חיפוש
הדפסה
שיתוף
הפריט שבחרת:
1 \ 2
נמחקו
נוספו
מקום
רוצה לעזור לנו לשפר את התוכן? אפשר לשלוח הצעות

קהילת יהודי שוורין

שוורין

Schwerin

עיר ובירת מקלנבורג-מערב פומרניה, גרמניה.

קיים רישום ראשון של קהילה יהודית בשוורין החל מ-1266; שיא האוכלוסייה היהודית: 391 אנשים בשנת 1875; בשנת 1933: 151 יהודים.

ליהודים מועטים הותר להתגורר בשוורין בשנת 1267. אחרי מאות שנים של פוגרומים, שריפות על המוקד וגירושים, היהודים הורשו לחזור לשוורין בשנת 1679, אך עם מגבלות: בנוסף לכך שנאלצו לשלם מסים מופרזים וכספי הגנה, הוטלו עליהם הגבלות עסקיות. כתוצאה מכך, האוכלוסייה היהודית באותה תקופה מעולם לא חרגה מעל 30 נפשות.

כאשר הוקלו המגבלות המסורבלות הללו, באמצע שנות ה-1700, שבו יהודים לשוורין. אף על פי שהקהילה קיבלה ב-1773 היתר לבנות בית כנסת, היא לא הצליחה, עד 1819, לאסוף את הכספים הדרושים. זמן קצר לאחר חנוכת בית הכנסת פרצו מהומות ה-"הפ-הפ" (Hep-Hep) נגד היהודים: המונים זועמים צעדו מול בית הכנסת וקראו: "סלקו את היהודים", אך מיהודי שוורין, בניגוד לבני דורם בערים אחרות, נחסכו הפוגרומים הקשים.

החל משנת 1933, כשהנהיגו הנאצים את החרם האנטי-יהודי, החלו יהודים רבים לעזוב את שוורין. מאוחר יותר, ב"ליל הבדולח" (9 בנובמבר, 1938), פנים בית הכנסת נבזז, ולאחר מכן תכולת בית הכנסת נשרפה באחת מכיכרות העיר. חל איסור על הצתת בית הכנסת בגלל קרבתו לבניינים רבים. הנאצים הכריחו את היהודים להרוס את המבנה בעצמם. ב-1942 גורשו כל היהודים שנותרו בשוורין.

שלוש שנים אחרי המלחמה, קבוצת יהודים חזרה לשוורין וייסדה קהילה יהודית חדשה. ב-1947, 100 יהודים גרו בשוורין. אחרי רכישת שני בניינים ברחוב שבו עמד פעם בית הכנסת העתיק, הקהילה הפכה את אחד מהם לבית כנסת ואת השני למרכז קהילתי.

האוכלוסייה היהודית הצטמצמה במהלך העשורים שלאחר מכן (שלושה חברים בשנת 1980), אך הגעתם של יהודים, מברית המועצות לשעבר, לעיר הצעיר את הקהילה. ב-2005 חיו 1,000 יהודים בשוורין (יותר מכפליים מאוכלוסיית השיא שלפני המלחמה).

ב-1951, הוסר הלוט מעל לוח זיכרון באתר בית הכנסת לשעבר, וב-1983 הוחל תכנון של בניין, שישמש העתק מיניאטורי של בית הכנסת ההרוס (הפרוייקט ממומן על ידי קרן פורד ומדינת מקלנבורג-מערב פומרניה).

-----------------------------

ערך זה פורסם לראשונה באנגלית באתר "בית אשכנז - בתי כנסת וקהילות שנחרבו בגרמניה" ונתרם למאגר המידע של מוזיאון העם היהודי באדיבות בית אשכנז.

סוג מקום:
עיר
מספר פריט:
131243
חובר ע"י חוקרים של אנו מוזיאון העם היהודי
מקומות קרובים:

פריטים קשורים:

שוורין

SCHWERIN 

שמות משפחה נובעים מכמה מקורות שונים. לעיתים לאותו שם קיים יותר מהסבר אחד. שם משפחה זה הוא מסוג השמות הטופונימיים (שם הנגזר משם של מקום כגון עיירה, עיר, מחוז או ארץ). שמות אלו, אשר נובעים משמות של מקומות, לא בהכרח מעידים על קשר היסטורי ישיר לאותו מקום, אבל יכולים להצביע על קשר בלתי ישיר בין נושא השם או אבותיו לבין מקום לידה, מגורים ארעיים, אזור מסחר או קרובי משפחה.

שם משפחה זה נגזר משמה של העיר שוורין, בירתה של מדינת מקלנבורג-פורפומרן בגרמניה. הנוכחות היהודית בשוורין מתועדת לראשונה בשנת 1266. שמות של מקומות, מחוזות וארצות מוצא יכולים להיות לפעמים מקורם של שמות משפחה יהודיים. אבל, בהעדרו של תיעוד משפחתי אמין, שמות משפחה המבוססים על שמות של מקומות לא יכולים להעיד על מוצאה של המשפחה.

שוורין מתועד כשם משפחה יהודי עם פאני שוורין לבית שרק, תושבת ברלין, גרמניה, אשר נולדה בעיר פוזנן, פולין (אז חלק מגרמניה) בשנת 1865, ונספתה בשואה לאחר שגורשה אל מחנה הריכוז הנאצי בטרזינשטאט.

פריץ לבנטל משוורין, גרמניה,
קצין יהודי בצבא הגרמני, תחילת המאה ה-20.
(המרכז לתיעוד חזותי ע"ש אוסטר, בית התפוצות,
באדיבות מיכל זהבי, ישראל)
בית הכנסת, שוורין, מחוז מקלנבורג,
מזרח גרמניה, שנות ה-1980
מימין אולם התפילה. בית הכנסת איננו בשימוש
מכיוון שבכל המחוז יש רק שלושה יהודים. משמאל נמצא
אולם זכרון שבו מסמכים ותמונות מן השנים 1933-1945
(המרכז לתיעוד חזותי ע"ש אוסטר, בית התפוצות)

Samuel Holdheim (1806-1860) Rabbi and theologian. Born in Kempen, the son of rigidly Orthodox parents, he was a profound talmudic scholar already in his youth. He went to Berlin and Prague for secular studies. In 1836 he was appointed rabbi in Frankfurt on Oder where he remained until 1840 and was a pioneer in modern homiletics and in according a modern role to the rabbi. Judaism for him was not an end in itself but part of a larger humanity. Holdheim moved to Schwerin as Landesrabbiner. He welcomed the new Reform movement and wrote many works advocating reforms in Jewish thinking and practice. He advocated changes in the laws of marriage and divorce which aroused polemics throughout Germany. When a Reform congregation was founded in Berlin in 1847 he was called to be its rabbi and preacher. Under him, the congregation became the most radical and revolutionary group in Reform Judaism. Sundays became the day of worship, second days of festivals were abolished, and intermarriage was sanctioned.

