חיפוש
הדפסה
שיתוף
הפריט שבחרת:
1 \ 3
נמחקו
נוספו
מקום
רוצה לעזור לנו לשפר את התוכן? אפשר לשלוח הצעות

קהילת יהודי ארפורט

ארפורט (Erfurt)


עיר בתורינגיה, גרמניה. עד מלחמת העולם השנייה השתייכה ארפורט למחוז סקסוניה.

המאה ה-21

ב-1998 בית הכנסת העתיק שוחזר ומתקיימים לימודי יהדות בו. ב-2003 נמנו בקהילה 550 אנשים, רובם מהגרים מברית המועצות לשעבר. ראש הקהילה הוא ריינהרד שארם ורב הקהילה הוא קונסנטין פאל. קיים מרכז תרבות של הקהילה ובו מתקיימים שיעורי יהדות וחברה כגון: קונצרטים, תכניות רדיו ומפגשים על כוס קפה. בית העלמין היהודי הישן נסגר ונפתח בית עלמין חדש. הוקם בו חדר טהרה והספדים נאמרים בסגנון מיוחד . בעיר מתקיימים סיורים במוזיאון, בבית הכנסת העתיק ובמקווה העתיק.

היסטוריה

היהודים מוזכרים לראשונה בארפורט במאה ה-12. בתחילה תחת חסותו של המלך, ובמחצית השנייה של המאה ה-12 הם עברו לסמכותו של הארכיבישוף ממיינץ, שחיבר עבורם נוסח שבועה בגרמנית. ב-1209 ויתר המלך גם על זכותו לגבות מסים מהיהודים, ובשנת 1212 הוענקה הזכות במפורש לארכיבישוף.  בפרעות שהתחוללו ב-1221 נשרף בית הכנסת. יהודים נרצחו או השליכו את עצמם לתוך הלהבות; ביניהם היה הפייטן והחזן שמואל בן קלונימוס. אף על פי כן, הקהילה היהודית של ארפורט המשיכה להתקיים ואף התרחבה. לאחר זמן מה הוקם בית כנסת חדש, ורבנים מפורסמים בחרו בארפורט כמקום מושבם. לפי המשוער, בין 1286 ל-1293, ר' אשר בן יחיאל (הרא"ש) וקלונימוס בן אליעזר הנקדן בעל "מסורה קטנה", גרו בארפורט. כתב היד של קלונימוס בן אליעזר שמור בארפורט עד היום. במהלך ימי הביניים ניהלו יהודי ארפוט את טקס התפילה בנוסח של סקסוניה. ספר הפולחן של הקהילה נשמר במכללת היהודים, לונדון (מס' 104, 4).

בתחילת המאה ה-14 ההגנה על היהודים עברה לידי העירייה. אך הגנה זו לא הועילה, ובתחילת במרס 1349 התרגשה עליהם שואת "המגיפה השחורה" שבה נרצחו יותר ממאה איש ורבים שלחו אש בבתיהם ומתו על קידוש השם, ביניהם ר' אלכסנדר זוסלין הכהן, בעל "ספר האגודה". היהודים הנותרים גורשו מן העיר. ישראל בן יואל זוסלין מזכיר את הקדושים המעונים של ארפורט בקינה (ספר הדמעות, 2, 126-7). ב-1357 מועצת העיר התירה ליהודים לשוב ולגור בעיר ולבנות בית כנסת חדש. ב-1391 ביטל המלך את כל חובות הנוצרים ליהודי ארפורט והעבירם לידי העירייה תמורת 2,000 גולדן. העירייה תבעה את הסכום הזה מן היהודים, אך הבטיחה להחזיר להם חלק מהחובות. לאחר מכן נאלצו היהודים לשלם מס מיוחד לאוצר המלך.

בשנת 1418 הם נאלצו להצהיר בשבועה, על גודל רכושם, בבית הכנסת, והמלך גבה מהם מסים חדשים על בסיס זה. בשנת 1458 היהודים גורשו שוב מן העיר.

במאה ה-15 נמנתה ארפורט עם הקהילות הגדולות והחשובות ביותר בגרמניה, בהנהגת גדולי תורה: ר' מאיר בן ברוך הלוי; תלמידו היה ר' הלל מארפורט. באמצע המאה ר' יעקב בן יהודה וייל לימד בארפורט. בתקופה זו מילאו יהודי ארפורט תפקיד חשוב בבנקאות בתורינגיה.

בסביבות 1820 השתמשו השלטונות הפרוסיים במצבות של בית העלמין היהודי למען ביצור העיר.

היישוב היהודי התחדש בארפורט בעשור השני של המאה ה-19, כאשר הוקם בית כנסת חדש, וגדל מ-144 נפש ב-1844 לכדי 546 בערך ב-1880 (1.03% מכלל האוכלוסייה); 795 ב-1910 (0.72%); ו-831 ב-1933 (%0.6 מכלל האוכלוסייה).

לאחר עליית הנאצים, עזבו רוב היהודים את ארפורט, ב-1939 נמנו רק 263 יהודים בעיר. ב-9 בנובמבר 1938 הועלה בית הכנסת באש והקהילה נאלצה לשלם את מחיר הדלק ששימש להצתה ובעד פינוי ההריסות. הגברים הוחזקו בתנאי השפלה בבית ספר מקומי וגורשו לבוכנוואלד. 173 היהודים האחרונים בעיר הועברו לטרזיינשטאדט בפברואר 1945.

