communities of Uelsen, Veldhausen and Emlichheim. In 1856, the community established a school in Nordhorn; later, in 1896, a Jewish school was finally opened in Neuenhaus. Records mention that a cemetery was consecrated in Neuenhaus in the 17th century, but the earliest known burial was conducted there in 1769. Neuenhaus belonged to the provincial rabbinate in Emden. On Pogrom Night (Nov. 9, 1938), the synagogue was ransacked, Jewish owned businesses and homes were vandalized and Jewish men were deported to Sachsenhausen, where they were interned for several weeks. The following day, a Christian woman arrived at the local Nazi headquarters and protested the outrage by surrendering the medal her mother had been given after the death of her son in World War I. It was not until after Pogrom Night that Jews began to leave Neuenhaus in large numbers; some of them fled to the Netherlands. The remaining Jews were eventually moved into the Reis family home. On July 7, 1942, a member of the Reis family passed away; and on July 29, 1942, the others were deported, most likely to Theresienstadt Nazi concentration camp—none survived. Records indicate that only one local Jew survived the war, making Neuenhaus one of the hardest-hit communities in Lower Saxony. In 1977, a memorial plaque was unveiled at the former synagogue site.

-------------------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

Norden

A town in the district of Aurich, in Lower Saxony, Germany. It is situated on the North Sea shore, in East Frisia.

First Jewish presence: 1255; peak Jewish population: 329 in 1861; Jewish population in 1933: 204

In 1804, the Jewish community of Norden established a new synagogue on present-day 1 Synagogenweg (“synagogue road”); another building housed a school and a mikveh, the latter of which was located in the basement. After 1858, at the latest, Norden was home to a public Jewish school. The provincial rabbinate was in nearby Emden. By 1933, the Jewish communities of Hage, Marienhafe, Norderney and Upgant-Schott had been affiliated with Norden. Seventy Jews had left the town by November 1938. On Pogrom Night (Nov. 9, 1938), SA men set the synagogue on fire, after which they accused the teacher and synagogue caretaker of the crime; together with many other local Jews, both were arrested. The damage was estimated at 150,000 Reichsmarks. Sixty-six Jews immigrated to safe locations. At least 94 perished in the ghettos and concentration camps of Eastern Europe, among them some who had fled to the Netherlands. Three Norden Jews committed suicide. Three Jewish survivors (two women and one man) returned to Norden after the war, at which point the synagogue was being used as a garage. A memorial was erected on the site in 1987. The cemetery—it was enlarged after the Shoah—was desecrated in 1978 and again in 1981.

----------------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

אוריך

Aurich

עיירה כפרית ליד הנהר אמס (Ems), סקסוניה התחתונה, גרמניה.

יהודים מאיטליה התיישבו לראשונה באוריך, כנראה ב-1378, בהזמנת שליט האזור. קהילה זו האריכה ימים עד סוף המאה ה-15. ב-1592 הורשו שני יהודים להופיע כנגנים בכפרים הסמוכים לאוריך. קהילה חדשה הוקמה בשנת 1647 כאשר יהודי החצר של רוזן פריסיה המזרחית, שמשון קלמן בן אברהם, התיישב שם. אוריך היה מקום מושבו של הפרנס הראשי ושל הרב הראשי של מזרח פריסלנד (Friesland) מ-1686 עד 1813, כאשר מקום מושבו עבר לאמדן (Emden).

ב-1764 נפתח בית קברות באוריך, ובשנת 1811 הוקם בית כנסת. בעת השלטון ההולנדי (1807-1815) נהנו היהודים מן הזכויות האזרחיות שנלקחו מהם ב-1744 בעת השלטון הפרוסי.

בשנת 1744 התיישבו באוריך עשר משפחות יהודיות נוספות, והקהילה נעשתה מרכז אזורי ליהודי פריסיה המזרחית. מספר יהודי העיירה הלך וגדל וכאשר נפוליאון העניק זכויות אזרחיות ופוליטיות ליהודי פריסיה המזרחית (1808) היו באוריך 16 משפחות יהודיות (180 נפשות). בסוף המאה ה-19 ישבו באוריך 600 יהודים, כ-8% מתושבי המקום. בתחילת המאה העשרים פחת מספר תושבי העיירה בכלל ומספר היהודים בפרט, וזאת עקב התיעוש והנהירה לערים.

רוב יהודי אוריך התפרנסו ממסחר, הם סחרו בבהמות, בתוצרת חקלאית ובטקסטיל. כמו כן היו כמה קצבים יהודים בעיירה. העיירה כולה הושפעה מתושביה היהודים ובימי שבת השוק לא פעל.

בשנת 1933, שנת עליית הנאצים לשלטון בגרמניה, ישבו באוריך 400 יהודים.

 

תקופת השואה

בשנים הראשונות לשלטון הנאצי בגרמניה, ועוד לפני פרוץ מלחמת העולם השנייה (ספטמבר 1939), עזבו יהודים רבים את אוריך. במהלך המלחמה, בשנת 1940, לקראת פלישת גרמניה להולנד, גורשו יהודי אוריך, והקהילה חדלה להתקיים.

דורנום

Dornum

כפר סמוך לעיר אוריך (Aurich), במחוז פריסיה המזרחית, במחוז סקסוניה התחתונה, גרמניה.

משפחה יהודית אחת ישבה בדורנום במחצית הראשונה של המאה ה-17. עם זאת, רק למשפחה יהודית אחת ניתנה זכות להתיישבות בדורנום. בשיטפון גדול, בשנת 1717, שהציף את הכפר, נספו 20% מהתושבים ונזק רב נגרם לחקלאות. אחרי האירוע הזה ניתנה רשות ליהודים להתיישב במקום, כדי להחיות את הכלכלה. ב-1730 כבר ישבו בדורנום עשר משפחות יהודיות. מספרם עלה ל-18 משפחות ב-1903 (10% מכלל האוכלוסייה). בתחילת המאה ה-20, הכלכלה והתיעוש הגדול גרם ליהודים רבים לעזוב את דורנום ולעבור לערים גדולות יותר. מספרם ירד ל-12 משפחות בשנת 1927 ול-10 ב-1933. בין היהודים שעזבו את דורנום הייתה מינה שונברג (Minnie Schoenberg), שהיגרה עם הוריה לארצות הברית בשנת 1879. שלושת בניה, שהיו שחקנים, התפרסמו כ"האחים מרקס".

רוב יהודי דורנום התפרנסו כמגדלי בקר וכסוחרים, והיו גם כמה קצבים יהודים בכפר. בין השנים 1807-1744 הם חיו תחת השלטון הפרוסי אשר הגביל את מגוון המקצועות שלהם כמו גם את זכויות התיישבותם. בשנת 1933, עם עליית הנאצים לשלטון בגרמניה, מספר יהודי הקהילה בדורנום היה 52 נפשות.


תקופת השואה

רוב יהודי דורנום נרצחו בכפר או במחנות שאליהם נשלחו בידי הנאצים, זמן מה אחרי פרוץ מלחמת העולם השנייה (ספטמבר 1939). בשנת 1940 גורש מהכפר היהודי האחרון והקהילה חדלה להתקיים.