ליבק Luebeck

עיר לחוף הים הבאלטי, צפון גרמניה.

הקהילה היהודית 


בעבר הייתה ליבק עיר קיסרית עצמאית ובירת ערי ההאנזה, ולפיכך אסורה ליהודים. אפילו רוכלים יהודים, שהיו פוקדים את העיר, היו למורת-רוחם של התושבים.

ב- 1680 נזקקה ליבק למלווי כספים, ושני "יהודי חסות" קיבלו רשות להתגורר בה. בעיירה הסמוכה מויזלינג התיישבו רוכלים יהודים שסחרו בבגדים ישנים ובחפצים משומשים, וב-1697 הם קיבלו רשות להתארגן לקהילה.

כעבור 12 שנה מנתה קהילת מויזלינג 12 משפחות, ובסוף המאה ה-18 הגיע מספרן ל-70, והיו בחסות קהילת אלטונה. העיירה מויזלינג אמנם סופחה לליבק ב-1806, אך ההגבלות המסחריות והאזרחיות על היהודים בוטלו רק כעבור ארבע שנים, עם כניסת צבא הכיבוש הצרפתי. ב-1812 נחנך בית-כנסת בעיר. תבוסת נאפוליון העמידה בסכנה את הזכויות החדשות ועורך-דין יהודי מליבק, ק"א בוכהולץ, ניסה להגן עליהן בקונגרס וינה (1815), אך ללא הועיל.

יהודי ליבק נאלצו לחזור למויזלינג, שם הקימו בית-כנסת ובית-ספר. ורק אחרי מהפכת 1848 הותר ליהודים לגור בעיר ליבק עצמה.

באמצע המאה ה-19 מנתה הקהילה היהודית בעיר כ-520 נפש. חמשת הרבנים האחרונים שכיהנו בקהילה היו ר' אפרים פישל יואל, חתנו ר' אלכסנדר אדלר, חתנו של זה ר' שלמה קרליבך שכתב את תולדות הקהילה בליבק, בנו ר' יוסף קרליבך והאחרון ר' דוד וינטר.

ערב מלחמת העולם השנייה ישבו בליבק 650 יהודים.


תקופת השואה

כבר אחרי עליית הנאצים לשלטון בגרמניה החלו יהודים לעזוב את ליבק, מגמה זאת נמשכה אחרי ליל הבדולח (נובמבר 1938) ומיד אחרי פרוץ המלחמה (ספטמבר 1939). בחורף 1941, 1942 גורשו לריגה 85 היהודים האחרונים שנותרו בליבק.

הקהילה היהודית אחרי המלחמה ובמאה ה - 21


אחרי המלחמה שבו יהודים לחיות בליבק, ב-1948 מנתה הקהילה החדשה 250 יהודים וב-1950 - 30 בלבד.

בשנת 2005 לפי נתוני הארגונים היהודיים האוכלוסייה היהודית מנתה כ - 600 נפש , רובם יוצאי ברית המועצות לשעבר . בית הכנסת והמרכז הקהילתי שוקמו ובשנת 2000 נפתח מרכז לצעירים שמלמדים בו לימודי יהדות ומגוון נושאים . הקהילה מעסיקה עובדת סוציאלית ומפעילה מגוון של פעילויות חברתיות - תרבותיות .

 

פארכים

Parchim

עיר סמוכה לנהר אלדה (Elde), במחוז מקלנבורג (Mecklenburg),  גרמניה.

העדות הראשונה להימצאות יהודים בפארצ'ים היא מצבה משת 1304. יהודים הוזמנו לדוכסות כדי לפתח את המסחר במקום. לקהילה היהודית היה בית תפילה ברובע היהודי, שמוזכר לראשונה במסמכים מ- 1503. ב-1350 הואשמו היהודים בהרעלת בארות והם גורשו מן העיר. אחרי תקופת "המגפה השחורה" היהודים הורשו לשוב לעיר. ב-1492 גורשו היהודים מכל דוכסות מקלנבורג. במרוצת הזמן הם הורשו לשוב לפארצ'ים. מסמכים רשמיים מהמאה ה-18 מתעדים יהודים שחיו באזור באותה העת. היהודים היו חייבים לשלוח נציגים לוועידה המדינית שלהם (ה-"Judenlandtag")  שרשמה את האוכלוסייה היהודית של מקלנבורג. מכתבי "חסות" מאותה עת מעידים ששוב חיו יהודים בפארצ'ים. נראה שהקהילה הייתה אמידה למדי; בשנות 1700 לכמה משפחות היו ספרי תורה משלהם, שנתרמו מאוחר יותר לקהילה. בית כנסת בסגנון מורי וקישוטי פנים צבעוניים, מעידים שאבות הקהילה היו ממוצא ספרדי.

בתחילת המאה ה-20 נמנו בקהילה היהודית 16 משפחות, רובם שומרי מסורת. לקהילה היה בית עלמין בעיר. הקהילה העסיקה חזן, והפעילה בית ספר. רוב היהודים התפרנסו ממסחר.

ערב מלחמת העולם השנייה (ספטמבר, 1939) חיו בפארצ'ים 48 יהודים.


תקופת השואה

אחרי עליית הנאצים לשלטון בגרמניה (מרס 1933) בית העלמין היה הקורבן ראשון לפורענות, כשמנהל בית ספר מקומי ותלמידיו הרסו את המקום.

אין בידינו מידע על גורל הקהילה בימי מלחמת העולם השנייה (1945-1939) ולא ידוע אם עדיין חיים יהודים בפארצ'ים.

הגנוב

Hagenow

עיר במחוז לודוויגסלוסט-פרכים במקלנבורג-מערב פומרניה, גרמניה. 