הקהילה היהודית אחרי השואה

הקהילה חודשה אחרי השואה. בשנת 1952 נבנו בית כנסת חדש ומקווה. בשנת 1961 התגוררו בעיר 120 יהודים. הוצא ספר זיכרון לקורבנות השואה. בשנת 1998 שוחזר בית הכנסת העתיק ומתקיימים בו שיעורי יהדות. בארכיון המרכזי לתולדות העם היהודי בירושלים שמורים פנקסי קהילת ארפורט לשנים 1936-1855. אחד מכתבי היד המפורסמים של התוספתא נמצא בארפורט, ונקרא על שמה. על פי סול ליברמן, בהקדמה למהדורת התוספתא בי-פשוטו, התוספתא נכתבה כנראה במאה ה-12 בגרמניה.

 

סוג מקום:
עיר
מספר פריט:
182400
חובר ע"י חוקרים של אנו מוזיאון העם היהודי
מקומות קרובים:

פריטים קשורים:
Talmudist

He taught in his native Efurt and also in Worms, Cologne and Frankfurt on Main. He was living in Frankfurt in 1345 but then resettled in Erfurt where he died the death of a martyr. He is the last of the early German halakhic authorities.His best known work is Agudda, which collects his legal decisions and arranges them according to the order of the tractates of the Talmud. Under the pressures of the expulsions and persecutions of his time, it is written very concisely.
Brand, Joel Jeno (1906-1964), member of Va'adat Ezrah va-Hazzalah, the Budapest Jewish relief committee set up during World War II, born in Naszod, Hungary (then part of Austria-Hungary, today Nasaud, in Romania). Brand moved to Erfurt, Germany, with his family in 1910. Active in left-wing politics, he was arrested in 1933, but released in September 1934. He escaped to Transylvania, Romania, and from there went to Budapest, where he joined Po'alei Zion, and at a Zionist training farm met Hansi Hartmann, whom he married in 1935.

From 1938 Brand was active in a semi-clandestine organization for helping Jewish refugees, establishing contact with German Nazi agents who were then secretly working in Hungary. In January 1943 the Va'adat Ezrah va-Hazzalah was formally established in Budapest under the leadership of Otto Komoly, aided by Rezsoe (Rudolf) Kasztner. As a member of this committee, Brand met Adolf Eichmann, on whose orders he left for neutral Turkey on May 17, 1944, to present the Jewish Agency with a German proposition (the sincerity of which has never been established) to prevent the extermination of Hungarian Jewry in exchange for a supply of trucks and other equipment. He had hoped to meet Moshe Shertok (Sharett) in Turkey, but Shertok was prevented by the British authorities from traveling to Turkey, and Brand, having been persuaded by Jewish Agency officials in Istanbul, continued to Palestine to conclude negotiations there. He was arrested in Aleppo, Syria, by the British, who claimed that they suspected him of being a Nazi agent, and was taken to Cairo, Egypt. On October 7, 1944, he was released in Jerusalem, but in the meantime Hungarian Jews from the provinces had already been deported, mainly to Auschwitz where the majority were killed.

Brand remained in Erez Israel, and after World War 2 devoted himself to tracking down Nazi war criminals. Both Brand and his wife, who was also active in the Va'adat Ezrah va'Hazzakah, testified at the Eichmann trial in Jerusalem.

Brand died in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, where he was testifying against Hermann Krumey and Otto Hunsche, two of Eichmann's chief aides. The story of Brand's mission was dramatized by Heinar Kipphardt in his play "Die Geschichte eines Geschaefts" (1965).
תחרות אבירים בין אקלזיה לסינגוגה.
אקלזיה על הסוס מפלחת את סינגוגה,
הרכובה על חזירה, עיניה סגורות ולראשה כובע יהודים.
לוח עץ צדדי במושב המקהלה,
קתדרלת ארפורט, תורינגיה, גרמניה, 1410-1400.
בית הכנסת החדש בארפורט, מדינת תורינגיה, גרמניה 1987.
בית הכנסת החדש בארפורט הוקם ב-1952 על המקום בו עמד בית הכנסת הישן, שנהרס ב"ליל הבדולח", נובמבר 1938.
פנים בית הכנסת החדש בארפורט, מדינת תורינגיה, גרמניה.
בית הכנסת הוקם מחדש ב-1952, במקום בו עמד בית הכנסת הישן,
שנהרס ב"ליל הבדולח", נובמבר 1938.
Talmudist

He taught in his native Efurt and also in Worms, Cologne and Frankfurt on Main. He was living in Frankfurt in 1345 but then resettled in Erfurt where he died the death of a martyr. He is the last of the early German halakhic authorities.His best known work is Agudda, which collects his legal decisions and arranges them according to the order of the tractates of the Talmud. Under the pressures of the expulsions and persecutions of his time, it is written very concisely.
Rabbi

His main teacher was Yaakov Moellin (the Maharil) who ordained him and appointed him rabbi of Nuremberg, Germany. He was then in Augsburg and in Bamberg for a short period before becoming rabbi of Erfurt in 1444. Weil was noted for his responsa which were published. Many distinguished scholars directed their queries to him. His rulings on the laws of ritual slaughter became standard. His responsa are also a valuable source for the social history of German Jewry in his time.
Brand, Joel Jeno (1906-1964), member of Va'adat Ezrah va-Hazzalah, the Budapest Jewish relief committee set up during World War II, born in Naszod, Hungary (then part of Austria-Hungary, today Nasaud, in Romania). Brand moved to Erfurt, Germany, with his family in 1910. Active in left-wing politics, he was arrested in 1933, but released in September 1934. He escaped to Transylvania, Romania, and from there went to Budapest, where he joined Po'alei Zion, and at a Zionist training farm met Hansi Hartmann, whom he married in 1935.

