חיפוש
הדפסה
שיתוף
הפריט שבחרת:
מקום
רוצה לעזור לנו לשפר את התוכן? אפשר לשלוח הצעות

קהילת יהודי שלויזינגן

Schleusingen

A  city in the district of Hildburghausen, in Thuringia, Germany.

First Jewish presence: 13th century; peak Jewish population: 94 in 1861; Jewish population in 1933: 31-33

Although it is not known when Jews first settled in Schleusingen, records do mention that they were persecuted there in 1298 and in 1349. The modern community, established in 1725, maintained the following communal institutions: a synagogue at 2 Wachstrasse; a cemetery at Judengrund, or “Jews’ ground” (1710-1937); and a school (established in 1725). In 1881, five years after the synagogue was destroyed in a fire, local Jews inaugurated a new house of worship. In 1933, Schleusingen was home to 31-33 Jews; a teacher from nearby Themar instructed three schoolchildren in religion. The cemetery was desecrated soon after the implementation of the anti-Jewish boycotts of 1933. On Pogrom Night (Nov. 9, 1938), SS men vandalized the synagogue, destroyed its furniture and burned holy books and ritual objects to the accompanying cheers of bystanders. Jewish men aged 16 and 60 were arrested, taken to a local gym and, later, deported to Buchenwald concentration camp. Deportations from Schleusingen were completed in 1942. At least 22 local Jews perished in the Shoah. The synagogue was converted into an apartment building in 1950. A plaque (unveiled in 1988) and a stele (erected in 2008) commemorate Schleusingen’s former Jewish community. The synagogue has been declared a historical monument.

---------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

סוג מקום:
עיר
מספר פריט:
16920963
חובר ע"י חוקרים של אנו מוזיאון העם היהודי
מקומות קרובים:

פריטים קשורים:

Themar

A town in the district of Hildburghausen, in Thuringia, Germany.

First Jewish presence: 13th century; peak Jewish population: 97 in 1898; Jewish population in 1932/33: approximately 64

Although it is not known when, exactly, Jews first settled in Themar, records do mention that they were persecuted there in 1298. Between 1865 and 1877, local Jews conducted services in prayer rooms. The modern Jewish community of Themar was established in 1877, the same year in which a synagogue was dedicated at 205 Oberstadt (presentday 17 Ernst Thaelmann Strasse). In 1894, a school and a teacher’s apartment were built on the synagogue’s first floor. Local Jews conducted burials in Marisfeld. In 1933, at least 64 Jews lived in Themar. A shochet served the community, and seven Jewish schoolchildren received religious instruction. A funeral fund, which helped families finance burials, was active in the community that year. Later, on Pogrom Night (Nov. 9, 1938), the synagogue’s interior was vandalized; 18 men were arrested and deported to Buchenwald concentration camp (where one died). The synagogue was eventually sold. By 1939, 21 local Jews had emigrated from Germany. Of those deported in 1942, at least twenty perished in the Shoah. Themar’s last Jew was arrested in 1943. The synagogue building was used as a school after 1945, and as an apartment building after 1950. One Themar Jew survived the Shoah.

---------------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

ברקך

Berkach

עיירה ברובע שמלקלדן-מיינינגן (Schmalkalden-Meiningen) בתורינגיה, גרמניה.

רשומות מהמאה ה-17 מתעדות את נוכחותם המוקדמת ביותר של יהודים בברקך, בסביבות 1626. ממקורות אלה ידוע לנו כי יהודי עבר לברקך במהלך מלחמת שלושים השנים; יהודים נוספים הצטרפו אחרי זמן קצר והתיישבו בעיירה. רוב היהודים חיו תחת הגנת הלורדים פון שטיין ובתחילה התגוררו במחוזות ברקך, בזנטהוף (Zehnthof) ובהינטרדורף (Hinterdorf). למרות זאת, הותר להם להשתמש במתקנים המשותפים של העיירה, כגון בית השימוש והבאר. היהודים התפללו בבתים פרטיים. יהודי ברקך קברו את מתיהם בקליינברדורף (Kleinbardorf). רק בשנת 1820 רכשה הקהילה היהודית נכסים כדי להקים בית קברות משלה מזרחית לברונגר לנדשטראסה (Behrunger Landstrasse). הוא נפתח בשנת 1846. עד המחצית הראשונה של המאה ה-19, מספר היהודים בברקך גדל בהתמדה. בשנת 1740 גרו 12 משפחות יהודיות בברקך ו-32 משפחות ב-1819. בשנת 1833 מנתה האוכלוסייה היהודית 152 יהודים (33% מאוכלוסיית העיירה). בתחילה הם סחרו בבקר ובסחורות (טקסטיל, צמר). בשנות ה-1900 היו ליהודים מספר עסקים בעיירה; ביניהם היו גם בעלי מלאכה.

