חיפוש
הדפסה
שיתוף
הפריט שבחרת:
שם משפחה
רוצה לעזור לנו לשפר את התוכן? אפשר לשלוח הצעות

מקור השם קליין

KLEIN

שמות משפחה נובעים מכמה מקורות שונים. לעיתים לאותו שם קיים יותר מהסבר אחד. שם משפחה זה נובע תכונה פיזית או מכינוי אישי.

קלייו היא מילה גרמנית / יידיש שפירושה "קטן" / "מעט". בשפות הלועזיות השם קליין מופיע במספר צורות איות.

השם קליין היה נפוץ, בין היתר, בערים פלוצק, קאליש ולודז', כולן בפולין. בסוף המאה ה-19 . קליין מתועד כשם משפחה יהודי עם אן קליין בשנת 1530 ועם באר משה קליין מפראג, צ'כיה, אשר ביקר ביריד של לייפציג בגרמניה בשנת 1719.

אישים מוכרים בעלי שם המשפחה היהודי קליין כוללים את הגיאוגרף ההונגרי שמואל קליין (1940-1886); את המשורר הקנדי אברהם מוזס קליין (1972-1909); את הרב גוטליב קליין (1914-1852) אשר נולד בסלובקיה; ואת החייל האמריקאי ג'וליוס קליין בן המאה ה-20.

במאה ה-20 Klein מתועד כשם משפחה יהודי עם חמש משפחות בשם קליין אשר התגוררו בעיירה ז'אדובה ליד צ'רנוביץ, צפון בוקובינה (היום באוקראיה) בשנים שלפני מלחמת העולם השנייה. כל אנשי קהילת ז'אדובה גורשו אל מחנות המוות ביולי 1941.
מספר פריט:
195375
חובר ע"י חוקרים של אנו מוזיאון העם היהודי
מקומות קרובים:
פריטים קשורים:
Klein, Samuel (1886-1940), rabbi and professor of geography, who was born in Szilasbalhas, Veszprem county, Hungary (then part of Austria-Hungary). He studied at the universities of Berlin and Heidelberg, Germany, received a Ph.D. degree at the latter, and was ordained at the Rabbinical Seminary of Berlin. In 1909 the Jewish congregation of Dolnja Tuzla, Bosnia, elected him rabbi, and in 1913 he became chief rabbi of Ersekujvar, Hungary (which from 1918 to 1939 was known as Nove Mesto, Czechoslovakia). During World War I (1914-18) he served as a military chaplain.

Klein published numerous articles and essays in Hebrew, Hungarian, German, French and English periodicals on the history of Eretz Israel and he contributed to the Jewish weekly paper "Szombat". In 1924 he was invited to lecture at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. He lectured there in 1925 and 1926, and then returned to his congregation at Ersekujvar, where he continued to minister until 1928 when he was appointed professor of historical geography at the Hebrew University.

Klein's greatest contribution to the study of the history and geography of Eretz Israel was his use of the Talmud and Midrash as primary sources for research concerning the country's topography and the history of its settlement ("Siedlungsgeschichte"). He branched out into biblical and apocryphal geography, using also Hellenistic (Josephus) and patristic (Eusebius, etc,) sources, and making important contributions to Jewish epigraphy.

Klein published in book form: "Beitrage zur Geographie und Geschichte Galilaeas" (1909); "Juedisch-palaestinisches Corpus Inscriptionum" (1920); "Eretz Israel" (1922); "Die Kuestenstrasse Palaestinas, "which was also published in Hebrew as "Derech Hof Hayam" (in "Scripta" of the Hebrew University, 1923); "Ever ha-Yarden ha-Yehudi" (1925); "Palestine Studies", also published in Hebrew as "Mehkarim Eretz-Ysraeliyyim" (vol. I, 1923-28; vol. 2, 1928-30; vol. 3, 1932); "Toledoth Hayishuv Hayehudi Be'eretz Ysrael" ("A History of the Jewish Settlement in Palestine"; 1935); "Toledot Hakirat Erez Yisrael" 1937); "Eretz Yehudah" (1939); and "Eretz ha-Galil" (1946). He also published maps of Palestine, "Mappath Eretz Yisrael" (1922), and was co-editor of "Zion", Hebrew Yearbook of the history and archeology of Palestine. Klein also contributed most of the articles on Eretz Israel in the German language "Encyclopaedia Judaica" and the "Juedische Lexikon". As president of the Jewish Palestine Exploration Society, he edited the publication of this society.
Samuel Klein died in Jerusalem.

Salomon Klein (1845-1937), ophthalmologist born in Miskolc, Hungary (then part of the Austrian Empire). After his graduation in Vienna, Austria, in 1870, he practiced in the Austrian capital and lectured from 1883 to 1916 in various capacities at the University of Vienna. From 1902 on he was apppinted associate professor of ophthalmology, Klein was also head of the ophthalmic department of the Rothschild Hospital at the Hohe Warte, near Vienna.
He was appointed Hofrat by Emperor Franz Joseph.

