חיפוש
הדפסה
שיתוף
הפריט שבחרת:
מקום
רוצה לעזור לנו לשפר את התוכן? אפשר לשלוח הצעות

קהילת יהודי רודלשטדט

Rudolstadt

A town and seat of the  of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt district in Thuringia, Germany.

In the Middle Ages there were occasional short time settlements of Jews in Rudolstadt. There was a more permanent Jewish settlement between 1784 and 1874. During these 90 years the community operated a prayer room in the private rooms of the merchant Schwabe and a cemetery that was destroyed during the Nazi era. Until 1816 there was also a mikveh in Ludwigsburg in Rudolstadt. In the first half of the 20th century there were still a few Jewish families living in Rudolstadt who attended religious services in Saalfeld on high holidays. Today only the buildings in which the prayer rooms were, are kept as residential houses. Any traces or references to Jewish life no longer exist in Rudolstadt.

--------------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

סוג מקום:
עיירה
מספר פריט:
21374366
חובר ע"י חוקרים של אנו מוזיאון העם היהודי
מקומות קרובים:

פריטים קשורים:

Ilmenau

A town in the Ilm district in Thuringia, Germany.

First Jewish presence: in or around the year 1300; peak Jewish population: 82 in 1910; Jewish population in 1933: 51

Ilmenau’s first synagogue was built in 1428. In 1492, after Jews were banished from Ilmenau, the synagogue was handed over to the local church. Jews returned to the town during the 17th century, but it was not until the early 1800s that a Jewish community was established there. Ilmenau was never home to a large Jewish population, therefore a proper synagogue was never built in the town; a prayer room, situated in the back of a building, served as a synagogue. Jews and Christians coexisted peacefully in Ilmenau. The anti-Semitic legislation and boycotts of 1933 were completely ignored, and it was not, in fact, until 1935 that residents began to obey the increasingly restrictive anti-Jewish laws. On Pogrom Night (Nov. 9, 1938), rioters smashed windows in Jewish owned businesses, plundered the prayer room and burned ritual objects. Ilmenau’s remaining Jews were deported, marking the end of Jewish life in this small town.

__________________________________________________

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

ארנשטאדט

עיר בתורינגיה, גרמניה. עד 1990 במזרח גרמניה.


במאה ה-13 קיימו יהודי המקום קשרים הדוקים עם קהילת ארפורט, שאליה היגרו, מאוחר יותר, רבים מהם. ארבעה התפרצויות אנטי-יהודיות בין השנים 1264 ו-1466 הסתיימו במעשי טבח, ולאחריהן גורשו היהודים מן העיר. קהילה יהודית הוקמה  מחדש במאה ה-19. ב-1880 נמנו 59 יהודים בקהילה, 137 ב-1910, 87 ב-1933, ו-56 ב-1939. רוב היהודים שגרו בארנשטאדט עשו חיל, הם עסקו בעיקר בסחר בבקר ובבנקאות.

בית הכנסת שהוקם ב-1913 נשרף על ידי הנאצים ב-10 בנובמבר 1938.

הקהילה לא חודשה אחרי מלחמת העולם השנייה.

ארפורט (Erfurt)


עיר בתורינגיה, גרמניה. עד מלחמת העולם השנייה השתייכה ארפורט למחוז סקסוניה.

המאה ה-21

ב-1998 בית הכנסת העתיק שוחזר ומתקיימים לימודי יהדות בו. ב-2003 נמנו בקהילה 550 אנשים, רובם מהגרים מברית המועצות לשעבר. ראש הקהילה הוא ריינהרד שארם ורב הקהילה הוא קונסנטין פאל. קיים מרכז תרבות של הקהילה ובו מתקיימים שיעורי יהדות וחברה כגון: קונצרטים, תכניות רדיו ומפגשים על כוס קפה. בית העלמין היהודי הישן נסגר ונפתח בית עלמין חדש. הוקם בו חדר טהרה והספדים נאמרים בסגנון מיוחד . בעיר מתקיימים סיורים במוזיאון, בבית הכנסת העתיק ובמקווה העתיק.