המסמכים המוקדמים ביותר הזמינים של נוכחות יהודית בהגנוב הם משנת 1764. בין 16 ל-18 משפחות יהודיות התגוררו בהגנוב בשנת 1828.

אנשי הקהילה התפללו בחדר תפילה עד לשנת 1828, כאשר נחנך בית כנסת ברחוב האגן (Hagenstrasse), כחלק ממתחם בן שלושה בניינים, שכלל מרכז קהילתי (שם שכן בית הספר ללימודי דת), מקווה, ודירת מגורים למורה. על פי רישומים, יהודי הגנוב קידשו, ב-1806, בית קברות ברחוב פאטוור (Paetower). בשנת 1907, כתוצאה ממיעוט חברי קהילה, נסגר בית הכנסת. הבניין שימש למטרות שונות ונמכר בשנת 1942. ב-1933 9 או 11 יהודים חיו בהאגנוב.

למרות שבית הכנסת הוצת ב"ליל הבדולח" (9 בנובמבר, 1938), שכנים כיבו את השריפה. אחרי הפוגרום נשארו בהגנוב משפחה יהודית ורופא יהודי. ב-1942 המשפחה גורשה לאושוויץ. לפחות שניים מיהודי הגנוב ניספו בשואה.

בשנת 1988 הוצג לוח בחזית בניין בית הכנסת, וגם אבן זיכרון ברחוב פאטוור. מאוחר יותר, בין השנים 2009-2004, הפך המתחם למרכז תרבות, בו ניתן למצוא תערוכת קבע על ההיסטוריה של יהודי הגנוב. אבני מדרכות לזיכרון נחשפו בהאגנוב בשנת 2009.

-------------------------------------------

ערך זה פורסם לראשונה באנגלית באתר "בית אשכנז - בתי כנסת וקהילות שנחרבו בגרמניה" ונתרם למאגר המידע של מוזיאון העם היהודי באדיבות בית אשכנז.

גיסטרו

Güstrow 

עיר ובירת מחוז רוסטוק במקלנבורג-מערב פומרניה, גרמניה.

קיים רישום ראשון של קהילה יהודית בגיסטרו משנות ה-1200 המאוחרות; שיא האוכלוסייה היהודית: 223 אנשים בשנת 1860; בשנת 1933: 118 יהודים.

כאשר יהודים התיישבו לראשונה בגיסטרו בשנות ה-1200 המאוחרות, הם בנו בית כנסת והכשירו בית קברות. המשפטים האנטי-יהודיים, בהם הועמדו לדין יהודים על סירובם להתנצר, התרחשו בגיסטרו בשנת 1330. 20 יהודים הועלו על המוקד, חפציהם הוחרמו, ובית הכנסת הפך לכנסיה.

רק ב-1819 הותר למספר רב של יהודים להתיישב בגיסטרו, לאחר מכן האוכלוסייה היהודית גדלה במהירות, והגיעה לשיא של 223 אנשים ב-1860. חדרי התפילה של הקהילה לא הצליחו להכיל את הקהילה הגדלה, וב-1829, יומיים לפני ראש השנה היהודי, בית כנסת חדש נפתח לתפילה בעיר. בסמוך לבית הכנסת היו מרכז קהילתי ובית ספר.

ב-1910 האוכלוסייה היהודית של גיסטרו החלה להידלדל, וב-1933 נמנו 118 יהודים בגיסטרו (ו-50 ב-1937). ב"ליל הבדולח" (9 בנובמבר, 1938), המוני תושבים מקומיים הרסו את בית הכנסת. ברצונם להבטיח את ההרס המוחלט של הבניין, הם לא רק הרטיבו את פנים הבניין בדלק, אלא גם ריססו את הקירות החיצוניים בדלק. השריפה שלאחר מכן הייתה כה עזה, עד שהבניין נשרף במשך למעלה מ-36 שעות. האספסוף העלה באש גם את אולם הטהרה ובבית הקברות הם ניפצו מצבות.

ב-1988 הוצב לוח זיכרון בבית הקברות.

-------------------------------------

ערך זה פורסם לראשונה באנגלית באתר "בית אשכנז - בתי כנסת וקהילות שנחרבו בגרמניה" ונתרם למאגר המידע של מוזיאון העם היהודי באדיבות בית אשכנז.

רוסטוק

Rostock

עיר במקלנבורג מערב-פומרניה, גרמניה.

נוכחות ראשונה של קהילה יהודית נרשמה ב-1279; שיא האוכלוסייה היהודית: 360 אנשים ב-1933; אוכלוסייה יהודית ב-1933: 360 אנשים.

רוסטוק הוקמה על ידי סוחרים באמצע המאה ה-13; ביניהם היו יהודים רבים. ב-1280 הקימו היהודים בית קברות מחוץ לעיר ליד קרופלין טור (Kroeplin Tor). הם גורשו מהעיר אחרי פרעות "המוות השחור" בשנים 1349-1348. רק החל מ-1868 הותר ליהודים להתיישב שוב ברוסטוק. היהודי הראשון שהתיישב בעיר היה גוסטב ישראל (Gustav Israel), יצרן סיגרים. תוך שנה האוכלוסייה היהודים גדלה ל-25 משפחות. קהילה יהודית מודרנית נוסדה ב-1868 או 1870. במשך עשורים רבים נערכו תפילות בבתים פרטיים. אנו יודעים שפונדק ברחוב לינדן/ריכארד ווגנר שימש גם למפגשים קהילתיים. בזכות מורשתו של מאיר גימפל, יהודי עשיר, יכלה הקהילה לרכוש חלקת אדמה באוגוסטנשטראסה 101 כדי להקים בניין בית כנסת. בית התפילה החדש תוכנן ועוצב על ידי האדריכל פרופ' לודוויג לוי. בספטמבר 1902, בית הכנסת קודש בחגיגיות בנוכחות הרב הראשי דר' פביאן פיילכנפלד (1910-1827). מגן דוד בגובה 18 מטר קישט את בית הכנסת החדש, שהיו לו קשתות בסגנון רומנסקי ורוזטות גותיות. בית הכנסת הכיל 350 מושבים, והיה בית הכנסת הגדול והייצוגי ביותר בדוכסות הגדולה מקלנבורג-שוורין (Mecklenburg-Schwerin). מבנה בית הכנסת כלל לפחות כיתה אחת, בה לימד מורה שיעורי דת ושיעורי עברית לילדי בית הספר היהודים. בדרך כלל, ילדים יהודים למדו בבתי ספר יסודיים ציבוריים. הקהילה, המורכבת מחברים אורתודוקסים וליברלים, שמרה על מסורות בית הכנסת השמרניות יותר.