From 1938 Brand was active in a semi-clandestine organization for helping Jewish refugees, establishing contact with German Nazi agents who were then secretly working in Hungary. In January 1943 the Va'adat Ezrah va-Hazzalah was formally established in Budapest under the leadership of Otto Komoly, aided by Rezsoe (Rudolf) Kasztner. As a member of this committee, Brand met Adolf Eichmann, on whose orders he left for neutral Turkey on May 17, 1944, to present the Jewish Agency with a German proposition (the sincerity of which has never been established) to prevent the extermination of Hungarian Jewry in exchange for a supply of trucks and other equipment. He had hoped to meet Moshe Shertok (Sharett) in Turkey, but Shertok was prevented by the British authorities from traveling to Turkey, and Brand, having been persuaded by Jewish Agency officials in Istanbul, continued to Palestine to conclude negotiations there. He was arrested in Aleppo, Syria, by the British, who claimed that they suspected him of being a Nazi agent, and was taken to Cairo, Egypt. On October 7, 1944, he was released in Jerusalem, but in the meantime Hungarian Jews from the provinces had already been deported, mainly to Auschwitz where the majority were killed.

Brand remained in Erez Israel, and after World War 2 devoted himself to tracking down Nazi war criminals. Both Brand and his wife, who was also active in the Va'adat Ezrah va'Hazzakah, testified at the Eichmann trial in Jerusalem.

Brand died in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, where he was testifying against Hermann Krumey and Otto Hunsche, two of Eichmann's chief aides. The story of Brand's mission was dramatized by Heinar Kipphardt in his play "Die Geschichte eines Geschaefts" (1965).

עיר המבצר טוזין (בגרמנית - טרזיינשטאדט) שבצפון-מערב צ'כיה הוקמה בימי הקיסר יוזף השני ונקראה על שם אמו מריה-תרזה. ב-1941 תכננו הנאצים לרכז בטרזין את רוב יהודי הפרוטקטוראט של בוהמיה ומורביה וכן יהודים קשישים, ידועי שם ובעלי זכויות מיוחדות, ומשם להעבירם בהדרגה למחנות ההשמדה. ואכן, הם הפכו את העיר לגטו, ובין 4 לנובמבר 1941 ל-20 באפריל 1945 גירשו אליו כ-140,000 יהודים. בספטמבר 1942 הגיעה אוכלוסיית הגטו לשיא (53,000 נפש). מתוך היהודים שעברו בגטו מתו בו כ-33,000 ו-80,000 גורשו למחנות ההשמדה. בסתיו 1944 נותרו בטרזין 11,000 נפש בלבד.

רוב היהודים בטרזין היו מתבוללים, רבים מהם אמנים, סופרים ומלומדים, ובעזרתם התארגנו חיי תרבות אינטנסיביים: תזמורות, להקת אופרה, תיאטרון ובימות בידור וסאטירה. בהקמת הגטו ובהפעלתו ביקשו הגרמנים להסוות את השמדת יהודי אירופה מפני דעת הקהל בעולם, וזאת על ידי הצגת טרזין כיישוב יהודי לדוגמא.

Apolda

A town and the capital of the Weimarer Land district in Thuringia, Germany.

It was not until 1850 that Jewish life was established in Apolda. Around 1900, a religious association "Israelite Religious Community of Apolda" was constituted. In 1880 there lived twelve Jews in Apolda, in 1885 there were 39, in 1895 47 and in 1905 their number increased to 62.

The Jewish community in Apolda held their services in a prayer hall on the upper floor of the "Civic Association".  However, by mid-1920s, there seemed that any  organized Jewish life in Apolda ceased to exist. The prayer hall was used for a different purpose and there was only one school-age child who was taught by the teacher of the Arnstadt Jewish community. In Apolda there was no cemetery, the dead were buried in the cemetery of the Jewish community in Erfurt.

Despite the fact that there was no organized Jewish community in Apolda, at the 1933 census, 80 people still claimed their affiliation with Judaism. They were persecuted by the Nazis. During the Pogrom Night (Nov. 9, 1938),  the Jewish shops in Apolda were destroyed and later demolished. The Jewish inhabitants who remained in Apolda were deported from May 1942 to Nazi concentration camps. The building containing the community's prayer room was demolished in 1993. The residential and commercial building of the fur trader Bernhard Prager is reminiscent of the Apolda Jewish life. It serves as a place of commemoration and remembrance.

-------------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

ארנשטאדט

עיר בתורינגיה, גרמניה. עד 1990 במזרח גרמניה.


במאה ה-13 קיימו יהודי המקום קשרים הדוקים עם קהילת ארפורט, שאליה היגרו, מאוחר יותר, רבים מהם. ארבעה התפרצויות אנטי-יהודיות בין השנים 1264 ו-1466 הסתיימו במעשי טבח, ולאחריהן גורשו היהודים מן העיר. קהילה יהודית הוקמה  מחדש במאה ה-19. ב-1880 נמנו 59 יהודים בקהילה, 137 ב-1910, 87 ב-1933, ו-56 ב-1939. רוב היהודים שגרו בארנשטאדט עשו חיל, הם עסקו בעיקר בסחר בבקר ובבנקאות.

בית הכנסת שהוקם ב-1913 נשרף על ידי הנאצים ב-10 בנובמבר 1938.

הקהילה לא חודשה אחרי מלחמת העולם השנייה.

Weimar

A city in Thuringia, Germany.

A few Jews lived in Weimar as early as the Middle Ages. They were affected by the plague pogroms as well as by the expulsion from the Wettin areas. It was not until the 18th century that a small private community could be constituted. In April 1770 Duchess Anna Amalia von Weimar appointed Jacob Elkan to a court Jew in the Principality of Weimar. In the following years two more families moved to Weimar, so that in 1789 three Jewish families lived in the town.

