חיפוש
הדפסה
שיתוף
הפריט שבחרת:
מקום
רוצה לעזור לנו לשפר את התוכן? אפשר לשלוח הצעות

קהילת יהודי אילמנאו

Ilmenau

A town in the Ilm district in Thuringia, Germany.

First Jewish presence: in or around the year 1300; peak Jewish population: 82 in 1910; Jewish population in 1933: 51

Ilmenau’s first synagogue was built in 1428. In 1492, after Jews were banished from Ilmenau, the synagogue was handed over to the local church. Jews returned to the town during the 17th century, but it was not until the early 1800s that a Jewish community was established there. Ilmenau was never home to a large Jewish population, therefore a proper synagogue was never built in the town; a prayer room, situated in the back of a building, served as a synagogue. Jews and Christians coexisted peacefully in Ilmenau. The anti-Semitic legislation and boycotts of 1933 were completely ignored, and it was not, in fact, until 1935 that residents began to obey the increasingly restrictive anti-Jewish laws. On Pogrom Night (Nov. 9, 1938), rioters smashed windows in Jewish owned businesses, plundered the prayer room and burned ritual objects. Ilmenau’s remaining Jews were deported, marking the end of Jewish life in this small town.

__________________________________________________

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

סוג מקום:
עיירה
מספר פריט:
16920961
חובר ע"י חוקרים של אנו מוזיאון העם היהודי
מקומות קרובים:

פריטים קשורים:

Rudolstadt

A town and seat of the  of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt district in Thuringia, Germany.

In the Middle Ages there were occasional short time settlements of Jews in Rudolstadt. There was a more permanent Jewish settlement between 1784 and 1874. During these 90 years the community operated a prayer room in the private rooms of the merchant Schwabe and a cemetery that was destroyed during the Nazi era. Until 1816 there was also a mikveh in Ludwigsburg in Rudolstadt. In the first half of the 20th century there were still a few Jewish families living in Rudolstadt who attended religious services in Saalfeld on high holidays. Today only the buildings in which the prayer rooms were, are kept as residential houses. Any traces or references to Jewish life no longer exist in Rudolstadt.

--------------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

Aschenhausen

A village and a former municipality in the district Schmalkalden-Meiningen, in Thuringia, Germany.

Jews have lived in Aschenhausen since the end of the 17th century. They were allowed to settle in Aschenhausen as protected Jews from 1695. A cemetery was laid out in 1707, a prayer room was established in 1738 and a school was opened in 1752. In 1765 the community purchased a plot of land to build a synagogue, bakery and school. In 1841 these buildings were destroyed by fire. Thanks to a donation, the new synagogue was inaugurated in 1843, followed by the new school and teacher's apartment in 1846. In 1848, fifty Jewish families lived in Aschenhausen, making up half of the total population. There was a kosher butcher shop and a mikveh in town. In 1876 the Christian and Jewish schools were merged. At the end of the 19th century, more and more Jewish community members emigrated to larger towns, so that the Aschenhausen community got smaller and smaller. As a result, the synagogue could no longer be kept and was sold in 1936. The Torah scrolls and cult objects were probably buried in the Jewish cemetery by the community leaders. Due to the sale of the synagogue, the building at Oberkätzer Straße 16 survived the Nazi regime relatively unscathed and is now very well preserved and serves as a meeting place. With the last deportation of the Jews who remained in Aschenhausen in 1942, the Jewish community of Aschenhausen was exterminated.

-------------------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

Eisfeld

A town and a municipality in the district of Hildburghausen, in Thuringia, Germany

A few Jews settled in Eisfeld as early as the Middle Ages. In 1441 they were exiled from Wettin and had to leave Eisfeld. The Jewish community was probably not reestablished until the end of the 19th century. In 1910, twelve Eisfeld residents acknowledged to be Jewish. In 1924/25 there were six, in 1932 the number rose to ten. The services were probably held in the private rooms of Hermann Gerson's house. The former residential and commercial building of the Gerson family still exists today and is privately owned. At the end of the 1930s, only a handful of Jews lived in Eisfeld, almost all of whom were married to non-Jews. Some were deported to death camps in 1944.

-------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

Heinrichs

A municipal district of Suhl in Thuringia, Germany. 