לאחר 1870, הוקם בית עלמין יהודי על חלקת אדמה שהייתה חלק ממקום הקבורה הנוצרית של רוסטוק (היום: בלינדנפארק). הקבורה היהודית הראשונה התקיימה ב-1873. לאחר מכן בית העלמין התרחב ובסופו של דבר נרכש על ידי הקהילה היהודית. עד שנת 1942, יותר מ-360 אנשים נקברו שם. מצבות רבות (בערך 178) נשמרו; ביניהם מצבותיהם של היצרן זיגמונד ברנהרד (1934-1846) ושל בנו ארנולד (1944-1886), שהיה הנשיא האחרון של הקהילה היהודית של רוסטוק (1941-1938).

רבות מהמשפחות היהודיות של רוסטוק הגיעו מעיירות קטנות במקלנבורג והתפרנסו בעיקר מעסקי טקסטיל ומסחר בגרוטאות. עם זאת, הם הצליחו גם להשתלב בתחומי החיים המקצועיים, לעבוד כרופאים, עורכי דין וחוקרים ידועים באוניברסיטת ​​רוסטוק. האוכלוסייה היהודית גדלה מ-118 יהודים בשנת 1871 ל-221 בשנת 1880.

האנטישמיות התחזקה כאשר אוניברסיטת רוסטוק חגגה את יום השנה ה-500 שלה בשנת 1919. נישאו נאומים אנטישמיים. סטודנטים יהודים גורשו מהאוניברסיטה והחוזים של כל המדריכים היהודים הופסקו.

על כל פנים, בתחילת המאה (1900), מספרם של חברי הקהילה היהודית ברוסטוק היה הגבוה ביותר במקלנבורג. מספר האוכלוסייה היהודית גדל ב-1910 ל-317 נפשות, כולל היהודים שהתגוררו בוורנמונדה (Warnemuende). ב-1926 מושב הרבנות האזורי הועבר משווין (Schwerin) לרוסטוק. הרב הראשי דר' זיגפריד זילברשטיין (1935-1866) פיקח על כל הקהילות היהודיות במקלנבורג-שוורין משנת 1911 ועד 1934. החזן, ברנהרד סאוויץ (1930-1857) הגיע מליטא בשנת 1884 ושירת את קהילת רוסטוק במשך יותר מ-40 שנה.

ב-1933/32 מספר חברי הקהילה היהודית של רוסטוק הגיעה לשיא של בערך 360 אנשים (0.4% מכלל האוכלוסייה). 35 תלמידים יהודים קיבלו הדרכה דתית, ככל הנראה, על ידי המורה הס, ששימש גם כחזן הקהילה.

שלוש אגודות סעד – ארגון נשים יהודיות, שהוקם בשנת 1876; חברת תגמולים, שנוסדה בשנת 1922; ו"חברה קדישא", שהחלה לפעול ב-1902 – סיפקו עזרה לעניים ולנזקקים.

בשנות ה-30 של המאה ה-20 יהודי אחד מהיינריכשאגן (Heinrichshagen), שישה משוואן (Schwaan), חמישה מזולזה (Suelze), ושמונה מווארנמונדה (Warnemuende) היו קשורים לקהילת רוסטוק.

תושבים מקומיים אכפו חרם נגד יהודים ברוסטוק. כבר בדצמבר 1932, הוטל חרם על חנויות ועסקים בבעלות יהודית. חרם אנטי-יהודי נוסף בוצע ב-11 במרץ 1933, כאשר אנשי עסקים יהודים נאלצו לסגור זמנית את חנויותיהם. החרם הארצי על עסקים יהודים יושם ברוסטוק כבר ב-30 במרץ 1933. משמרות אנשי ס"א הוצבו בפתח חנויות בבעלות יהודית. מרבית 57 החנויות, קליניקות רפואיות ומשרדים, שנפגעו מהמשמרות נאלצו להיסגר. בעלי ועובדי משרדים אויימו וגם הותקפו פיזית. בימים שלאחר מכן הועברו יהודים מקומיים נודעים "למשמורת מגן" ופרופסורים באוניברסיטאות יהודיות מקומיות פוטרו.

בגלל החרם, מספר יהודים מקומיים עזבו את העיר; אחדים היגרו לאנגליה, הולנד וכנראה שגם למדינות אחרות; אחדים עברו לערים גדולות בגרמניה. למרות זאת, באותה עת, הרבה יהודים עברו מהכפרים לרוסטוק. רבים מהם מצאו עבודה במפעל היהודי המקומי הגדול ביותר, המפעל לנעליים אורטופדיות "אמסא" (Emsa Works), בבעלות מקס סמואל, שהיה יו"ר הקהילה היהודית של רוסטוק. אחת מהעובדות הייתה אירמה בורכרדט (Irma Borchardt), שב-1933 פוטרה מעבודתה אך מצאה עבודה חדשה במפעלי "אסמא". שנים מספר לאחר מכן היא התחתנה. עם זאת, היא, בעלה ואמה חיו, כל הזמן, על קו העוני. ביולי 1942, אירמה, שהייתה באותה תקופה בהריון שבעה חודשים ומשפחתה גורשו לאושוויץ ומיד עם הגעתם נשלחו לתאי הגזים.

מפעלי "אמסה" נמסרו בכוח לידיים לא יהודיות והמשיכו בייצור בשמם החדש: מפעלי ווס (Voss Works). מספר רב של עסקים יהודיים ברוסטוק עברו לידיים אריות החל מ-1938. בסוף אוקטובר 1938, 40 יהודים ממוצא פולני נעצרו ברוסטוק וגורשו לגבול הפולני, ביניהם שמש הקהילה, אברהם גלוקסמן. רק 175 יהודים נותרו ברוסטוק ב-1938.

בית הכנסת נבזז בשעות המוקדמות של 10 בנובמבר 1938. ספרי קודש וחפצי פולחן הושלכו לרחוב והוצתו, ולאחר מכן הבניין נשרף לחלוטין; השריפה נמשכה 24 שעות. לוחמי האש הגנו רק על הבניינים הסמוכים מפני האש. פלוגות ס"ס וא"ס השחיתו בתים וחנויות בבעלות יהודית.

