חיפוש
הדפסה
שיתוף
הפריט שבחרת:
מקום
רוצה לעזור לנו לשפר את התוכן? אפשר לשלוח הצעות

קהילת יהודי הילבורגסהאוזן

Hildburghausen

A town and capital of the Hildburghausen district in Thuringia, Germany.

First Jewish presence: 1331; peak Jewish population: 130 in 1844; Jewish population in 1933: 30

Records from 1331 mention the presence of Jews in Hildburghausen, but beyond the fact that Jews were expelled from the town in the 1400s, not much is known about the town’s early Jewish community. Jews returned to Hildburghausen in the early 1700s. The construction costs of the community’s first synagogue, inaugurated in 1811, were covered by Levi Simon, a prominent local Jew. In the mid-1820s, Simon financed a new and larger synagogue. In response to increasing anti-Semitism, the Jewish population began to dwindle in 1930. In 1933, Nazis forced the Jews to hand over the synagogue to a local branch of a large bank, after which prayer services were conducted in a small building located in the courtyard of a Jewish-owned metalwork factory; and it was this small synagogue that the Nazis vandalized on Pogrom Night (Nov. 9, 1938). The synagogue building is now a warehouse. As of this writing, a memorial plaque has never been erected in Hildburghausen.

-----------------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

סוג מקום:
עיירה
מספר פריט:
16920960
חובר ע"י חוקרים של אנו מוזיאון העם היהודי
מקומות קרובים:

פריטים קשורים:

Weitersroda

A village in the Hildburghausen district in Thuringia, Germany. 

Whether there was a Jewish community in Weitersroda can no longer be traced today. The only meaningful document that testifies about Jewish activities dates from 1680. In this document, the Hildburghausen Jews received a princely permission to establish their own burial place, as this was denied to them in Hildburghausen. The Jewish community of Simmershausen also used the cemetery until 1885. In 1720 the property became the property of the Jewish community in Hildburghausen. The cemetery was expanded in 1720 and again in 1806 and is now very well preserved. The mikve, built around 1900, has also been preserved, but it is in need of restoration.

------------------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

Roemhild 

Römhild

A town in the district of Hildburghausen in Thuringia, Germany.

A Jewish community was only established in Römhild in the 19th century. In the preceding centuries, small groups of Jews repeatedly lived in Römhild, but there was no continuous Jewish settlement in Römhild. The Jews of Römhild belonged to the Jewish community of Bibra. Never more than 30 Jews lived in Römhild. The community used a prayer room in the private house of the merchant Adolf Kahn, his house served the Nazis during the war as a so-called "Jewish house". All of Römhild's Jewish residents had to live here crowded together until they were deported to the Nazi concentration and death camps in 1942. The building, located at Heurichstrasse 8, has been preserved as a residential building today.

----------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

Marisfeld

A village in the district of Hildburghausen, in Thuringia, German

Duke Friedrich I of Saxe-Gotha granted the Marisfeld Lord of the Castle Johann Friedrich Marschalk von Ostheim permission to issue a letter of protection for a Jew in 1679. From this moment on Jews can settle in Marisfeld. In 1822, 121 people of Jewish faith lived here, in 1865 there were already 200. After the great fire in the village in 1866, many Jews left Marisfeld and went to cities like Meinigen or Themar. In 1942 the last three Jewish citizens remaining in Marisfeld were deported to the concentration camps.

At the end of the 17th century a three-story building near the church, the so-called "Judenbau", served as living space for the Marisfeld Jews. The synagogue was also housed here. In 1867 the building was demolished. From 1832 there was a new synagogue in Marisfeld because the prayer room in the “Judenbau” had become too small. This synagogue was used until the 1930s, but was sold to private individuals before the Nazis came to power in 1933 and was able to survive the war unharmed. Traces of the original religious use are no longer recognizable today, the location of the house is Themarer Straße. Also in 1832 a new school building was built near the new synagogue. In 1875, due to the elementary school law for the unification of the Jewish and Christian schools, the Jewish schoolhouse was sold and later used as a restaurant and residential building. The building is also on Themarer Straße. The mikveh, which was built in the course of the construction of the synagogue and school in the garden of the synagogue, was also located here. There was probably a cemetery since the end of the 17th century, in 1848 the Jewish community of Marisfeld received a piece of land from Baron von Stockmar, which was used as a burial place. The Themar Jewish community buried their dead here. The cemetery is located on the Guhligsberg east of the place and was desecrated during the Nazi era. Today the burial place is in good condition.