These joined together to form a "private community". In 1805 Jacob Elkan set up a prayer room and a mikveh in his house, this building still exists today and is located at 25 Windischenstrasse. The initials of the community founder's name can still be read on the capstone of the entrance portal. After Elkan's death the building was used exclusively for residential purposes. Presumably from 1805 religious services were held in other private rooms of the Löser or Ulmann families. Jacob Elkan was also the founder of a Jewish cemetery in Weimar, which was used from 1774 to 1898. In the 20th century the site fell into disrepair and was then used as an orchard after the property passed into non-Jewish ownership. In 1983 part of the Jewish cemetery was restored and is now a memorial.

A religious community in the sense of a corporation under public law, could never be founded in Weimar. In 1903 some of the Jewish residents of Weimar joined together in the "Israelite Religious Association" which in 1925 had 25 members. In addition 80 other Jews lived in Weimar who did not join the association. In 1933 there were 91 Jewish inhabitants and in 1939 there were still eleven Jewish families  living here. In the years between 1942 and 1945, the Jewish residents who remained in Weimar were deported to the Nazi concentration and death camps in Eastern Europe. With the last deportations Jewish life in Weimar was irretrievably destroyed.

------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

Bad Langensalza

A spa town in the Unstrut-Hainich district, Thuringia, Germany.

In the Middle Ages there was a small Jewish community in Bad Langensalza, whose existence was interrupted by the destruction of the town and the exile in 1436. The community operated a cemetery and a synagogue which was located at 4 Judengasse and no longer exists. The cemetery on the Jüdenhügel no longer exists either. In the 19th and 20th centuries some Jews moved to the town again, but they joined the community in Mühlhausen. An independent Langensalza community was not founded. Nevertheless the Langensalza Jews were also affected by the National Socialist persecutions. There is evidence that five Jewish residents of Langensalza - Fritz, Irma, and Guenther Schlesinger, Nettchen and Arthur Gossman, were murdered in the Nazi concentration camps. After the end of WW II, only one Jewish resident of Langensalza, Jacob Salomon, returned to the town. 

---------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

Rudolstadt

A town and seat of the  of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt district in Thuringia, Germany.

In the Middle Ages there were occasional short time settlements of Jews in Rudolstadt. There was a more permanent Jewish settlement between 1784 and 1874. During these 90 years the community operated a prayer room in the private rooms of the merchant Schwabe and a cemetery that was destroyed during the Nazi era. Until 1816 there was also a mikveh in Ludwigsburg in Rudolstadt. In the first half of the 20th century there were still a few Jewish families living in Rudolstadt who attended religious services in Saalfeld on high holidays. Today only the buildings in which the prayer rooms were, are kept as residential houses. Any traces or references to Jewish life no longer exist in Rudolstadt.

--------------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

Jena

A city in Thuringia, Germany.

Around 1400 there was a small Jewish community in Jena. In 1431 a synagogue that was located on Jüdengasse and Leutragasse is mentioned. From the middle of the 16th century to 1850 Jews were forbidden to settle in Jena. It was not until the second half of the 19th century that a small Jewish community formed again, but it never received the status of a religious community. The newly founded "Israelite Religious Community" endeavored to provide regular religious instruction for school-age children and worship service. Both took place in the private rooms of community members. The buildings in Scheidlerstrasse 3 and in the former Schützenstrasse 52 are now privately owned and used as residential buildings. The number of members of the Jena community developed as follows: In 1880 there were 30 Jewish residents in Jena, in 1890 there were 64, in 1895 already 85, in 1900 the number fell to 61 and in 1905 there were 145 Jews in Jena. The deceased of the community were buried in the Jewish cemetery of the Erfurt community. Although the Jena congregation was given the opportunity to set up a burial place in a separate section of the Catholic cemetery, the predominantly conservative congregation refused.

In 1925 there were 277 Jewish residents in Jena. In 1933 it was less than half with 111. By the end of 1938 all Jewish businesses were "Aryanized" or closed, the Jews living in Jena at that time were crammed into so-called "Jewish houses". From 1942 the deportations to the to the Nazi concentration camps began. After the end of the war eleven survivors of Jena Jews returned from Theresienstadt, and they again founded a small community which only existed for a very short time.

It was only after 1990 when the USSR collapsed, that Jewish emigrants came to Jena and formed a new community.

----------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

במאגרי המידע הפתוחים
גניאולוגיה יהודית
שמות משפחה
קהילות יהודיות
תיעוד חזותי
מרכז המוזיקה היהודית
מקום
אA
אA
אA
רוצה לעזור לנו לשפר את התוכן? אפשר לשלוח הצעות
קהילת יהודי ארפורט

ארפורט (Erfurt)


עיר בתורינגיה, גרמניה. עד מלחמת העולם השנייה השתייכה ארפורט למחוז סקסוניה.

המאה ה-21

ב-1998 בית הכנסת העתיק שוחזר ומתקיימים לימודי יהדות בו. ב-2003 נמנו בקהילה 550 אנשים, רובם מהגרים מברית המועצות לשעבר. ראש הקהילה הוא ריינהרד שארם ורב הקהילה הוא קונסנטין פאל. קיים מרכז תרבות של הקהילה ובו מתקיימים שיעורי יהדות וחברה כגון: קונצרטים, תכניות רדיו ומפגשים על כוס קפה. בית העלמין היהודי הישן נסגר ונפתח בית עלמין חדש. הוקם בו חדר טהרה והספדים נאמרים בסגנון מיוחד . בעיר מתקיימים סיורים במוזיאון, בבית הכנסת העתיק ובמקווה העתיק.