היסטוריה

היהודים מוזכרים לראשונה בארפורט במאה ה-12. בתחילה תחת חסותו של המלך, ובמחצית השנייה של המאה ה-12 הם עברו לסמכותו של הארכיבישוף ממיינץ, שחיבר עבורם נוסח שבועה בגרמנית. ב-1209 ויתר המלך גם על זכותו לגבות מסים מהיהודים, ובשנת 1212 הוענקה הזכות במפורש לארכיבישוף.  בפרעות שהתחוללו ב-1221 נשרף בית הכנסת. יהודים נרצחו או השליכו את עצמם לתוך הלהבות; ביניהם היה הפייטן והחזן שמואל בן קלונימוס. אף על פי כן, הקהילה היהודית של ארפורט המשיכה להתקיים ואף התרחבה. לאחר זמן מה הוקם בית כנסת חדש, ורבנים מפורסמים בחרו בארפורט כמקום מושבם. לפי המשוער, בין 1286 ל-1293, ר' אשר בן יחיאל (הרא"ש) וקלונימוס בן אליעזר הנקדן בעל "מסורה קטנה", גרו בארפורט. כתב היד של קלונימוס בן אליעזר שמור בארפורט עד היום. במהלך ימי הביניים ניהלו יהודי ארפוט את טקס התפילה בנוסח של סקסוניה. ספר הפולחן של הקהילה נשמר במכללת היהודים, לונדון (מס' 104, 4).

בתחילת המאה ה-14 ההגנה על היהודים עברה לידי העירייה. אך הגנה זו לא הועילה, ובתחילת במרס 1349 התרגשה עליהם שואת "המגיפה השחורה" שבה נרצחו יותר ממאה איש ורבים שלחו אש בבתיהם ומתו על קידוש השם, ביניהם ר' אלכסנדר זוסלין הכהן, בעל "ספר האגודה". היהודים הנותרים גורשו מן העיר. ישראל בן יואל זוסלין מזכיר את הקדושים המעונים של ארפורט בקינה (ספר הדמעות, 2, 126-7). ב-1357 מועצת העיר התירה ליהודים לשוב ולגור בעיר ולבנות בית כנסת חדש. ב-1391 ביטל המלך את כל חובות הנוצרים ליהודי ארפורט והעבירם לידי העירייה תמורת 2,000 גולדן. העירייה תבעה את הסכום הזה מן היהודים, אך הבטיחה להחזיר להם חלק מהחובות. לאחר מכן נאלצו היהודים לשלם מס מיוחד לאוצר המלך.

בשנת 1418 הם נאלצו להצהיר בשבועה, על גודל רכושם, בבית הכנסת, והמלך גבה מהם מסים חדשים על בסיס זה. בשנת 1458 היהודים גורשו שוב מן העיר.

במאה ה-15 נמנתה ארפורט עם הקהילות הגדולות והחשובות ביותר בגרמניה, בהנהגת גדולי תורה: ר' מאיר בן ברוך הלוי; תלמידו היה ר' הלל מארפורט. באמצע המאה ר' יעקב בן יהודה וייל לימד בארפורט. בתקופה זו מילאו יהודי ארפורט תפקיד חשוב בבנקאות בתורינגיה.

בסביבות 1820 השתמשו השלטונות הפרוסיים במצבות של בית העלמין היהודי למען ביצור העיר.

היישוב היהודי התחדש בארפורט בעשור השני של המאה ה-19, כאשר הוקם בית כנסת חדש, וגדל מ-144 נפש ב-1844 לכדי 546 בערך ב-1880 (1.03% מכלל האוכלוסייה); 795 ב-1910 (0.72%); ו-831 ב-1933 (%0.6 מכלל האוכלוסייה).

לאחר עליית הנאצים, עזבו רוב היהודים את ארפורט, ב-1939 נמנו רק 263 יהודים בעיר. ב-9 בנובמבר 1938 הועלה בית הכנסת באש והקהילה נאלצה לשלם את מחיר הדלק ששימש להצתה ובעד פינוי ההריסות. הגברים הוחזקו בתנאי השפלה בבית ספר מקומי וגורשו לבוכנוואלד. 173 היהודים האחרונים בעיר הועברו לטרזיינשטאדט בפברואר 1945.