במהלך המאות ה-18 וה-19 הקימה הקהילה היהודית מספר מוסדות. בשנות 40 של המאה ה-18 שכרו יהודי ברקך בניין שאותו כינו "בית הכנסת" שלהם. בשנת 1762 נבנה בית כנסת, שהיה בשימוש כמעט 100 שנים. בשנים 1850 עד 1854 נבנו בית כנסת חדש ובית ספר ברחוב מוהלפלדר (Muehlfelder). הפתיחה החגיגית התקיימה ב-1 ביוני 1854. בבית הכנסת היה ארון קודש ובו שישה ספרי תורה. בבית הספר היסודי היהודי החדש, שליד בית הכנסת, למדו 45 תלמידים בסביבות 1860. עם זאת, בשל הירידה במספר הילדים היהודים, צריך היה לסגור את בית הספר; הוא נמכר בשנת 1898. לאחר מכן למדו תלמידי בית הספר היהודי בבית הספר המקומי בעיירה.

בתחילה הפעילו יהודי ברקך שלושה מקוואות בבתים פרטיים. כאשר הרשויות דרשו את הקמתו של מקווה חדש, מקווה חדש, שמומן על ידי שמואל איזאק, נפתח בשנת 1838 ברחוב פוסט (Poststrasse) של היום. הקהילה היהודית העסיקה מורה ששימש גם כשוחט וכחזן. ידוע מאוד היה הרמן ארליך (1879-1815), החזן והמורה של הקהילה. הוא התגורר בעיירה והוציא לאור כתב עת למוזיקה יהודית. כיום ניתן למצוא חלק מיצירותיו בספריות מסוימות, אפילו בניו יורק. חזן נוסף, מוערך מאוד, היה לב (Loew) פרידמן (1893-1818). במשך כ-30 שנה הוא שירת את הקהילה כחזן מסייע בימי החגים וכסגן החזן המקומי.

עמותת אמונה (כוח האמונה), שנוסדה בשנת 1842, סייעה לעניים המקומיים והלא-מקומיים. הארגון חגג 50 שנה להיווסדו באוקטובר 1892.

משנות ה-70 של המאה ה-19 ירד מספר התושבים היהודים עקב הגירה.  37 יהודים חיו בברקך ב-1913, ורק 28 ב-1925-1924. כאשר הנאצים עלו לשלטון ב-1933, כ-20 יהודים היו עדיין רשומים בברקך.

ב"ליל הבדולח", בנובמבר 1938, בית הכנסת ובנייני קהילה יהודיים אחרים לא נפגעו או ניזוקו. בית הכנסת ובניין בית הספר ניצלו מהצתה בהתערבות תושבי המקום. בשנה שלאחר מכן היהודים נאלצו למכור את הבניינים לעירייה. לאחר 1945, הבעלות על בית הכנסת לשעבר התחלפה מספר פעמים: בית הכנסת שימש כנפחייה ומאוחר יותר כמחסן. בית הקברות היהודי חולל על ידי הנאצים. תשעה יהודים נעצרו והועברו למחנה הריכוז בוכנוולד; אחד מהם, גוטמן (Goetz) פרידמן, לא שרד את הייסורים. 10 מיהודי ברקך הצליחו להימלט מגרמניה הנאצית ולהגר לפלשתינה, אוסטרליה וארצות הברית. ב-1939, חבר הקהילה לותר גולדשמידט, הצליח להציל אחד משישה ספרי תורה, שנמצאים כיום בבית כנסת בניו ג'רזי, בארה"ב.