At the beginning of the 18th century, a Jewish community was established in Heinrichs, founded by Jews expelled from Suhl. These Jews continued to run their businesses in Suhl or Schleusingen, but lived in Heinrichs. Until 1725 the community still belonged to the religious community Schleusingen. In 1811, 17 Jewish families lived in Heinrichs. The community ran a school, employed a teacher, and set up a synagogue. In 1847 a law granted freedom of movement to Jews living in Prussia. From this point on Jewish life moved back to Suhl. The Jewish cemetery in Heinrichs which was laid out around 1720 still exists today and is under monumental protection. The synagogue building was sold in 1872 and was demolished after the WW II.

-------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

Marisfeld

A village in the district of Hildburghausen, in Thuringia, German

Duke Friedrich I of Saxe-Gotha granted the Marisfeld Lord of the Castle Johann Friedrich Marschalk von Ostheim permission to issue a letter of protection for a Jew in 1679. From this moment on Jews can settle in Marisfeld. In 1822, 121 people of Jewish faith lived here, in 1865 there were already 200. After the great fire in the village in 1866, many Jews left Marisfeld and went to cities like Meinigen or Themar. In 1942 the last three Jewish citizens remaining in Marisfeld were deported to the concentration camps.

At the end of the 17th century a three-story building near the church, the so-called "Judenbau", served as living space for the Marisfeld Jews. The synagogue was also housed here. In 1867 the building was demolished. From 1832 there was a new synagogue in Marisfeld because the prayer room in the “Judenbau” had become too small. This synagogue was used until the 1930s, but was sold to private individuals before the Nazis came to power in 1933 and was able to survive the war unharmed. Traces of the original religious use are no longer recognizable today, the location of the house is Themarer Straße. Also in 1832 a new school building was built near the new synagogue. In 1875, due to the elementary school law for the unification of the Jewish and Christian schools, the Jewish schoolhouse was sold and later used as a restaurant and residential building. The building is also on Themarer Straße. The mikveh, which was built in the course of the construction of the synagogue and school in the garden of the synagogue, was also located here. There was probably a cemetery since the end of the 17th century, in 1848 the Jewish community of Marisfeld received a piece of land from Baron von Stockmar, which was used as a burial place. The Themar Jewish community buried their dead here. The cemetery is located on the Guhligsberg east of the place and was desecrated during the Nazi era. Today the burial place is in good condition.

-------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

Plaue

A town in the Ilm-Kreis district in Thuringia, Germany.

First evidence of Jewish presence in Plaue was in the Middle Ages. Jews from Plaue are named who had to pay the imperial tax with the other Jews from the county of Schwarzburg. In the following centuries there was no evidence of the presence of Jews in Plaue.

Only in the 19th century is there evidence of Jewish life in Plaue again. After 1820 eight Jewish families from Franconia settled in Plaue as "protective relatives". From 1840 the small community used a prayer room in Eduard Bamberg's house, as well as a mikveh in the garden of the property "Am Mühlendamm". There was also a cemetery in Plaue that was laid out around 1826 which is still preserved today and is a listed building. The deceased community members from Arnstadt were also buried here since 1860.

Several Jewish residents of Plauen emigrated to America by 1866, and increased emigration to Arnstadt began. Due to this emigration the Jewish community was dissolved again in the 19th century.

-------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

Saalfeld

A town and capital of the Saalfeld-Rudolstadt district in Thuringia, Germany.

Jews are already recorded in Saalfeld at the beginning of the 14th century. They formed a small community with a synagogue. At the time of the plague epidemic the Saalfeld Jews were also expelled, three of them re-established the Erfurt community in the years after the expulsion (1357). Only at the beginning of the following century were Jews living in Saalfeld again, they lived from trading in money and jewelry. The medieval Jewish community was probably also affected by the expulsions of Jews in the Wettin territory but there is no conclusive evidence of this.

Until the 19th century there was no evidence of Jewish life in Saalfeld. At the end of the 19th century, 31 Jewish people lived in Saalfeld, this number changes only insignificantly in the following years. There is a loose community without the status of a religious community. There was a prayer room in a private household, the burial of the dead took place in Erfurt. In 1933 there were 33 Jews living in Saalfeld, some of whom were able to emigrate; other Jews who remained in Saalfeld were murdered.