הקהילה היהודית אחרי השואה

הקהילה חודשה אחרי השואה. בשנת 1952 נבנו בית כנסת חדש ומקווה. בשנת 1961 התגוררו בעיר 120 יהודים. הוצא ספר זיכרון לקורבנות השואה. בשנת 1998 שוחזר בית הכנסת העתיק ומתקיימים בו שיעורי יהדות. בארכיון המרכזי לתולדות העם היהודי בירושלים שמורים פנקסי קהילת ארפורט לשנים 1936-1855. אחד מכתבי היד המפורסמים של התוספתא נמצא בארפורט, ונקרא על שמה. על פי סול ליברמן, בהקדמה למהדורת התוספתא בי-פשוטו, התוספתא נכתבה כנראה במאה ה-12 בגרמניה.

 

Jena

A city in Thuringia, Germany.

Around 1400 there was a small Jewish community in Jena. In 1431 a synagogue that was located on Jüdengasse and Leutragasse is mentioned. From the middle of the 16th century to 1850 Jews were forbidden to settle in Jena. It was not until the second half of the 19th century that a small Jewish community formed again, but it never received the status of a religious community. The newly founded "Israelite Religious Community" endeavored to provide regular religious instruction for school-age children and worship service. Both took place in the private rooms of community members. The buildings in Scheidlerstrasse 3 and in the former Schützenstrasse 52 are now privately owned and used as residential buildings. The number of members of the Jena community developed as follows: In 1880 there were 30 Jewish residents in Jena, in 1890 there were 64, in 1895 already 85, in 1900 the number fell to 61 and in 1905 there were 145 Jews in Jena. The deceased of the community were buried in the Jewish cemetery of the Erfurt community. Although the Jena congregation was given the opportunity to set up a burial place in a separate section of the Catholic cemetery, the predominantly conservative congregation refused.

In 1925 there were 277 Jewish residents in Jena. In 1933 it was less than half with 111. By the end of 1938 all Jewish businesses were "Aryanized" or closed, the Jews living in Jena at that time were crammed into so-called "Jewish houses". From 1942 the deportations to the to the Nazi concentration camps began. After the end of the war eleven survivors of Jena Jews returned from Theresienstadt, and they again founded a small community which only existed for a very short time.

It was only after 1990 when the USSR collapsed, that Jewish emigrants came to Jena and formed a new community.

----------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

Poessneck

Pößneck

A town in the Saale-Orla-Kreis district, in Thuringia, Germany.

Some Jews lived in Poessneck as early as the Middle Ages. From the middle of the 15th century, however, there was no information about Jewish life in Poessneck. Only in the 19th century are Jewish residents mentioned in Poessneck. These formed a small community, but it did not have the status of a religious community. The religious activities of the community were probably carried out in the private rooms of the house of David Binder, who was a wealthy merchant and owned a large business in Poessneck. This building is located at Breiten Strasse 2 and still exists today as a department store.

The Jewish community reached its peak in 1895, when 51 Jews lived in Poessneck. In 1933 there were still 16 Jews living in the place. Until the outbreak of war some Jews left the place due to exclusion and persecution. The businessman David Binder against whose company many Nazi attacks were directed, was deported to the Buchenwald concentration camp in 1938 where he was murdered. After the war there was no longer a Jewish community in Poessneck.

-------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

Saalfeld

A town and capital of the Saalfeld-Rudolstadt district in Thuringia, Germany.

Jews are already recorded in Saalfeld at the beginning of the 14th century. They formed a small community with a synagogue. At the time of the plague epidemic the Saalfeld Jews were also expelled, three of them re-established the Erfurt community in the years after the expulsion (1357). Only at the beginning of the following century were Jews living in Saalfeld again, they lived from trading in money and jewelry. The medieval Jewish community was probably also affected by the expulsions of Jews in the Wettin territory but there is no conclusive evidence of this.

Until the 19th century there was no evidence of Jewish life in Saalfeld. At the end of the 19th century, 31 Jewish people lived in Saalfeld, this number changes only insignificantly in the following years. There is a loose community without the status of a religious community. There was a prayer room in a private household, the burial of the dead took place in Erfurt. In 1933 there were 33 Jews living in Saalfeld, some of whom were able to emigrate; other Jews who remained in Saalfeld were murdered.