בשנת 1942 גורשו היהודים הנותרים לטרזיינשטאדט, ביניהם מוריץ בוקסבאום, אידה בוקסבאום לבית זקס (1894), דינה בוקסבאום (1927), האנס קאופמן (1903), הלנה קאופמן, סלומון שטיין ואלזה שטיין. לפחות 38 מיהודי ברקך נִספו בשואה.

בשנת 1990 רכשה הקהילה של ברקך את בניין בית הכנסת לשעבר ושיפצה אותו היטב בשנים 1990/91. כיום ניתן למצוא את שמות היהודים המגורשים של ברקך, שהוזכרו לעיל, על לוח עץ בפרוזדור בית הכנסת המשופץ. בנוסף, לוח הזיכרון מנציח גם את גורלם של יהודי ברקך הבאים: רוזלי פרידמן, רודולף ורוזה גולדשמידט ובנם הרמן, קלרה גוטמן, חולדה הופמן, גוטמן פרידמן ובתו רזי פרידמן.

-------------------------------------

ערך זה פורסם לראשונה באנגלית באתר "בית אשכנז - בתי כנסת וקהילות שנחרבו בגרמניה" ונתרם למאגר המידע של מוזיאון העם היהודי באדיבות בית אשכנז.

 

Heinrichs

A municipal district of Suhl in Thuringia, Germany. 

At the beginning of the 18th century, a Jewish community was established in Heinrichs, founded by Jews expelled from Suhl. These Jews continued to run their businesses in Suhl or Schleusingen, but lived in Heinrichs. Until 1725 the community still belonged to the religious community Schleusingen. In 1811, 17 Jewish families lived in Heinrichs. The community ran a school, employed a teacher, and set up a synagogue. In 1847 a law granted freedom of movement to Jews living in Prussia. From this point on Jewish life moved back to Suhl. The Jewish cemetery in Heinrichs which was laid out around 1720 still exists today and is under monumental protection. The synagogue building was sold in 1872 and was demolished after the WW II.

-------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

Walldorf

A village and a former municipality in the district of Schmalkalden-Meiningen in Thuringia, Germany.

Jews have been recorded in Walldorf repeatedly since the middle of the 14th century. Protected Jews were accepted in Waldorf in the following centuries. Up until the 18th century Walldorf was divided between three manor owners. The three landlords the Joint Heir Marschalk von Ostheim, the Baron von Bibra and the Baron von Diemar accepted protected Jews and allowed them to found their own community and the necessary institutions. In 1789 with the permission of the landlords, the three Jewish associations merged to form a community, after which joint institutions were created for the first time. A new common synagogue and school were built. A cemetery which has been attested as early as 1737 was shared between the three communities already before 1789. The prime of the Walldorf Jewish community, which was the largest Jewish community in the Duchy of Saxony-Meiningen at that time, was in the first half of the 19th century. The number of community members developed as follows in the 18th century: in 1810 there were 238 Jewish residents, in 1833 there were already 537 (in about 90 families), in 1849 the highest number of 562 Jewish people was reached. In 1895 there were 108 Jewish residents living in Walldorf, in 1900 there were 98 and in 1910 only 75 Jewish community members were registered. In 1845 the synagogue was expanded due to lack of space. The community's Jewish school, bakery and bath house were destroyed by a fire in 1836. In 1840 a new school was opened. From 1839 to 1869 Walldorf was the seat of the state rabbinate of the Duchy of Saxony-Meiningen. From 1851 there were two other Jewish educational institutions in Walldorf, which were privately run. In 1856 however, these were merged again. At the beginning of the 20th century the various denominational schools were merged. In Walldorf, too, the number of members decreased due to emigration, so that in 1933 only 32 residents of Jewish faith lived in the place. Most of them were deported to the extermination camps in 1942 and 1944.

The synagogue building was desecrated during the Night of the Pogrom. The Jewish community was forced to sell the building to the political community of Waldorf. The house "Am Tanzberg" was demolished in 1948 due to the risk of collapse. The building that housed the former Jewish school still exists today and is located at Freie Platz 4. The cemetery has also been preserved and is in fair condition.