כ-70-60 יהודים נעצרו על ידי חברי ס"א ושוטרים ונלקחו לבית הכלא של המשטרה בנוייר מרקט (Neuer Markt). מאוחר יותר הם הועברו לבית הכלא המחוזי באלטשטרליץ (Altstrelitz). שם הם נאלצו לעבוד בביצות במשך מספר שבועות. ב-1944 הריסות בית הכנסת נפגעו מפצצה. הקהילה היהודית נאלצה למכור את האתר.

עד פרוץ מלחמת העולם השנייה ב-1939, יהודים נוספים עזבו את רוסטוק; בתחילת ספטמבר 1939, רק כ-70 יהודים חיו בעיר. ביולי ובנובמבר 1942, רוב היהודים הנותרים גורשו לאושוויץ-בירקנאו ולתרזיינשטאט. אין מידע רב על גורלם. אחרי הגירושים של 1942 נותרו רק 25 יהודים ברוסטוק. חלקם גויסו לעבודות כפייה בצרפת או בתוך הרייך הגרמני.

יותר מ-120 יהודים מקומיים נִספו בשואה. רק 14 תושבים יהודים שרדו אחרי התקופה הנאצית ברוסטוק. שתי נשים יהודיות חזרו לרוסטוק מתרזיינשטאט, אחרי המלחמה.

כיום באתר בית הכנסת לשעבר עומד בניין דירות. בשנת 1988 הוקמה לידו אנדרטת זיכרון. ב-1994, נוסדה קהילה יהודית חדשה על ידי מהגרים מברית המועצות לשעבר. ב-2004, הקהילה חגגה את פתיחתו של בית כנסת חדש. ב-2005 חיו 600 יהודים ברוסטוק.

-------------------------------

ערך זה פורסם לראשונה באנגלית באתר "בית אשכנז - בתי כנסת וקהילות שנחרבו בגרמניה" ונתרם למאגר המידע של מוזיאון העם היהודי באדיבות בית אשכנז.

Krakow am See

A village in the Rostock district, in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Germany.

It is not known when Jews began settling in Krakow am See. The first accusation Host desecration in Mecklenburg took place in 1325 in Krakow am See. Jewish residents were accused of breaking into the town church and stealing and desecrating the hosts consecrated there. The defendants were tortured to testify and then wheeled to death on a hill near the city. This hill bears the name Jörnberg, a variant of Judenberg. The death of the Jews made it possible for the prince to get rid of his creditors and to enrich himself with their wealth. From then on the Jews avoided Krakow am See and after all Jews were expelled from Mecklenburg as a result of the murder of the Jews in Sternberg in 1492, no Jews lived in Krakow am See for several centuries.

It was not until the 18th century that Jews were given the right to stay in Krakow am See again. Around 1730 Jewish peddlers were trading in Krakow am See markets and in 1756 David Hirsch, Arnud Moses and Moses Jochim were the first protected Jews to settle in Krakow am See and allowed to trade. They were also among the founders of the Jewish community. The community's prime was between the middle of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century. In 1865 it had the largest number of members with 110 people. The textile trade in Krakow am See was mainly operated by the Jewish families Nathan, Bragenheim, Wolffson and Salomon, and Jewish inhabitants were also active in the fur trade as well as in the timber industry.

In 1819 there were 56 Jews in 17 families in Krakow am See. To ensure the burial of the dead, a place was acquired on Plauener Chaussee in 1821. The first burial took place in 1829. Among the 61 remaining gravestones are the graves of the well-known local poet Joseph Nathan (1869-1927) and of Rabbi Bernhard Rasbern (1869-1891). The last tombstones were date from 1927/1930/1937. Located in the immediate vicinity of the Protestant cemetery and thanks to the courageous intervention of Krakow am See's citizens, the Jewish cemetery survived the Pogrom Night of 1938 unscathed. Today it is looked after by a school class. A wooden stele at the entrance indicates its earlier purpose.

Almuth Wagner writes about religious community life and the construction of the synagogue in the classicistic arched style in her essay on Krakow am See on the Lake: "On June 19, 1845, Friedrich Franz, the Grand Duke of Mecklenburg, confirmed the municipal code for the Jews of Krakow am See. The Jewish community was a religious institution that represented political and social interests at the same time. Three people formed the board of the community. The most important task was to maintain, uphold and practice religion. The tradition-loyal Krakow am See Jews (called "Old Pious") strictly adhered to the halacha which details the purpose and conduct of life of the Jews. With the construction of the synagogue the community created its center. This is where the community gathered, worshiped, and studied the religious scriptures. Together with the cemetery it formed the center of community life. With this the prerequisites for a Jewish community were developed in Krakow am See.

The community had bought the property from the city's magistrate. The construction of the simple synagogue made of yellow bricks with a prayer hall, women's gallery and side rooms was financed almost entirely by the community members. Only a grace grant of 200 RM was approved by the Grand Ducal Mecklenburg pension office for the construction. The newly built synagogue at 7 Plauer Strasse (today Schulplatz 1) was inaugurated on December 12, 1866, in the presence of the regional rabbi Dr. Cohn and 110 community members. The community regulated all official acts in and outside the synagogue, organized the religious and funeral service, committed religious officials (teachers, prayer leaders, slaughterers), maintained contact with the state rabbi and the senior councilor, took care of the poor and regulated finance and taxation. 

On the occasion of the Hanukkah festival which commemorates the rededication of the Temple in Jerusalem in 165 B.C., the 110 community members took over the new building. The ritual immersion bath, the mikveh, also belonged to the synagogue.

At the end of the 19th century, as in many other Mecklenburg communities, many Jews of Krakow am See left the village because of economic, social and political reasons. The decreasing number of members worsened the financial situation of the Jewish community. In 1912 there were still 10 paying members. The synagogue was only used on the main holidays. Due to financial difficulties it was decided in 1919 to sell the synagogue. In 1920 it was sold to the municipality amd turned into a gymnasium and thus survived the Nazi persecutions largely unscathed. In 1928 the last young family (Bragenheim) moved from Krakow am See to Rostock. With this the community activities ceased and with the death of the last headmaster Benno Nathan the Jewish community was dissolved in 1930. The former synagogue survived the Pogrom Night in 1938 unharmed. It has served its purpose as a gym up to the present day.