-------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

במאגרי המידע הפתוחים
גניאולוגיה יהודית
שמות משפחה
קהילות יהודיות
תיעוד חזותי
מרכז המוזיקה היהודית
מקום
אA
אA
אA
רוצה לעזור לנו לשפר את התוכן? אפשר לשלוח הצעות
קהילת יהודי רודלשטדט

Rudolstadt

A town and seat of the  of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt district in Thuringia, Germany.

In the Middle Ages there were occasional short time settlements of Jews in Rudolstadt. There was a more permanent Jewish settlement between 1784 and 1874. During these 90 years the community operated a prayer room in the private rooms of the merchant Schwabe and a cemetery that was destroyed during the Nazi era. Until 1816 there was also a mikveh in Ludwigsburg in Rudolstadt. In the first half of the 20th century there were still a few Jewish families living in Rudolstadt who attended religious services in Saalfeld on high holidays. Today only the buildings in which the prayer rooms were, are kept as residential houses. Any traces or references to Jewish life no longer exist in Rudolstadt.

--------------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

חובר ע"י חוקרים של אנו מוזיאון העם היהודי

זאלפלד
פוסנק
ינה
ארפורט
ארנשטאדט
אילמנאו

Saalfeld

A town and capital of the Saalfeld-Rudolstadt district in Thuringia, Germany.

Jews are already recorded in Saalfeld at the beginning of the 14th century. They formed a small community with a synagogue. At the time of the plague epidemic the Saalfeld Jews were also expelled, three of them re-established the Erfurt community in the years after the expulsion (1357). Only at the beginning of the following century were Jews living in Saalfeld again, they lived from trading in money and jewelry. The medieval Jewish community was probably also affected by the expulsions of Jews in the Wettin territory but there is no conclusive evidence of this.

Until the 19th century there was no evidence of Jewish life in Saalfeld. At the end of the 19th century, 31 Jewish people lived in Saalfeld, this number changes only insignificantly in the following years. There is a loose community without the status of a religious community. There was a prayer room in a private household, the burial of the dead took place in Erfurt. In 1933 there were 33 Jews living in Saalfeld, some of whom were able to emigrate; other Jews who remained in Saalfeld were murdered.

-------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

Poessneck

Pößneck

A town in the Saale-Orla-Kreis district, in Thuringia, Germany.

Some Jews lived in Poessneck as early as the Middle Ages. From the middle of the 15th century, however, there was no information about Jewish life in Poessneck. Only in the 19th century are Jewish residents mentioned in Poessneck. These formed a small community, but it did not have the status of a religious community. The religious activities of the community were probably carried out in the private rooms of the house of David Binder, who was a wealthy merchant and owned a large business in Poessneck. This building is located at Breiten Strasse 2 and still exists today as a department store.

The Jewish community reached its peak in 1895, when 51 Jews lived in Poessneck. In 1933 there were still 16 Jews living in the place. Until the outbreak of war some Jews left the place due to exclusion and persecution. The businessman David Binder against whose company many Nazi attacks were directed, was deported to the Buchenwald concentration camp in 1938 where he was murdered. After the war there was no longer a Jewish community in Poessneck.

-------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

Jena

A city in Thuringia, Germany.

Around 1400 there was a small Jewish community in Jena. In 1431 a synagogue that was located on Jüdengasse and Leutragasse is mentioned. From the middle of the 16th century to 1850 Jews were forbidden to settle in Jena. It was not until the second half of the 19th century that a small Jewish community formed again, but it never received the status of a religious community. The newly founded "Israelite Religious Community" endeavored to provide regular religious instruction for school-age children and worship service. Both took place in the private rooms of community members. The buildings in Scheidlerstrasse 3 and in the former Schützenstrasse 52 are now privately owned and used as residential buildings. The number of members of the Jena community developed as follows: In 1880 there were 30 Jewish residents in Jena, in 1890 there were 64, in 1895 already 85, in 1900 the number fell to 61 and in 1905 there were 145 Jews in Jena. The deceased of the community were buried in the Jewish cemetery of the Erfurt community. Although the Jena congregation was given the opportunity to set up a burial place in a separate section of the Catholic cemetery, the predominantly conservative congregation refused.