-------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

במאגרי המידע הפתוחים
גניאולוגיה יהודית
שמות משפחה
קהילות יהודיות
תיעוד חזותי
מרכז המוזיקה היהודית
מקום
אA
אA
אA
רוצה לעזור לנו לשפר את התוכן? אפשר לשלוח הצעות
קהילת יהודי הילבורגסהאוזן

Hildburghausen

A town and capital of the Hildburghausen district in Thuringia, Germany.

First Jewish presence: 1331; peak Jewish population: 130 in 1844; Jewish population in 1933: 30

Records from 1331 mention the presence of Jews in Hildburghausen, but beyond the fact that Jews were expelled from the town in the 1400s, not much is known about the town’s early Jewish community. Jews returned to Hildburghausen in the early 1700s. The construction costs of the community’s first synagogue, inaugurated in 1811, were covered by Levi Simon, a prominent local Jew. In the mid-1820s, Simon financed a new and larger synagogue. In response to increasing anti-Semitism, the Jewish population began to dwindle in 1930. In 1933, Nazis forced the Jews to hand over the synagogue to a local branch of a large bank, after which prayer services were conducted in a small building located in the courtyard of a Jewish-owned metalwork factory; and it was this small synagogue that the Nazis vandalized on Pogrom Night (Nov. 9, 1938). The synagogue building is now a warehouse. As of this writing, a memorial plaque has never been erected in Hildburghausen.

-----------------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

חובר ע"י חוקרים של אנו מוזיאון העם היהודי

מריספלד
רומהילד
וייטרסרודה

Marisfeld

A village in the district of Hildburghausen, in Thuringia, German

Duke Friedrich I of Saxe-Gotha granted the Marisfeld Lord of the Castle Johann Friedrich Marschalk von Ostheim permission to issue a letter of protection for a Jew in 1679. From this moment on Jews can settle in Marisfeld. In 1822, 121 people of Jewish faith lived here, in 1865 there were already 200. After the great fire in the village in 1866, many Jews left Marisfeld and went to cities like Meinigen or Themar. In 1942 the last three Jewish citizens remaining in Marisfeld were deported to the concentration camps.

At the end of the 17th century a three-story building near the church, the so-called "Judenbau", served as living space for the Marisfeld Jews. The synagogue was also housed here. In 1867 the building was demolished. From 1832 there was a new synagogue in Marisfeld because the prayer room in the “Judenbau” had become too small. This synagogue was used until the 1930s, but was sold to private individuals before the Nazis came to power in 1933 and was able to survive the war unharmed. Traces of the original religious use are no longer recognizable today, the location of the house is Themarer Straße. Also in 1832 a new school building was built near the new synagogue. In 1875, due to the elementary school law for the unification of the Jewish and Christian schools, the Jewish schoolhouse was sold and later used as a restaurant and residential building. The building is also on Themarer Straße. The mikveh, which was built in the course of the construction of the synagogue and school in the garden of the synagogue, was also located here. There was probably a cemetery since the end of the 17th century, in 1848 the Jewish community of Marisfeld received a piece of land from Baron von Stockmar, which was used as a burial place. The Themar Jewish community buried their dead here. The cemetery is located on the Guhligsberg east of the place and was desecrated during the Nazi era. Today the burial place is in good condition.

-------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

Roemhild 

Römhild

A town in the district of Hildburghausen in Thuringia, Germany.

A Jewish community was only established in Römhild in the 19th century. In the preceding centuries, small groups of Jews repeatedly lived in Römhild, but there was no continuous Jewish settlement in Römhild. The Jews of Römhild belonged to the Jewish community of Bibra. Never more than 30 Jews lived in Römhild. The community used a prayer room in the private house of the merchant Adolf Kahn, his house served the Nazis during the war as a so-called "Jewish house". All of Römhild's Jewish residents had to live here crowded together until they were deported to the Nazi concentration and death camps in 1942. The building, located at Heurichstrasse 8, has been preserved as a residential building today.

----------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

Weitersroda

A village in the Hildburghausen district in Thuringia, Germany. 

Whether there was a Jewish community in Weitersroda can no longer be traced today. The only meaningful document that testifies about Jewish activities dates from 1680. In this document, the Hildburghausen Jews received a princely permission to establish their own burial place, as this was denied to them in Hildburghausen. The Jewish community of Simmershausen also used the cemetery until 1885. In 1720 the property became the property of the Jewish community in Hildburghausen. The cemetery was expanded in 1720 and again in 1806 and is now very well preserved. The mikve, built around 1900, has also been preserved, but it is in need of restoration.

------------------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.