חיפוש
הדפסה
שיתוף
הפריט שבחרת:
מקום
רוצה לעזור לנו לשפר את התוכן? אפשר לשלוח הצעות

קהילת יהודי ביברה

Bibra

A former municipality in the district Schmalkalden-Meiningen, in Thuringia, Germany. From December 1, 2007 it is part of Grabfeld.

First Jewish presence: 1658; peak Jewish population: 195 in 1900; Jewish population in 1933: 50

During the 18th century, the emerging Jewish community of Bibra (made up chiefly of small merchants, shopkeepers and craftsmen) was restricted to a building known as the Judenbau, which also housed a prayer hall and a schoolroom. Although the restrictions were severe — Jews, for example, were prohibited from sharing drinking water with Gentiles — the community grew until it constituted 25% of the general population. The synagogue, which housed a mikveh and schoolrooms, was built in 1845; an elementary school, established in 1835, functioned for the next 40 years. Aaron Hoexter, who served as teacher, chazzan, shochet and head of the veteran’s association, was awarded the Iron Cross 1st Class in World War I; he was deported and killed in 1942. The anti-Jewish boycott of 1933 forced many local Jews to consider emigration, for which they were prepared by a Zionist Hachshara agricultural training farm. The synagogue was eventually confiscated by the municipality and converted into a residential property. Thirty-one Jews were deported in 1942; the fate of another 32 is unknown. After the war, one of the town squares was named Oskar Meyer Platz in honor of a former prominent Jewish citizen.

-----------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

סוג מקום:
כפר
מספר פריט:
16920954
חובר ע"י חוקרים של אנו מוזיאון העם היהודי
מקומות קרובים:

פריטים קשורים:

Roemhild 

Römhild

A town in the district of Hildburghausen in Thuringia, Germany.

A Jewish community was only established in Römhild in the 19th century. In the preceding centuries, small groups of Jews repeatedly lived in Römhild, but there was no continuous Jewish settlement in Römhild. The Jews of Römhild belonged to the Jewish community of Bibra. Never more than 30 Jews lived in Römhild. The community used a prayer room in the private house of the merchant Adolf Kahn, his house served the Nazis during the war as a so-called "Jewish house". All of Römhild's Jewish residents had to live here crowded together until they were deported to the Nazi concentration and death camps in 1942. The building, located at Heurichstrasse 8, has been preserved as a residential building today.

----------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.