In 1925 there were 277 Jewish residents in Jena. In 1933 it was less than half with 111. By the end of 1938 all Jewish businesses were "Aryanized" or closed, the Jews living in Jena at that time were crammed into so-called "Jewish houses". From 1942 the deportations to the to the Nazi concentration camps began. After the end of the war eleven survivors of Jena Jews returned from Theresienstadt, and they again founded a small community which only existed for a very short time.

It was only after 1990 when the USSR collapsed, that Jewish emigrants came to Jena and formed a new community.

----------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

ארפורט (Erfurt)


עיר בתורינגיה, גרמניה. עד מלחמת העולם השנייה השתייכה ארפורט למחוז סקסוניה.

המאה ה-21

ב-1998 בית הכנסת העתיק שוחזר ומתקיימים לימודי יהדות בו. ב-2003 נמנו בקהילה 550 אנשים, רובם מהגרים מברית המועצות לשעבר. ראש הקהילה הוא ריינהרד שארם ורב הקהילה הוא קונסנטין פאל. קיים מרכז תרבות של הקהילה ובו מתקיימים שיעורי יהדות וחברה כגון: קונצרטים, תכניות רדיו ומפגשים על כוס קפה. בית העלמין היהודי הישן נסגר ונפתח בית עלמין חדש. הוקם בו חדר טהרה והספדים נאמרים בסגנון מיוחד . בעיר מתקיימים סיורים במוזיאון, בבית הכנסת העתיק ובמקווה העתיק.

היסטוריה

היהודים מוזכרים לראשונה בארפורט במאה ה-12. בתחילה תחת חסותו של המלך, ובמחצית השנייה של המאה ה-12 הם עברו לסמכותו של הארכיבישוף ממיינץ, שחיבר עבורם נוסח שבועה בגרמנית. ב-1209 ויתר המלך גם על זכותו לגבות מסים מהיהודים, ובשנת 1212 הוענקה הזכות במפורש לארכיבישוף.  בפרעות שהתחוללו ב-1221 נשרף בית הכנסת. יהודים נרצחו או השליכו את עצמם לתוך הלהבות; ביניהם היה הפייטן והחזן שמואל בן קלונימוס. אף על פי כן, הקהילה היהודית של ארפורט המשיכה להתקיים ואף התרחבה. לאחר זמן מה הוקם בית כנסת חדש, ורבנים מפורסמים בחרו בארפורט כמקום מושבם. לפי המשוער, בין 1286 ל-1293, ר' אשר בן יחיאל (הרא"ש) וקלונימוס בן אליעזר הנקדן בעל "מסורה קטנה", גרו בארפורט. כתב היד של קלונימוס בן אליעזר שמור בארפורט עד היום. במהלך ימי הביניים ניהלו יהודי ארפוט את טקס התפילה בנוסח של סקסוניה. ספר הפולחן של הקהילה נשמר במכללת היהודים, לונדון (מס' 104, 4).

בתחילת המאה ה-14 ההגנה על היהודים עברה לידי העירייה. אך הגנה זו לא הועילה, ובתחילת במרס 1349 התרגשה עליהם שואת "המגיפה השחורה" שבה נרצחו יותר ממאה איש ורבים שלחו אש בבתיהם ומתו על קידוש השם, ביניהם ר' אלכסנדר זוסלין הכהן, בעל "ספר האגודה". היהודים הנותרים גורשו מן העיר. ישראל בן יואל זוסלין מזכיר את הקדושים המעונים של ארפורט בקינה (ספר הדמעות, 2, 126-7). ב-1357 מועצת העיר התירה ליהודים לשוב ולגור בעיר ולבנות בית כנסת חדש. ב-1391 ביטל המלך את כל חובות הנוצרים ליהודי ארפורט והעבירם לידי העירייה תמורת 2,000 גולדן. העירייה תבעה את הסכום הזה מן היהודים, אך הבטיחה להחזיר להם חלק מהחובות. לאחר מכן נאלצו היהודים לשלם מס מיוחד לאוצר המלך.

בשנת 1418 הם נאלצו להצהיר בשבועה, על גודל רכושם, בבית הכנסת, והמלך גבה מהם מסים חדשים על בסיס זה. בשנת 1458 היהודים גורשו שוב מן העיר.