In 1985 the building of the former synagogue was converted into a library, a city council hall and a home office and served to preserve the memory of the Jewish community in Krakow am See. After 1989 a new usage concept was developed in cooperation with the "Foundation for Meeting Place for Jewish History and Culture" in Rostock. In 1992 the restoration work began. On the occasion of the 130th anniversary of the Old Synagogue, the house was opened to the public on May 18, 1996. Since its opening the former synagogue has been the seat of Krakow am See Information office and has developed into a spiritual and cultural center of the city of Krakow am See. The cultural association "Old Synagogue Krakow am See at the Lake" also uses it as an exhibition and event center. A permanent exhibition about the life of Jewish citizens in Mecklenburg reminds of the original purpose of the building and the destroyed Jewish community in Krakow am See.

-------------------------------
This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

Malchow

A municipality in the Mecklenburgische Seenplatte district, in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Germany.

Around the middle of the 18th century, Jewish traders and their families probably settled in Malchow and in the neighboring towns of Röbel and Waren. One of them was Salomon Jakauf, who ran a small business of spinning yarn and woven fabrics, which he passed on to his son Moses in 1760 who later called himself Moses Jakob. In the following generations, the family was called Jacobsohn due to a naming law published in 1813 by Grand Duke Friedrich Franz I. The Jacobson family belonged to one of the most important and respected families in Malchow until the Jews were expelled and murdered by the Nazis. This family history was written down by Max Jacobson for his descendants after his liberation from Theresienstadt Nazi concentration camp.

From documents in the Mecklenburg State Main Archives it can be seen that the Jews Elias Salomon and Lewin David from Malchow each had to pay 12 Reichsthaler protection money to the Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin in 1760 and that the protected Jews Michaelsohn Lewinthal, Simon Schmuhl, Salomon Jacob, Joachim Simon, Aaron Seligmann and Hirsch Lewin received the trade privilege. In this context it should be pointed out that the so-called "privileges" granted to Jews were of course actually none such, because every Christian citizen could of course register his trade with the local administrations. "Privileges" and "protection money" are therefore more an indication of the lack of rights of the Jews at that time and were not awarded to all Jews.

At the beginning of the 19th century probably due to the immigration of further Jews in Malchow, a Jewish community was formed, which elected a board to exercise its rights towards the city and the federal state government. The Malchow city archive shows that in 1812 the protected Jews Joseph Moses and Salomon Jakob were the principles. With the establishment of the Jewish community, the cemetery was also laid out. 48 Jews lived in Malchow between 1811 and 1819. (A census list of Jews of both genders and children under 15 from 1818 is on p. 9 in the brochure of Karl-Heinz Oelke, Aus der Geschichte der jüdischen Gemeinde in Malchow (Meckl.), 1994 published by the city of Malchow) The synagogue was built between 1820 and 1825 at Langen Strasse 64. It was similar to the synagogues in Röbel and Waren: a long rectangular building with bricked-up compartments and a heavy tiled roof, the long sides with three stripes, on the front side, directly under the eaves, a small row of windows, probably for the women's gallery. From 1775 there was a regulation that synagogues could only be built on side streets and set back behind the street front. As in other Jewish communities, the synagogue in Malchow was the center of the religious and social life of the Jews. In 1828 the Jews in Mecklenburg were given the right to purchase their own property, which several families in Malchow and the Jewish community itself used between 1834 and 1838 to purchase houses.

The Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin Friedrich-Franz I issued an ordinance in 1843 in which he instructed various Jewish communities, including Malchow, to set up religious schools for school-age children. It was only allowed to employ teachers who had attended a German teachers' seminar and passed a teacher examination and had been approved by the regional rabbi. The children of the Jewish faith were obliged to attend religious school from the age of 6 to 14. Subjects were religion, Biblical history, Jewish writing, Hebrew prayer translation, Hebrew reading. For Jewish boys attending grammar school, religious lessons were limited to four hours a week.

By 1858 the number of Jewish residents in Malchow had increased to about 110 and continued to increase, albeit only slightly until 1882. A decline in the number of Jewish families can only be recorded from 1900, i.e. later than in other small towns in Mecklenburg, where emigration usually began in the 1960s for political and economic reasons, which of course also decreased the income from the contributions of the members. In 1912 there were still 8 male and 5 female contributors living in Malchow, 8 of whom were older than 55 years. The synagogue was no longer used for the Shabbat service, the community members only gathered here on the three highest Jewish holidays. In 1935 the synagogue building which was no longer in use, was sold to master carpenter Kroschel, who had also acquired property in Langen Strasse 103 from the Jewish community in previous years. In 1992 the synagogue building was demolished by the owner because it was in disrepair.

From the childhood memories of Max Jacobson mentioned above, who wrote down his family history after the liberation from Theresienstadt, the picture emerges that Jews and Christians lived peacefully together in Malchow in the 19th century.

"On Saturday I had no school, because then I had to go to the synagogue, quite apart from the fact that I was not allowed to write on Shabbos. In general one day passed like another in my hometown. The inhabitants of the small country town, farmers, small traders, craftsmen and merchants grew their cabbage and potatoes themselves and were satisfied, upright and sincere people. The eldest son of the family usually inherited the house and property, the other children became craftsmen or merchants and often married into another family. This was especially the case when there were no male heirs in a family. – Two doctors and a dentist took care of the city's health. They, the mayor councilor Rettberg, the district judge, the pastor, pharmacist and candidate for higher civil service, as well as the director of the rather important cloth factory made up the city's dignitaries. At the art-loving pharmacist’s home, literary evenings were held weekly which my mother also attended, and for music my parents' house was the center of all music lovers. I had a happy and undisturbed youth with my siblings and schoolmates. The annual gymnastics event, the folk festival in June and the children's festival in July, at which all schools participated, as well as the autumn market were highlights in the life of the town. On these festive days there was a parade ride on the lake with fireworks and decorated boats and in winter a big ice festival ... On October 12, 1894 I joined the 8th Würtemberg Infantry Regiment No. 126 in Strasbourg in Alsace. Raised in a patriotic spirit by my parents and school, I was a soldier with body and soul. Neither from the side of superiors nor from comrades was there a trace of anti-Semitism ..." (ibid. p. 21) In the First World War he was initially a sergeant and was made an officer in September 1917. He received various orders of merit and, like several other Malchow Jews was honored for bravery. Another member of the large Jacobson family, Isidor Jacobson, was a successful businessman, head of the Jewish community and a volunteer in various committees and associations in the city and regarded as an equal citizen. The same can be said of various members of the Levy, Löwenthal and Schlomann merchant families over several generations.