-------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

במאגרי המידע הפתוחים
גניאולוגיה יהודית
שמות משפחה
קהילות יהודיות
תיעוד חזותי
מרכז המוזיקה היהודית
מקום
אA
אA
אA
רוצה לעזור לנו לשפר את התוכן? אפשר לשלוח הצעות
קהילת יהודי שלויזינגן

Schleusingen

A  city in the district of Hildburghausen, in Thuringia, Germany.

First Jewish presence: 13th century; peak Jewish population: 94 in 1861; Jewish population in 1933: 31-33

Although it is not known when Jews first settled in Schleusingen, records do mention that they were persecuted there in 1298 and in 1349. The modern community, established in 1725, maintained the following communal institutions: a synagogue at 2 Wachstrasse; a cemetery at Judengrund, or “Jews’ ground” (1710-1937); and a school (established in 1725). In 1881, five years after the synagogue was destroyed in a fire, local Jews inaugurated a new house of worship. In 1933, Schleusingen was home to 31-33 Jews; a teacher from nearby Themar instructed three schoolchildren in religion. The cemetery was desecrated soon after the implementation of the anti-Jewish boycotts of 1933. On Pogrom Night (Nov. 9, 1938), SS men vandalized the synagogue, destroyed its furniture and burned holy books and ritual objects to the accompanying cheers of bystanders. Jewish men aged 16 and 60 were arrested, taken to a local gym and, later, deported to Buchenwald concentration camp. Deportations from Schleusingen were completed in 1942. At least 22 local Jews perished in the Shoah. The synagogue was converted into an apartment building in 1950. A plaque (unveiled in 1988) and a stele (erected in 2008) commemorate Schleusingen’s former Jewish community. The synagogue has been declared a historical monument.

---------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

חובר ע"י חוקרים של אנו מוזיאון העם היהודי
Maiden Von Schleusingen

תמאר

Themar

A town in the district of Hildburghausen, in Thuringia, Germany.

First Jewish presence: 13th century; peak Jewish population: 97 in 1898; Jewish population in 1932/33: approximately 64

Although it is not known when, exactly, Jews first settled in Themar, records do mention that they were persecuted there in 1298. Between 1865 and 1877, local Jews conducted services in prayer rooms. The modern Jewish community of Themar was established in 1877, the same year in which a synagogue was dedicated at 205 Oberstadt (presentday 17 Ernst Thaelmann Strasse). In 1894, a school and a teacher’s apartment were built on the synagogue’s first floor. Local Jews conducted burials in Marisfeld. In 1933, at least 64 Jews lived in Themar. A shochet served the community, and seven Jewish schoolchildren received religious instruction. A funeral fund, which helped families finance burials, was active in the community that year. Later, on Pogrom Night (Nov. 9, 1938), the synagogue’s interior was vandalized; 18 men were arrested and deported to Buchenwald concentration camp (where one died). The synagogue was eventually sold. By 1939, 21 local Jews had emigrated from Germany. Of those deported in 1942, at least twenty perished in the Shoah. Themar’s last Jew was arrested in 1943. The synagogue building was used as a school after 1945, and as an apartment building after 1950. One Themar Jew survived the Shoah.

---------------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

Berkach

ברקך

Berkach

עיירה ברובע שמלקלדן-מיינינגן (Schmalkalden-Meiningen) בתורינגיה, גרמניה.

רשומות מהמאה ה-17 מתעדות את נוכחותם המוקדמת ביותר של יהודים בברקך, בסביבות 1626. ממקורות אלה ידוע לנו כי יהודי עבר לברקך במהלך מלחמת שלושים השנים; יהודים נוספים הצטרפו אחרי זמן קצר והתיישבו בעיירה. רוב היהודים חיו תחת הגנת הלורדים פון שטיין ובתחילה התגוררו במחוזות ברקך, בזנטהוף (Zehnthof) ובהינטרדורף (Hinterdorf). למרות זאת, הותר להם להשתמש במתקנים המשותפים של העיירה, כגון בית השימוש והבאר. היהודים התפללו בבתים פרטיים. יהודי ברקך קברו את מתיהם בקליינברדורף (Kleinbardorf). רק בשנת 1820 רכשה הקהילה היהודית נכסים כדי להקים בית קברות משלה מזרחית לברונגר לנדשטראסה (Behrunger Landstrasse). הוא נפתח בשנת 1846. עד המחצית הראשונה של המאה ה-19, מספר היהודים בברקך גדל בהתמדה. בשנת 1740 גרו 12 משפחות יהודיות בברקך ו-32 משפחות ב-1819. בשנת 1833 מנתה האוכלוסייה היהודית 152 יהודים (33% מאוכלוסיית העיירה). בתחילה הם סחרו בבקר ובסחורות (טקסטיל, צמר). בשנות ה-1900 היו ליהודים מספר עסקים בעיירה; ביניהם היו גם בעלי מלאכה.