במאה ה-15 נמנתה ארפורט עם הקהילות הגדולות והחשובות ביותר בגרמניה, בהנהגת גדולי תורה: ר' מאיר בן ברוך הלוי; תלמידו היה ר' הלל מארפורט. באמצע המאה ר' יעקב בן יהודה וייל לימד בארפורט. בתקופה זו מילאו יהודי ארפורט תפקיד חשוב בבנקאות בתורינגיה.

בסביבות 1820 השתמשו השלטונות הפרוסיים במצבות של בית העלמין היהודי למען ביצור העיר.

היישוב היהודי התחדש בארפורט בעשור השני של המאה ה-19, כאשר הוקם בית כנסת חדש, וגדל מ-144 נפש ב-1844 לכדי 546 בערך ב-1880 (1.03% מכלל האוכלוסייה); 795 ב-1910 (0.72%); ו-831 ב-1933 (%0.6 מכלל האוכלוסייה).

לאחר עליית הנאצים, עזבו רוב היהודים את ארפורט, ב-1939 נמנו רק 263 יהודים בעיר. ב-9 בנובמבר 1938 הועלה בית הכנסת באש והקהילה נאלצה לשלם את מחיר הדלק ששימש להצתה ובעד פינוי ההריסות. הגברים הוחזקו בתנאי השפלה בבית ספר מקומי וגורשו לבוכנוואלד. 173 היהודים האחרונים בעיר הועברו לטרזיינשטאדט בפברואר 1945.

הקהילה היהודית אחרי השואה

הקהילה חודשה אחרי השואה. בשנת 1952 נבנו בית כנסת חדש ומקווה. בשנת 1961 התגוררו בעיר 120 יהודים. הוצא ספר זיכרון לקורבנות השואה. בשנת 1998 שוחזר בית הכנסת העתיק ומתקיימים בו שיעורי יהדות. בארכיון המרכזי לתולדות העם היהודי בירושלים שמורים פנקסי קהילת ארפורט לשנים 1936-1855. אחד מכתבי היד המפורסמים של התוספתא נמצא בארפורט, ונקרא על שמה. על פי סול ליברמן, בהקדמה למהדורת התוספתא בי-פשוטו, התוספתא נכתבה כנראה במאה ה-12 בגרמניה.

 

ארנשטאדט

עיר בתורינגיה, גרמניה. עד 1990 במזרח גרמניה.


במאה ה-13 קיימו יהודי המקום קשרים הדוקים עם קהילת ארפורט, שאליה היגרו, מאוחר יותר, רבים מהם. ארבעה התפרצויות אנטי-יהודיות בין השנים 1264 ו-1466 הסתיימו במעשי טבח, ולאחריהן גורשו היהודים מן העיר. קהילה יהודית הוקמה  מחדש במאה ה-19. ב-1880 נמנו 59 יהודים בקהילה, 137 ב-1910, 87 ב-1933, ו-56 ב-1939. רוב היהודים שגרו בארנשטאדט עשו חיל, הם עסקו בעיקר בסחר בבקר ובבנקאות.

בית הכנסת שהוקם ב-1913 נשרף על ידי הנאצים ב-10 בנובמבר 1938.

הקהילה לא חודשה אחרי מלחמת העולם השנייה.

Ilmenau

A town in the Ilm district in Thuringia, Germany.

First Jewish presence: in or around the year 1300; peak Jewish population: 82 in 1910; Jewish population in 1933: 51

Ilmenau’s first synagogue was built in 1428. In 1492, after Jews were banished from Ilmenau, the synagogue was handed over to the local church. Jews returned to the town during the 17th century, but it was not until the early 1800s that a Jewish community was established there. Ilmenau was never home to a large Jewish population, therefore a proper synagogue was never built in the town; a prayer room, situated in the back of a building, served as a synagogue. Jews and Christians coexisted peacefully in Ilmenau. The anti-Semitic legislation and boycotts of 1933 were completely ignored, and it was not, in fact, until 1935 that residents began to obey the increasingly restrictive anti-Jewish laws. On Pogrom Night (Nov. 9, 1938), rioters smashed windows in Jewish owned businesses, plundered the prayer room and burned ritual objects. Ilmenau’s remaining Jews were deported, marking the end of Jewish life in this small town.

__________________________________________________

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.