During his long life, Klein performed more than 5,000 glaucoma operations. He retired in 1916. His "Lehrbuch der Augenheilkunde" was first published in 1879, and was reprinted several times. It is still a standard work. He was also author of "Der Augenspiegel und seine Anwendung" (1876); "Augenspielstudien bei Geisterkranken" (1877), "Grundriss der Augenheilkunde" (1886), and "Das Auge und seine Diatetik" (1892). Klein published scores of articles in scientific magazines, and wrote special features for several encyclopedias and manuals, among them the results of research concerning the syphilitic disease of the eyes and the influx of mental illness on the eyesight.
Klein died in Vienna.

Philip Klein (1849-1926), Orthodox rabbi born in Baracska, Hungary (then part of the Austrian Empire). He studied at several yeshivot including that of Pozsony (now Bratislava, Slovakia.) Concurrently he studied at the gymnasium at Pozsony. In Germany he attended the Universities of Berlin, and Jena and the the University of Vienna in Austria, and obtained a degree of doctor. As a rabbi he was ordained by the Hildesheimer Rabbinical Seminary of Berlin in 1871.

Klein served as rabbi in Kiev, Ukraine (then part of the Russian Empire) (1874-1880), and in Libau, Latvia (then part of the Russian Empire), 1880-1891. Russian anti-Semitism, exacerbated by the policies of Alexander III, caused Klein to leave Russia for the USA. in 1891. He served as rabbi of the first Hungarian Congregation Ohad Zedek, New York City, from 1891 until 1926. He was a leader of the 1914 US war-relief drive in the US, and was serving as president of the Agudat Israel movement. He was extremely active in New York City's Orthodox religious life, however, was not entirely separated from the Mizrahi Zionist ideal. Klein was one of the very few rabbis with an orthodox middle-class acculturated congregation. He was also honorary president of the Union of Orthodox Rabbis of the United States and Canada.

Miksa Max Klein (1847-1908), sculptor born in Gonz, Abauj-Torna county, Hungary (then part of the Austrian Empire). He studied under Professor Szandhaz in Budapest. In 1863 he went to Berlin, Germany and subsequently to Munich and Rome, to continue his studies. He spent most of his life outside Hungary,having no influence on Hungarian sculpting.

Klein's group, "Ancient Germans in the Roman Circus", characterized by bold realism and vigor, was exhibited at the Paris Salon and awarded a medal by the Internationale Kunstausstellung at Munich (1878). The competition for statues of heroic size of the ancient Greek philosophers, held by the Joachimsthaler Gymnasium, Berlin, was won by Klein for his sculptured representations of Plato and Aristotle. He made two large busts of Field Marshal Manteufell and General Werder which are in the Ruemeshalle, Berlin. His portrait busts include also those of Nietzsche, Helmholtz, and the composer Popper.

Klein's most important plastic works are: a marble bust of his wife; two groups, (a) "Hagar and Ismael", and (b) "Centaur and Nymph", for which he won a gold medal; a larger group, "Der Besiegte". His statue of Theodor Fontane and one entitled "Lorelei" were exhibited in Berlin (1899). Among other works adorning public places in Germany are his statue of Emperor Wilhelm I on horseback, and that of Bismarck in the Grunewald.

Klein became a convert to Christianity. He died in Berlin

Samuel (Samy) Klein (1915-1944), rabbi and member of the French Resistance during WW II, born in Bad Homburg vor der Höhe near Frankfurt am Main, Germany, the great-grandson of Rabbi Salomon Wolf Klein (1814-1867), a leader of the Orthodox Jews in Alsace. Following the death of his father in 1918, his mother moved to Strasbourg in France. Klein started to study at the Séminaire israélite de France in Paris and then at the Telz yeshiva in Telšiai, Lithuania, in 1936. He returned to France and was ordained a rabbi in 1939.

In 1939 he was drafted in the French army studying at the École nationale des sous-officiers d'active (ENSOA) and at the outbreak of WW II he served as a second lieutenant in an artillery unit.

In 1940 Klein was named by the Consistoire central israélite de France as rabbi for the Jewish youth in the Free Zone of France. He was responsible for all Jewish youth movements, the Jewish youths detained in various camps and the Jewish youth in Algeria. In 1941 he traveled along with is wife to Tlemcen, in Algeria, where he supervised the observing of kashrut and of Jewish holidays by the Jewish youth. The same year he was appointed rabbi of Aix-en-Provence, in addition to his previous positions. He settled in Marseille, where he established the Conseil directeur de la jeunesse juive (CDJJ).

After the German army took over the Free Zone in southern France in November 1942, Klein became the target of the French gendarmerie and of the Gestapo. In May 1943, Klein joined the France d'abord resistance movement becoming the head of a group based in Lyon. He managed to escape arrest a number of times during 1943-1944. After the Allied invasion of Normandy in June 1944, Klein joined the Maquis resistance fighters. Klein was arrested in Saint-Etienne in July 1944. Two days later, on July 7, 1944, he was executed along with another two Jews on a field at the edge of the village of Étrat à la Fouillouse near Saint-Etienne.