במהלך המאות ה-18 וה-19 הקימה הקהילה היהודית מספר מוסדות. בשנות 40 של המאה ה-18 שכרו יהודי ברקך בניין שאותו כינו "בית הכנסת" שלהם. בשנת 1762 נבנה בית כנסת, שהיה בשימוש כמעט 100 שנים. בשנים 1850 עד 1854 נבנו בית כנסת חדש ובית ספר ברחוב מוהלפלדר (Muehlfelder). הפתיחה החגיגית התקיימה ב-1 ביוני 1854. בבית הכנסת היה ארון קודש ובו שישה ספרי תורה. בבית הספר היסודי היהודי החדש, שליד בית הכנסת, למדו 45 תלמידים בסביבות 1860. עם זאת, בשל הירידה במספר הילדים היהודים, צריך היה לסגור את בית הספר; הוא נמכר בשנת 1898. לאחר מכן למדו תלמידי בית הספר היהודי בבית הספר המקומי בעיירה.

בתחילה הפעילו יהודי ברקך שלושה מקוואות בבתים פרטיים. כאשר הרשויות דרשו את הקמתו של מקווה חדש, מקווה חדש, שמומן על ידי שמואל איזאק, נפתח בשנת 1838 ברחוב פוסט (Poststrasse) של היום. הקהילה היהודית העסיקה מורה ששימש גם כשוחט וכחזן. ידוע מאוד היה הרמן ארליך (1879-1815), החזן והמורה של הקהילה. הוא התגורר בעיירה והוציא לאור כתב עת למוזיקה יהודית. כיום ניתן למצוא חלק מיצירותיו בספריות מסוימות, אפילו בניו יורק. חזן נוסף, מוערך מאוד, היה לב (Loew) פרידמן (1893-1818). במשך כ-30 שנה הוא שירת את הקהילה כחזן מסייע בימי החגים וכסגן החזן המקומי.

עמותת אמונה (כוח האמונה), שנוסדה בשנת 1842, סייעה לעניים המקומיים והלא-מקומיים. הארגון חגג 50 שנה להיווסדו באוקטובר 1892.

משנות ה-70 של המאה ה-19 ירד מספר התושבים היהודים עקב הגירה.  37 יהודים חיו בברקך ב-1913, ורק 28 ב-1925-1924. כאשר הנאצים עלו לשלטון ב-1933, כ-20 יהודים היו עדיין רשומים בברקך.

ב"ליל הבדולח", בנובמבר 1938, בית הכנסת ובנייני קהילה יהודיים אחרים לא נפגעו או ניזוקו. בית הכנסת ובניין בית הספר ניצלו מהצתה בהתערבות תושבי המקום. בשנה שלאחר מכן היהודים נאלצו למכור את הבניינים לעירייה. לאחר 1945, הבעלות על בית הכנסת לשעבר התחלפה מספר פעמים: בית הכנסת שימש כנפחייה ומאוחר יותר כמחסן. בית הקברות היהודי חולל על ידי הנאצים. תשעה יהודים נעצרו והועברו למחנה הריכוז בוכנוולד; אחד מהם, גוטמן (Goetz) פרידמן, לא שרד את הייסורים. 10 מיהודי ברקך הצליחו להימלט מגרמניה הנאצית ולהגר לפלשתינה, אוסטרליה וארצות הברית. ב-1939, חבר הקהילה לותר גולדשמידט, הצליח להציל אחד משישה ספרי תורה, שנמצאים כיום בבית כנסת בניו ג'רזי, בארה"ב.