היסטוריה

היהודים מוזכרים לראשונה בארפורט במאה ה-12. בתחילה תחת חסותו של המלך, ובמחצית השנייה של המאה ה-12 הם עברו לסמכותו של הארכיבישוף ממיינץ, שחיבר עבורם נוסח שבועה בגרמנית. ב-1209 ויתר המלך גם על זכותו לגבות מסים מהיהודים, ובשנת 1212 הוענקה הזכות במפורש לארכיבישוף.  בפרעות שהתחוללו ב-1221 נשרף בית הכנסת. יהודים נרצחו או השליכו את עצמם לתוך הלהבות; ביניהם היה הפייטן והחזן שמואל בן קלונימוס. אף על פי כן, הקהילה היהודית של ארפורט המשיכה להתקיים ואף התרחבה. לאחר זמן מה הוקם בית כנסת חדש, ורבנים מפורסמים בחרו בארפורט כמקום מושבם. לפי המשוער, בין 1286 ל-1293, ר' אשר בן יחיאל (הרא"ש) וקלונימוס בן אליעזר הנקדן בעל "מסורה קטנה", גרו בארפורט. כתב היד של קלונימוס בן אליעזר שמור בארפורט עד היום. במהלך ימי הביניים ניהלו יהודי ארפוט את טקס התפילה בנוסח של סקסוניה. ספר הפולחן של הקהילה נשמר במכללת היהודים, לונדון (מס' 104, 4).

בתחילת המאה ה-14 ההגנה על היהודים עברה לידי העירייה. אך הגנה זו לא הועילה, ובתחילת במרס 1349 התרגשה עליהם שואת "המגיפה השחורה" שבה נרצחו יותר ממאה איש ורבים שלחו אש בבתיהם ומתו על קידוש השם, ביניהם ר' אלכסנדר זוסלין הכהן, בעל "ספר האגודה". היהודים הנותרים גורשו מן העיר. ישראל בן יואל זוסלין מזכיר את הקדושים המעונים של ארפורט בקינה (ספר הדמעות, 2, 126-7). ב-1357 מועצת העיר התירה ליהודים לשוב ולגור בעיר ולבנות בית כנסת חדש. ב-1391 ביטל המלך את כל חובות הנוצרים ליהודי ארפורט והעבירם לידי העירייה תמורת 2,000 גולדן. העירייה תבעה את הסכום הזה מן היהודים, אך הבטיחה להחזיר להם חלק מהחובות. לאחר מכן נאלצו היהודים לשלם מס מיוחד לאוצר המלך.

בשנת 1418 הם נאלצו להצהיר בשבועה, על גודל רכושם, בבית הכנסת, והמלך גבה מהם מסים חדשים על בסיס זה. בשנת 1458 היהודים גורשו שוב מן העיר.

במאה ה-15 נמנתה ארפורט עם הקהילות הגדולות והחשובות ביותר בגרמניה, בהנהגת גדולי תורה: ר' מאיר בן ברוך הלוי; תלמידו היה ר' הלל מארפורט. באמצע המאה ר' יעקב בן יהודה וייל לימד בארפורט. בתקופה זו מילאו יהודי ארפורט תפקיד חשוב בבנקאות בתורינגיה.

בסביבות 1820 השתמשו השלטונות הפרוסיים במצבות של בית העלמין היהודי למען ביצור העיר.

היישוב היהודי התחדש בארפורט בעשור השני של המאה ה-19, כאשר הוקם בית כנסת חדש, וגדל מ-144 נפש ב-1844 לכדי 546 בערך ב-1880 (1.03% מכלל האוכלוסייה); 795 ב-1910 (0.72%); ו-831 ב-1933 (%0.6 מכלל האוכלוסייה).

לאחר עליית הנאצים, עזבו רוב היהודים את ארפורט, ב-1939 נמנו רק 263 יהודים בעיר. ב-9 בנובמבר 1938 הועלה בית הכנסת באש והקהילה נאלצה לשלם את מחיר הדלק ששימש להצתה ובעד פינוי ההריסות. הגברים הוחזקו בתנאי השפלה בבית ספר מקומי וגורשו לבוכנוואלד. 173 היהודים האחרונים בעיר הועברו לטרזיינשטאדט בפברואר 1945.

הקהילה היהודית אחרי השואה

הקהילה חודשה אחרי השואה. בשנת 1952 נבנו בית כנסת חדש ומקווה. בשנת 1961 התגוררו בעיר 120 יהודים. הוצא ספר זיכרון לקורבנות השואה. בשנת 1998 שוחזר בית הכנסת העתיק ומתקיימים בו שיעורי יהדות. בארכיון המרכזי לתולדות העם היהודי בירושלים שמורים פנקסי קהילת ארפורט לשנים 1936-1855. אחד מכתבי היד המפורסמים של התוספתא נמצא בארפורט, ונקרא על שמה. על פי סול ליברמן, בהקדמה למהדורת התוספתא בי-פשוטו, התוספתא נכתבה כנראה במאה ה-12 בגרמניה.

 

חובר ע"י חוקרים של אנו מוזיאון העם היהודי

ינה
רודלשטדט
באד לנגנזלצה
ויימאר
ארנשטאדט
אפולדה
טרזיינשטאט - טרזין

Jena

A city in Thuringia, Germany.