In the Weimar Republic, there were anti-Semitic riots in Malchow for the first time. In the federal state elections of June 1926 the NSDAP received 6 votes in town, in May 1927, 13 votes and in June 1929, 37 voters voted for the NSDAP. With the transfer of power by President of the Reich von Hindenburg to Hitler on January 30, 1933, the discrimination and persecution of Jewish citizens began in Malchow as well. There were a few Christian residents, such as the families of the goods merchant Carl Stein, the hairdresser and master rope maker Lehrmann, and the master shoemaker Schmidt who helped Jews. "In his letter, Karl Schmidt shares a story about the name Schlomann that may have happened many times in the small towns, almost a peripheral occurrence, a gesture of obvious neighborly solidarity. Richard Schlomann, probably a son of the aforementioned Hermann Schlomann, served in the First World War and bearer of the Iron Cross, was an itinerant dealer. He carried his goods to his customers in the village and town on a bicycle with a large luggage rack. The commentator's grandfather, a master shoemaker, was friends with Schlomann. When more and more restrictions were imposed on the Jews and it was literally made difficult for them to buy bread and groceries, the master shoemaker often met with Schlomann in the cemetery to give him a briefcase with groceries. Schlomann could no longer come to the shoemaker's workshop. The city policeman Maack had already warned: One ought to be careful, people are watching... I still remember the conversation my father had with my mother after he returned from Rostock. Schlomanns were waiting for the transport to Poland. Father wanted to encourage him and said: Maybe they'll finally leave you alone and Richard replied: No, no, Karl, they're killing us all." (Jürgen Borchert, Des Zettelkastens andrer Teil, Rostock 1988, S. 115)

Otto Löwenthal was one of the Jews who foresaw the disastrous development and moved to Berlin with his wife and daughter at the end of December 1935, and from there probably fled to Palestine. Betty Jacobson, Isidor's wife, who died before 1938 and was buried in Malchow, was deported to Theresienstadt in 1942 and perished there in 1943. The daughter Anne was able to save herself to Palestine with her husband Kurt Hesse and their son Peter. Likewise Norbert Schlomann, who could not bring his parents Richard and Hedwig Schlomann later on. In the foreclosure auction procedure, Jewish residential properties were handed over to new, presumably Nazi oriented owners. On the Pogrom Night in 1938, only the Jewish cemetery in Malchow was still owned by Jews. Except for the Schlomann gravestone with the inscription: " Hermann Schlomann, died in 1913 " it was devastated. Today there is a sign directing to the Jewish cemetery near the entrance.

--------------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

Boizenburg

A municipality in the Ludwigslust-Parchim district in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Germany.

The town charter of 1267 of the town of Boizenburg shows that Jews lived in Boizenburg as early as the 13th century. They earned their living mainly as "tradesmen", as they were called at the time. For this they needed a letter of protection and a so-called privilege of the Duke or Grand Duke of Mecklenburg, for which they in turn had to pay a certain sum of money (thaler) annually. The Jews' money was welcome, but at the same time they were discriminated against and not treated as Jews with equal rights. Those who became wealthy through their commercial activities aroused envy and resentment among the non-Jewish population, which in turn encouraged the emergence of anti-Semitic attitudes and the persecution of Jews from the Middle Ages to the 20th century. Nevertheless, the Jews in Boizenburg were able to set up their own synagogue community. Since 1768 they had their own cemetery on the outskirts in the "Turnereichen". The gravestones are largely weathered today, the inscriptions can hardly be read, some tombstones also bear the name Western Pomerania. In 1799 a synagogue was built at Kleine Wallstrasse 7, which was later completely rebuilt in 1864. The front and back of the building were given a new facade, behind which the framework disappeared. The Grand Duke supported the renovation with two hundred thalers, the Arch Grand Duchess with 50 thalers. The following report appeared about the inauguration in the Wochenblatt für Boizenburg, Hagenow, Wittenburg und Umgebung No. 79 of October 1, 1864, which gives the impression that the Jewish community in Boizenburg was respected and honored at the time:

“September 28th. Yesterday the inauguration of the local newly built synagogue took place. The building, an ornament of the city, has been built in a new style, inside and out a friendly place of worship that corresponds to its purpose. At 3 o'clock in the afternoon the procession moved from the house of S. Lazarus through part of the city, accompanied by appropriate music. Four little girls went ahead, in the midst of them a boy, carrying the key to the synagogue on a pillow, followed by the young women, all dressed in white, followed by the three master builders, the authorities of the city and the bureau, the state rabbi and the carriers of the beautifully decorated 5 torah scrolls, these were lined up in a long procession by the ladies, all guests of honor and many strangers who came here especially for this celebration. The community members formed the end. Arriving at the portal of the synagogue, the head of the community, Mr. M. Cohn, handed the key to the synagogue to the mayor Bürger. In the short speech at the solemn presentation of the key, he emphasized how this house had been built through divine grace and the help of benevolent people and thanked the mayor for his lively and friendly cooperation in promoting the construction, whereupon the mayor Bürger opened the door of the synagogue after a short but apt and heartfelt address to the Israelite community. The house of worship was festively illuminated and now, after the participants had taken their assigned seats, the actual worthy celebration began. This was introduced by German and Hebrew chants, whereupon the state rabbi, Dr. Cohn, who gave the dedicatory sermon and knew how to captivate and stimulate the audience with his expressive, imaginative language. In the closing prayer, he also remembered HRH the Grand Duke and HRH the Grand Duchess, as well as HRH the Arch Grand Duchess who graciously made generous donations to the small community for the construction of the house of worship. A final chant ended the beautiful and worthy celebration."

In the same issue of the weekly paper, D. Lazarus, M. Cohn and Saly Lazarus thanked the Boizenburgers with a note. It read: "We would like to express our warmest and most heartfelt thanks to all of our dear fellow citizens for their kind help in promoting our synagogue building and the lively, heartfelt participation in the inauguration ceremony."