בשנת 1942 גורשו היהודים הנותרים לטרזיינשטאדט, ביניהם מוריץ בוקסבאום, אידה בוקסבאום לבית זקס (1894), דינה בוקסבאום (1927), האנס קאופמן (1903), הלנה קאופמן, סלומון שטיין ואלזה שטיין. לפחות 38 מיהודי ברקך נִספו בשואה.

בשנת 1990 רכשה הקהילה של ברקך את בניין בית הכנסת לשעבר ושיפצה אותו היטב בשנים 1990/91. כיום ניתן למצוא את שמות היהודים המגורשים של ברקך, שהוזכרו לעיל, על לוח עץ בפרוזדור בית הכנסת המשופץ. בנוסף, לוח הזיכרון מנציח גם את גורלם של יהודי ברקך הבאים: רוזלי פרידמן, רודולף ורוזה גולדשמידט ובנם הרמן, קלרה גוטמן, חולדה הופמן, גוטמן פרידמן ובתו רזי פרידמן.

-------------------------------------

ערך זה פורסם לראשונה באנגלית באתר "בית אשכנז - בתי כנסת וקהילות שנחרבו בגרמניה" ונתרם למאגר המידע של מוזיאון העם היהודי באדיבות בית אשכנז.

 

היינריכס

Heinrichs

A municipal district of Suhl in Thuringia, Germany. 

At the beginning of the 18th century, a Jewish community was established in Heinrichs, founded by Jews expelled from Suhl. These Jews continued to run their businesses in Suhl or Schleusingen, but lived in Heinrichs. Until 1725 the community still belonged to the religious community Schleusingen. In 1811, 17 Jewish families lived in Heinrichs. The community ran a school, employed a teacher, and set up a synagogue. In 1847 a law granted freedom of movement to Jews living in Prussia. From this point on Jewish life moved back to Suhl. The Jewish cemetery in Heinrichs which was laid out around 1720 still exists today and is under monumental protection. The synagogue building was sold in 1872 and was demolished after the WW II.

-------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

ואלדורף, תורינגיה

Walldorf

A village and a former municipality in the district of Schmalkalden-Meiningen in Thuringia, Germany.

Jews have been recorded in Walldorf repeatedly since the middle of the 14th century. Protected Jews were accepted in Waldorf in the following centuries. Up until the 18th century Walldorf was divided between three manor owners. The three landlords the Joint Heir Marschalk von Ostheim, the Baron von Bibra and the Baron von Diemar accepted protected Jews and allowed them to found their own community and the necessary institutions. In 1789 with the permission of the landlords, the three Jewish associations merged to form a community, after which joint institutions were created for the first time. A new common synagogue and school were built. A cemetery which has been attested as early as 1737 was shared between the three communities already before 1789. The prime of the Walldorf Jewish community, which was the largest Jewish community in the Duchy of Saxony-Meiningen at that time, was in the first half of the 19th century. The number of community members developed as follows in the 18th century: in 1810 there were 238 Jewish residents, in 1833 there were already 537 (in about 90 families), in 1849 the highest number of 562 Jewish people was reached. In 1895 there were 108 Jewish residents living in Walldorf, in 1900 there were 98 and in 1910 only 75 Jewish community members were registered. In 1845 the synagogue was expanded due to lack of space. The community's Jewish school, bakery and bath house were destroyed by a fire in 1836. In 1840 a new school was opened. From 1839 to 1869 Walldorf was the seat of the state rabbinate of the Duchy of Saxony-Meiningen. From 1851 there were two other Jewish educational institutions in Walldorf, which were privately run. In 1856 however, these were merged again. At the beginning of the 20th century the various denominational schools were merged. In Walldorf, too, the number of members decreased due to emigration, so that in 1933 only 32 residents of Jewish faith lived in the place. Most of them were deported to the extermination camps in 1942 and 1944.

The synagogue building was desecrated during the Night of the Pogrom. The Jewish community was forced to sell the building to the political community of Waldorf. The house "Am Tanzberg" was demolished in 1948 due to the risk of collapse. The building that housed the former Jewish school still exists today and is located at Freie Platz 4. The cemetery has also been preserved and is in fair condition.

-------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.