Around 1400 there was a small Jewish community in Jena. In 1431 a synagogue that was located on Jüdengasse and Leutragasse is mentioned. From the middle of the 16th century to 1850 Jews were forbidden to settle in Jena. It was not until the second half of the 19th century that a small Jewish community formed again, but it never received the status of a religious community. The newly founded "Israelite Religious Community" endeavored to provide regular religious instruction for school-age children and worship service. Both took place in the private rooms of community members. The buildings in Scheidlerstrasse 3 and in the former Schützenstrasse 52 are now privately owned and used as residential buildings. The number of members of the Jena community developed as follows: In 1880 there were 30 Jewish residents in Jena, in 1890 there were 64, in 1895 already 85, in 1900 the number fell to 61 and in 1905 there were 145 Jews in Jena. The deceased of the community were buried in the Jewish cemetery of the Erfurt community. Although the Jena congregation was given the opportunity to set up a burial place in a separate section of the Catholic cemetery, the predominantly conservative congregation refused.

In 1925 there were 277 Jewish residents in Jena. In 1933 it was less than half with 111. By the end of 1938 all Jewish businesses were "Aryanized" or closed, the Jews living in Jena at that time were crammed into so-called "Jewish houses". From 1942 the deportations to the to the Nazi concentration camps began. After the end of the war eleven survivors of Jena Jews returned from Theresienstadt, and they again founded a small community which only existed for a very short time.

It was only after 1990 when the USSR collapsed, that Jewish emigrants came to Jena and formed a new community.

----------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

Rudolstadt

A town and seat of the  of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt district in Thuringia, Germany.

In the Middle Ages there were occasional short time settlements of Jews in Rudolstadt. There was a more permanent Jewish settlement between 1784 and 1874. During these 90 years the community operated a prayer room in the private rooms of the merchant Schwabe and a cemetery that was destroyed during the Nazi era. Until 1816 there was also a mikveh in Ludwigsburg in Rudolstadt. In the first half of the 20th century there were still a few Jewish families living in Rudolstadt who attended religious services in Saalfeld on high holidays. Today only the buildings in which the prayer rooms were, are kept as residential houses. Any traces or references to Jewish life no longer exist in Rudolstadt.

--------------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

Bad Langensalza

A spa town in the Unstrut-Hainich district, Thuringia, Germany.

In the Middle Ages there was a small Jewish community in Bad Langensalza, whose existence was interrupted by the destruction of the town and the exile in 1436. The community operated a cemetery and a synagogue which was located at 4 Judengasse and no longer exists. The cemetery on the Jüdenhügel no longer exists either. In the 19th and 20th centuries some Jews moved to the town again, but they joined the community in Mühlhausen. An independent Langensalza community was not founded. Nevertheless the Langensalza Jews were also affected by the National Socialist persecutions. There is evidence that five Jewish residents of Langensalza - Fritz, Irma, and Guenther Schlesinger, Nettchen and Arthur Gossman, were murdered in the Nazi concentration camps. After the end of WW II, only one Jewish resident of Langensalza, Jacob Salomon, returned to the town. 

---------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

Weimar

A city in Thuringia, Germany.

A few Jews lived in Weimar as early as the Middle Ages. They were affected by the plague pogroms as well as by the expulsion from the Wettin areas. It was not until the 18th century that a small private community could be constituted. In April 1770 Duchess Anna Amalia von Weimar appointed Jacob Elkan to a court Jew in the Principality of Weimar. In the following years two more families moved to Weimar, so that in 1789 three Jewish families lived in the town.

These joined together to form a "private community". In 1805 Jacob Elkan set up a prayer room and a mikveh in his house, this building still exists today and is located at 25 Windischenstrasse. The initials of the community founder's name can still be read on the capstone of the entrance portal. After Elkan's death the building was used exclusively for residential purposes. Presumably from 1805 religious services were held in other private rooms of the Löser or Ulmann families. Jacob Elkan was also the founder of a Jewish cemetery in Weimar, which was used from 1774 to 1898. In the 20th century the site fell into disrepair and was then used as an orchard after the property passed into non-Jewish ownership. In 1983 part of the Jewish cemetery was restored and is now a memorial.

A religious community in the sense of a corporation under public law, could never be founded in Weimar. In 1903 some of the Jewish residents of Weimar joined together in the "Israelite Religious Association" which in 1925 had 25 members. In addition 80 other Jews lived in Weimar who did not join the association. In 1933 there were 91 Jewish inhabitants and in 1939 there were still eleven Jewish families  living here. In the years between 1942 and 1945, the Jewish residents who remained in Weimar were deported to the Nazi concentration and death camps in Eastern Europe. With the last deportations Jewish life in Weimar was irretrievably destroyed.

------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

ארנשטאדט

עיר בתורינגיה, גרמניה. עד 1990 במזרח גרמניה.


במאה ה-13 קיימו יהודי המקום קשרים הדוקים עם קהילת ארפורט, שאליה היגרו, מאוחר יותר, רבים מהם. ארבעה התפרצויות אנטי-יהודיות בין השנים 1264 ו-1466 הסתיימו במעשי טבח, ולאחריהן גורשו היהודים מן העיר. קהילה יהודית הוקמה  מחדש במאה ה-19. ב-1880 נמנו 59 יהודים בקהילה, 137 ב-1910, 87 ב-1933, ו-56 ב-1939. רוב היהודים שגרו בארנשטאדט עשו חיל, הם עסקו בעיקר בסחר בבקר ובבנקאות.

בית הכנסת שהוקם ב-1913 נשרף על ידי הנאצים ב-10 בנובמבר 1938.

הקהילה לא חודשה אחרי מלחמת העולם השנייה.

Apolda

A town and the capital of the Weimarer Land district in Thuringia, Germany.