סנינה

SNINA

בהונגרית SZINNA

עיירה במזרח סלובקיה.


סנינה סמוכה לעיר הומנה (HUMENNE), בקרבת הגבול עם אוקראינה. עיקר פרנסת התושבים היא על היערות שבסביבה. עד 1918 הייתה העיירה בממלכת הונגריה ואחר כך, עד 1993, ברפובליקה הצ'כוסלובקית.

תחילת היישוב היהודי במקום אינו ידוע לנו; בשנת 1750 התפקדו בעיירה 19 יהודים בין 206 התושבים, שהיו רובם קתולים-יוונים. עדויות ראשונות לחיים יהודיים מאורגנים במקום משמשים מצבה בבית העלמין היהודי משנת 1843 ופנקס הקהילה מ-1851.

ב-1880 הצטרפה הקהילה לזרם הקהילות האורתודוקסיות. באותה השנה נפתח מקווה טהרה והתמנה רב הקהילה הראשון, הרב שמואל קראוס, וכיהן עד 1911. בית הכנסת הוקם ב- 1893.

עד 1918 פעל במקום בית ספר יהודי ממלכתי בהונגרית, בהנהלת המורה מנהיים מבודאפשט.

ב-1921, נפתחו בית תפילה, ששימש גם כבית מדרש, ושני "חדרים". מוסדות נוספים היו: "חברה קדישא"; אגודת נשים ואגודת "תלמוד תורה".

ב-1922 היו רשומים בספרי הקהילה 1,571 יהודים, מספר זה כלל כנראה גם את יהודי הכפרים בסביבה. בראש הקהילה עמדו אז הרב היינריך קליין, מ' סרולוביץ, נשיא הקהילה, ויעקב אייכלר מזכיר הקהילה ואחר כך מילא את תפקיד הנשיא.

רוב יהודי סנינה התפרנסו כסוחרים וכבעלי מלאכה. שני הרופאים ועורך-הדין היחיד של העיירה היו יהודים.

במלחמת העולם הראשונה נמלטו יהודים רבים מן המקום לפני פלישת הרוסים ושבו אחרי כמה חדשים. עם כנון הרפובליקה הצ'כוסלובקית, באוקטובר 1918, הוכרו היהודים כמיעוט לאומי בעל זכויות, וחלה התעוררות בפעילות חברתית ופוליטית בקהילה.

בין 1940-1922 פעלה בסנינה תנועה ציונית מאוחדת, ובה היו חברים אנשי "הפועל המזרחי", ה"ציונים כלליים" ו"בית"ר". בראש התנועה עמד ד"ר קורנפלד, במסגרתה למדו את עיקרי הציונות ועברית, ועסקו באיסוף תרומות לקרן הקיימת לישראל ולקרן היסוד.

ב-1930 חיו בסנינה 390 יהודים.


תקופת השואה

בעקבות הסכם מינכן מספטמבר 1938, כמעט שנה לפני פרוץ מלחמת העולם השנייה, התפרקה הרפובליקה הצ'כוסלובקית. סלובקיה הכריזה ב-6 באוקטובר על אוטונומיה וב-14 במארס 1939 נהייתה למדינה עצמאית גרורת גרמניה. חקיקה גזענית הרחיקה את היהודים מחיי החברה והכלכלה, עד שנושלו מזכויותיהם ומרכושם.

בין מארס לאוקטובר 1942 גורשו רוב יהודי סלובקיה למחנות ריכוז והשמדה על אדמת פולין. ב- 26 במארס שולחו כ-1,000 צעירות יהודיות לאושוויץ ולמחרת - 1,000 צעירים ללובלין. רוב המשפחות היהודיות מסנינה גורשו לפולין בחודש מאי 1942. מקצת היהודים נשלחו גם למחנות עבודה שהוקמו בסלובקיה. שמונה משפחות הורשו להשאר במקום, מקצתן קבלו פטור מגירוש מפני שבעלי המקצוע במשפחה היו מועילים לשלטונות ומקצתן - משום שבני המשפחה המירו את דתם. בסתיו 1944 שולחו לאושוויץ גם יהודים אלה, רק מעטים מהם ניצלו.


ב-1945, אחרי המלחמה, נתקלו הניצולים היהודים שחזרו לעיירה בהתפרצויות אנטישמיות. עשר נשים יהודיות, שחזרו מהמחנות, השתכנו בכפר קולבסוב (KOLBASOV), שבאזור סנינה. לילה אחד חדרה למקום קבוצת "בנדרים" (כנופיית פולנים אנטישמים בהנהגת סטפן בנדרה BANDERA) ורצחה את הנשים בשנתן, אשה אחת שהסתתרה ניצלה והיגרה אחר כך לארצות הברית. היהודים עזבו את סנינה תוך כמה שנים, רובם עלו לישראל. בסנינה וסביבתה לא נותרו יהודים. כל מוסדות הקהילה נהרסו ורק בית העלמין נותר.