-------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

במאגרי המידע הפתוחים
גניאולוגיה יהודית
שמות משפחה
קהילות יהודיות
תיעוד חזותי
מרכז המוזיקה היהודית
מקום
אA
אA
אA
רוצה לעזור לנו לשפר את התוכן? אפשר לשלוח הצעות
קהילת יהודי אילמנאו

Ilmenau

A town in the Ilm district in Thuringia, Germany.

First Jewish presence: in or around the year 1300; peak Jewish population: 82 in 1910; Jewish population in 1933: 51

Ilmenau’s first synagogue was built in 1428. In 1492, after Jews were banished from Ilmenau, the synagogue was handed over to the local church. Jews returned to the town during the 17th century, but it was not until the early 1800s that a Jewish community was established there. Ilmenau was never home to a large Jewish population, therefore a proper synagogue was never built in the town; a prayer room, situated in the back of a building, served as a synagogue. Jews and Christians coexisted peacefully in Ilmenau. The anti-Semitic legislation and boycotts of 1933 were completely ignored, and it was not, in fact, until 1935 that residents began to obey the increasingly restrictive anti-Jewish laws. On Pogrom Night (Nov. 9, 1938), rioters smashed windows in Jewish owned businesses, plundered the prayer room and burned ritual objects. Ilmenau’s remaining Jews were deported, marking the end of Jewish life in this small town.

__________________________________________________

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

חובר ע"י חוקרים של אנו מוזיאון העם היהודי

זאלפלד
פלאוה
מריספלד
היינריכס
אייספלד
אשנהאוזן
רודלשטדט

Saalfeld

A town and capital of the Saalfeld-Rudolstadt district in Thuringia, Germany.

Jews are already recorded in Saalfeld at the beginning of the 14th century. They formed a small community with a synagogue. At the time of the plague epidemic the Saalfeld Jews were also expelled, three of them re-established the Erfurt community in the years after the expulsion (1357). Only at the beginning of the following century were Jews living in Saalfeld again, they lived from trading in money and jewelry. The medieval Jewish community was probably also affected by the expulsions of Jews in the Wettin territory but there is no conclusive evidence of this.

Until the 19th century there was no evidence of Jewish life in Saalfeld. At the end of the 19th century, 31 Jewish people lived in Saalfeld, this number changes only insignificantly in the following years. There is a loose community without the status of a religious community. There was a prayer room in a private household, the burial of the dead took place in Erfurt. In 1933 there were 33 Jews living in Saalfeld, some of whom were able to emigrate; other Jews who remained in Saalfeld were murdered.

-------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

Plaue

A town in the Ilm-Kreis district in Thuringia, Germany.

First evidence of Jewish presence in Plaue was in the Middle Ages. Jews from Plaue are named who had to pay the imperial tax with the other Jews from the county of Schwarzburg. In the following centuries there was no evidence of the presence of Jews in Plaue.

Only in the 19th century is there evidence of Jewish life in Plaue again. After 1820 eight Jewish families from Franconia settled in Plaue as "protective relatives". From 1840 the small community used a prayer room in Eduard Bamberg's house, as well as a mikveh in the garden of the property "Am Mühlendamm". There was also a cemetery in Plaue that was laid out around 1826 which is still preserved today and is a listed building. The deceased community members from Arnstadt were also buried here since 1860.

Several Jewish residents of Plauen emigrated to America by 1866, and increased emigration to Arnstadt began. Due to this emigration the Jewish community was dissolved again in the 19th century.

-------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

Marisfeld

A village in the district of Hildburghausen, in Thuringia, German

Duke Friedrich I of Saxe-Gotha granted the Marisfeld Lord of the Castle Johann Friedrich Marschalk von Ostheim permission to issue a letter of protection for a Jew in 1679. From this moment on Jews can settle in Marisfeld. In 1822, 121 people of Jewish faith lived here, in 1865 there were already 200. After the great fire in the village in 1866, many Jews left Marisfeld and went to cities like Meinigen or Themar. In 1942 the last three Jewish citizens remaining in Marisfeld were deported to the concentration camps.