It was not until 1850 that Jewish life was established in Apolda. Around 1900, a religious association "Israelite Religious Community of Apolda" was constituted. In 1880 there lived twelve Jews in Apolda, in 1885 there were 39, in 1895 47 and in 1905 their number increased to 62.

The Jewish community in Apolda held their services in a prayer hall on the upper floor of the "Civic Association".  However, by mid-1920s, there seemed that any  organized Jewish life in Apolda ceased to exist. The prayer hall was used for a different purpose and there was only one school-age child who was taught by the teacher of the Arnstadt Jewish community. In Apolda there was no cemetery, the dead were buried in the cemetery of the Jewish community in Erfurt.

Despite the fact that there was no organized Jewish community in Apolda, at the 1933 census, 80 people still claimed their affiliation with Judaism. They were persecuted by the Nazis. During the Pogrom Night (Nov. 9, 1938),  the Jewish shops in Apolda were destroyed and later demolished. The Jewish inhabitants who remained in Apolda were deported from May 1942 to Nazi concentration camps. The building containing the community's prayer room was demolished in 1993. The residential and commercial building of the fur trader Bernhard Prager is reminiscent of the Apolda Jewish life. It serves as a place of commemoration and remembrance.

-------------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

עיר המבצר טוזין (בגרמנית - טרזיינשטאדט) שבצפון-מערב צ'כיה הוקמה בימי הקיסר יוזף השני ונקראה על שם אמו מריה-תרזה. ב-1941 תכננו הנאצים לרכז בטרזין את רוב יהודי הפרוטקטוראט של בוהמיה ומורביה וכן יהודים קשישים, ידועי שם ובעלי זכויות מיוחדות, ומשם להעבירם בהדרגה למחנות ההשמדה. ואכן, הם הפכו את העיר לגטו, ובין 4 לנובמבר 1941 ל-20 באפריל 1945 גירשו אליו כ-140,000 יהודים. בספטמבר 1942 הגיעה אוכלוסיית הגטו לשיא (53,000 נפש). מתוך היהודים שעברו בגטו מתו בו כ-33,000 ו-80,000 גורשו למחנות ההשמדה. בסתיו 1944 נותרו בטרזין 11,000 נפש בלבד.

רוב היהודים בטרזין היו מתבוללים, רבים מהם אמנים, סופרים ומלומדים, ובעזרתם התארגנו חיי תרבות אינטנסיביים: תזמורות, להקת אופרה, תיאטרון ובימות בידור וסאטירה. בהקמת הגטו ובהפעלתו ביקשו הגרמנים להסוות את השמדת יהודי אירופה מפני דעת הקהל בעולם, וזאת על ידי הצגת טרזין כיישוב יהודי לדוגמא.

ויימאר

Weimar

A city in Thuringia, Germany.

A few Jews lived in Weimar as early as the Middle Ages. They were affected by the plague pogroms as well as by the expulsion from the Wettin areas. It was not until the 18th century that a small private community could be constituted. In April 1770 Duchess Anna Amalia von Weimar appointed Jacob Elkan to a court Jew in the Principality of Weimar. In the following years two more families moved to Weimar, so that in 1789 three Jewish families lived in the town.

These joined together to form a "private community". In 1805 Jacob Elkan set up a prayer room and a mikveh in his house, this building still exists today and is located at 25 Windischenstrasse. The initials of the community founder's name can still be read on the capstone of the entrance portal. After Elkan's death the building was used exclusively for residential purposes. Presumably from 1805 religious services were held in other private rooms of the Löser or Ulmann families. Jacob Elkan was also the founder of a Jewish cemetery in Weimar, which was used from 1774 to 1898. In the 20th century the site fell into disrepair and was then used as an orchard after the property passed into non-Jewish ownership. In 1983 part of the Jewish cemetery was restored and is now a memorial.

A religious community in the sense of a corporation under public law, could never be founded in Weimar. In 1903 some of the Jewish residents of Weimar joined together in the "Israelite Religious Association" which in 1925 had 25 members. In addition 80 other Jews lived in Weimar who did not join the association. In 1933 there were 91 Jewish inhabitants and in 1939 there were still eleven Jewish families  living here. In the years between 1942 and 1945, the Jewish residents who remained in Weimar were deported to the Nazi concentration and death camps in Eastern Europe. With the last deportations Jewish life in Weimar was irretrievably destroyed.

------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

Weil, Yaakov Ben Yehuda
ברנד, יואל
הכהן, אלכסנדר זוסלין
ישראל בן יואל
Rabbi

His main teacher was Yaakov Moellin (the Maharil) who ordained him and appointed him rabbi of Nuremberg, Germany. He was then in Augsburg and in Bamberg for a short period before becoming rabbi of Erfurt in 1444. Weil was noted for his responsa which were published. Many distinguished scholars directed their queries to him. His rulings on the laws of ritual slaughter became standard. His responsa are also a valuable source for the social history of German Jewry in his time.
Brand, Joel Jeno (1906-1964), member of Va'adat Ezrah va-Hazzalah, the Budapest Jewish relief committee set up during World War II, born in Naszod, Hungary (then part of Austria-Hungary, today Nasaud, in Romania). Brand moved to Erfurt, Germany, with his family in 1910. Active in left-wing politics, he was arrested in 1933, but released in September 1934. He escaped to Transylvania, Romania, and from there went to Budapest, where he joined Po'alei Zion, and at a Zionist training farm met Hansi Hartmann, whom he married in 1935.