At the end of the 17th century a three-story building near the church, the so-called "Judenbau", served as living space for the Marisfeld Jews. The synagogue was also housed here. In 1867 the building was demolished. From 1832 there was a new synagogue in Marisfeld because the prayer room in the “Judenbau” had become too small. This synagogue was used until the 1930s, but was sold to private individuals before the Nazis came to power in 1933 and was able to survive the war unharmed. Traces of the original religious use are no longer recognizable today, the location of the house is Themarer Straße. Also in 1832 a new school building was built near the new synagogue. In 1875, due to the elementary school law for the unification of the Jewish and Christian schools, the Jewish schoolhouse was sold and later used as a restaurant and residential building. The building is also on Themarer Straße. The mikveh, which was built in the course of the construction of the synagogue and school in the garden of the synagogue, was also located here. There was probably a cemetery since the end of the 17th century, in 1848 the Jewish community of Marisfeld received a piece of land from Baron von Stockmar, which was used as a burial place. The Themar Jewish community buried their dead here. The cemetery is located on the Guhligsberg east of the place and was desecrated during the Nazi era. Today the burial place is in good condition.

-------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

Heinrichs

A municipal district of Suhl in Thuringia, Germany. 

At the beginning of the 18th century, a Jewish community was established in Heinrichs, founded by Jews expelled from Suhl. These Jews continued to run their businesses in Suhl or Schleusingen, but lived in Heinrichs. Until 1725 the community still belonged to the religious community Schleusingen. In 1811, 17 Jewish families lived in Heinrichs. The community ran a school, employed a teacher, and set up a synagogue. In 1847 a law granted freedom of movement to Jews living in Prussia. From this point on Jewish life moved back to Suhl. The Jewish cemetery in Heinrichs which was laid out around 1720 still exists today and is under monumental protection. The synagogue building was sold in 1872 and was demolished after the WW II.

-------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

Eisfeld

A town and a municipality in the district of Hildburghausen, in Thuringia, Germany

A few Jews settled in Eisfeld as early as the Middle Ages. In 1441 they were exiled from Wettin and had to leave Eisfeld. The Jewish community was probably not reestablished until the end of the 19th century. In 1910, twelve Eisfeld residents acknowledged to be Jewish. In 1924/25 there were six, in 1932 the number rose to ten. The services were probably held in the private rooms of Hermann Gerson's house. The former residential and commercial building of the Gerson family still exists today and is privately owned. At the end of the 1930s, only a handful of Jews lived in Eisfeld, almost all of whom were married to non-Jews. Some were deported to death camps in 1944.

-------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

Aschenhausen

A village and a former municipality in the district Schmalkalden-Meiningen, in Thuringia, Germany.

Jews have lived in Aschenhausen since the end of the 17th century. They were allowed to settle in Aschenhausen as protected Jews from 1695. A cemetery was laid out in 1707, a prayer room was established in 1738 and a school was opened in 1752. In 1765 the community purchased a plot of land to build a synagogue, bakery and school. In 1841 these buildings were destroyed by fire. Thanks to a donation, the new synagogue was inaugurated in 1843, followed by the new school and teacher's apartment in 1846. In 1848, fifty Jewish families lived in Aschenhausen, making up half of the total population. There was a kosher butcher shop and a mikveh in town. In 1876 the Christian and Jewish schools were merged. At the end of the 19th century, more and more Jewish community members emigrated to larger towns, so that the Aschenhausen community got smaller and smaller. As a result, the synagogue could no longer be kept and was sold in 1936. The Torah scrolls and cult objects were probably buried in the Jewish cemetery by the community leaders. Due to the sale of the synagogue, the building at Oberkätzer Straße 16 survived the Nazi regime relatively unscathed and is now very well preserved and serves as a meeting place. With the last deportation of the Jews who remained in Aschenhausen in 1942, the Jewish community of Aschenhausen was exterminated.

-------------------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

Rudolstadt

A town and seat of the  of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt district in Thuringia, Germany.

In the Middle Ages there were occasional short time settlements of Jews in Rudolstadt. There was a more permanent Jewish settlement between 1784 and 1874. During these 90 years the community operated a prayer room in the private rooms of the merchant Schwabe and a cemetery that was destroyed during the Nazi era. Until 1816 there was also a mikveh in Ludwigsburg in Rudolstadt. In the first half of the 20th century there were still a few Jewish families living in Rudolstadt who attended religious services in Saalfeld on high holidays. Today only the buildings in which the prayer rooms were, are kept as residential houses. Any traces or references to Jewish life no longer exist in Rudolstadt.

--------------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.