From 1938 Brand was active in a semi-clandestine organization for helping Jewish refugees, establishing contact with German Nazi agents who were then secretly working in Hungary. In January 1943 the Va'adat Ezrah va-Hazzalah was formally established in Budapest under the leadership of Otto Komoly, aided by Rezsoe (Rudolf) Kasztner. As a member of this committee, Brand met Adolf Eichmann, on whose orders he left for neutral Turkey on May 17, 1944, to present the Jewish Agency with a German proposition (the sincerity of which has never been established) to prevent the extermination of Hungarian Jewry in exchange for a supply of trucks and other equipment. He had hoped to meet Moshe Shertok (Sharett) in Turkey, but Shertok was prevented by the British authorities from traveling to Turkey, and Brand, having been persuaded by Jewish Agency officials in Istanbul, continued to Palestine to conclude negotiations there. He was arrested in Aleppo, Syria, by the British, who claimed that they suspected him of being a Nazi agent, and was taken to Cairo, Egypt. On October 7, 1944, he was released in Jerusalem, but in the meantime Hungarian Jews from the provinces had already been deported, mainly to Auschwitz where the majority were killed.

Brand remained in Erez Israel, and after World War 2 devoted himself to tracking down Nazi war criminals. Both Brand and his wife, who was also active in the Va'adat Ezrah va'Hazzakah, testified at the Eichmann trial in Jerusalem.

Brand died in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, where he was testifying against Hermann Krumey and Otto Hunsche, two of Eichmann's chief aides. The story of Brand's mission was dramatized by Heinar Kipphardt in his play "Die Geschichte eines Geschaefts" (1965).
Talmudist

He taught in his native Efurt and also in Worms, Cologne and Frankfurt on Main. He was living in Frankfurt in 1345 but then resettled in Erfurt where he died the death of a martyr. He is the last of the early German halakhic authorities.His best known work is Agudda, which collects his legal decisions and arranges them according to the order of the tractates of the Talmud. Under the pressures of the expulsions and persecutions of his time, it is written very concisely.
מראה פנים בית הכנסת החדש בארפורט, טורנינגן, גרמניה.
בית הכנסת החדש בארפורט, תורינגיה, גרמניה 1987.
סינגוגה ואקלזיה. קתדרלת ארפורט, גרמניה, המאה ה-15
פנים בית הכנסת החדש בארפורט, מדינת תורינגיה, גרמניה.
בית הכנסת הוקם מחדש ב-1952, במקום בו עמד בית הכנסת הישן,
שנהרס ב"ליל הבדולח", נובמבר 1938.
בית הכנסת החדש בארפורט, מדינת תורינגיה, גרמניה 1987.
בית הכנסת החדש בארפורט הוקם ב-1952 על המקום בו עמד בית הכנסת הישן, שנהרס ב"ליל הבדולח", נובמבר 1938.
תחרות אבירים בין אקלזיה לסינגוגה.
אקלזיה על הסוס מפלחת את סינגוגה,
הרכובה על חזירה, עיניה סגורות ולראשה כובע יהודים.
לוח עץ צדדי במושב המקהלה,
קתדרלת ארפורט, תורינגיה, גרמניה, 1410-1400.
ברנד, יואל
הכהן, אלכסנדר זוסלין
Brand, Joel Jeno (1906-1964), member of Va'adat Ezrah va-Hazzalah, the Budapest Jewish relief committee set up during World War II, born in Naszod, Hungary (then part of Austria-Hungary, today Nasaud, in Romania). Brand moved to Erfurt, Germany, with his family in 1910. Active in left-wing politics, he was arrested in 1933, but released in September 1934. He escaped to Transylvania, Romania, and from there went to Budapest, where he joined Po'alei Zion, and at a Zionist training farm met Hansi Hartmann, whom he married in 1935.

From 1938 Brand was active in a semi-clandestine organization for helping Jewish refugees, establishing contact with German Nazi agents who were then secretly working in Hungary. In January 1943 the Va'adat Ezrah va-Hazzalah was formally established in Budapest under the leadership of Otto Komoly, aided by Rezsoe (Rudolf) Kasztner. As a member of this committee, Brand met Adolf Eichmann, on whose orders he left for neutral Turkey on May 17, 1944, to present the Jewish Agency with a German proposition (the sincerity of which has never been established) to prevent the extermination of Hungarian Jewry in exchange for a supply of trucks and other equipment. He had hoped to meet Moshe Shertok (Sharett) in Turkey, but Shertok was prevented by the British authorities from traveling to Turkey, and Brand, having been persuaded by Jewish Agency officials in Istanbul, continued to Palestine to conclude negotiations there. He was arrested in Aleppo, Syria, by the British, who claimed that they suspected him of being a Nazi agent, and was taken to Cairo, Egypt. On October 7, 1944, he was released in Jerusalem, but in the meantime Hungarian Jews from the provinces had already been deported, mainly to Auschwitz where the majority were killed.

Brand remained in Erez Israel, and after World War 2 devoted himself to tracking down Nazi war criminals. Both Brand and his wife, who was also active in the Va'adat Ezrah va'Hazzakah, testified at the Eichmann trial in Jerusalem.

Brand died in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, where he was testifying against Hermann Krumey and Otto Hunsche, two of Eichmann's chief aides. The story of Brand's mission was dramatized by Heinar Kipphardt in his play "Die Geschichte eines Geschaefts" (1965).
Talmudist

He taught in his native Efurt and also in Worms, Cologne and Frankfurt on Main. He was living in Frankfurt in 1345 but then resettled in Erfurt where he died the death of a martyr. He is the last of the early German halakhic authorities.His best known work is Agudda, which collects his legal decisions and arranges them according to the order of the tractates of the Talmud. Under the pressures of the expulsions and persecutions of his time, it is written very concisely.
ישראל בן יואל