In the course of the following decades the Jewish community in Boizenburg became smaller and smaller. In 1828 there were 63 Jews in the place, in 1846 only 38 and in 1892 the community consisted of only 19 members. The Jewish families all had several children. The eldest son mostly took over the father's business, so that the younger siblings no longer had sufficient opportunities for their livelihood. That is why they emigrated to the larger cities or overseas in order to build up a new existence. Because of the severe decimation, the synagogue could no longer be maintained either. On February 18, 1892, it was sold to the Masonic lodge Vesta zu den Drei Türme. After the Masonic lodges were banned in 1934 the building was used as a museum of local history, which meant that it was not destroyed on the Pogrom Night in 1938. From 1980 it housed the music classroom, since October 1993 it has belonged again to the Freemasons, who carried out extensive renovation work. So far a plaque is still missing indicating that this building was the synagogue from 1799 to 1892.

From 1892 to 1900 the members of the Jewish community gathered for prayer on the first floor of the building at Baustrasse 25. A few years ago when the 30 m2 room was renovated, after the layers of wallpaper had been peeled off, remnants of wall paintings from that time came to light. House No.25, as well as house No.26, was owned by the well-known and respected family of the tobacco miller David Lazarus. Religious instruction for the Jewish children was probably also given here.

In 1924 only three Jewish families lived in Boizenburg. The family of the merchant Cohn at Baustrasse 12. He traded in hides and skins. Bernhard Cohn and his daughter Berta were the last Jewish residents in Boizenburg. They were able to escape National Socialism in 1933. The Hugo Katz family had lived at Reichenstrasse 18 since 1905 and ran a textile shop there. The family of the textile merchant Franz Wolff lived on the corner of Königstrasse and Kirchplatz. He already gave up his business in 1931. 

At the time of the Pogrom Night of 1938 there were no longer any Jews living in Boizenburg, so there were no riots. 

In March 1944, a satellite camp of the Neuengamme concentration camp was set up on the Elbberg and around 400 undernourished Jewish women and girls were housed in barracks. They had to do forced labor in the armaments production of the Boizenburg shipyard, which was then owned by Thomsen u. Co. Shortly before the end of the war the camp was cleared and after a five-day march, the Jewish women and girls were liberated by American soldiers on May 2, 1945. In October 1969 a memorial was unveiled on the Elbberg at the B5 to commemorate the Jewish prisoners of the Neuengamme satellite camp.

-------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

Buetzow

Bützow

A town in the district of Rostock in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany.

In modern times around 1740, a Jewish community had developed which in 1780 built a synagogue when the community was at its heyday. The community also had a mikveh and a cemetery, but not a Jewish school. In the middle of the 19th century there were still around 70 Jews living in Bützow. After strong emigration of the members at the end of the 19th century and at the beginning of the 20th century, the community was dissolved in 1921/1922, the former synagogue was used as a residential building and was therefore probably not destroyed on Pogrom Night (Nov. 9. 1938).

Gustav Josephy and Julius Horwitz, however, were arrested and taken to the Alt Strelitz prison, from where they were released after a few weeks through "self-ransom". The cellar in which the mikveh was located at 5. Wallstrasse 2, the house of the former community employee, collapsed. The Jewish cemetery is part of the city cemetery and is maintained by the Evangelical-Lutheran parish. Amongst the last Jewish residents were Julius Horwitz, born on May 12th, 1865 in Bützow and his wife Margarete, b. Frisch, born on February 21, 1870 in Koenigsberg. They were deported to Theresienstadt on November 20th, 1942 where Margarete Horwitz was murdered on April 3rd, 1943, Julius Horwitz on July 26th, 1943. Gustav Josephy (converted to Christianity before he married a non-Jewish woman) fled to Holland in 1939, was arrested there in 1944 and deported to Auschwitz. There are memorial plaques on their former homes, but not yet on the houses of the former synagogue and mikveh.

-------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

Neustadt-Glewe

A town in the district of Ludwigslust-Parchim in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Germany.

A letter of request dated June 10, 1773 provides information about the first Jews who can be verified to have lived in Neustadt: The protected Jew Joseph Hirsch asks Duke Friedrich for help since he is in need because of illness and death. In 1795 there were already five Jewish families living in Neustadt. Their names were Hirsch, Ascher, Weyl, Meyer and Magnus. It was particularly difficult for the poor Jews, who could not buy a protection letter or "privilege". They had to enter service as "Jews servants", i.e. as pack carriers who had to carry the parcels of goods for the protected Jews on their backs from place to place and from market to market. Since the Jews were not allowed to keep horse-drawn vehicles, these services were carried out by the "Jews servants". However, Jews who were not born in Mecklenburg were also not allowed to be employed. This was closely monitored and the offenders were immediately deported abroad to Prussia, Hamburg, Lübeck or Lower Saxony. Anyone who did not have a "privilege" or had no job was not allowed to stay in one place for more than 24 hours and had to move on. For many families this meant hardship, misery and homelessness. They were persecuted as tramps and chased away. 

Around 1850 there were ten families in Neustadt. (Ascher, Weyl, Salomon, Meyer, Simon, Loeser, Aron, Siemon, Wulffsberg and Rosenthal) Apparently there was a lively community life. There was an old synagogue, the location of which is no longer available. In 1826 a new one was planned, which was popularly called "the monastery" and which later burned down. After that the Jewish community used a building at Marktstrasse 4 as synagogue.

"An iron cubit measure attached to the right side of the town hall in Neustadt-Glewe testifies to the lively trading activity in Neustadt from 1820 to 1860, which was used by the market master as an official measure. You can still see it today. Next to it hung on a hook and fastened with a chain his liter measure. According to tradition, the yardstick was also popularly known as the "Jewish yardstick". This is how the share of the Jewish Neustädter resident in the commercial life at that time could be measured." 

The Jewish craftsmen were given the same rights as the Christian craftsmen by Duke Friedrich Franz II in 1836. The letters of protection and protection money were abolished and Jewish apprentices were admitted to vocational training.

On September 10, 1845, the Duke issued the "Municipal Code for the Jewish inhabitants of the city of Neustadt". The Jews were put on an equal footing with the churches and were given civil rights. It was determined that the Jewish community would elect the board and the two heads. A patron appointed by the magistrate was assigned to the board as a supervisor. The women had no right to vote.

( Facsimile of the confirmation of the municipal code of the 10. The Jewish community grew in number in the first half of the 19th century to around 1860 to up to 78 people and then decreased rapidly in the following decades due to emigration because of poor earning opportunities. At the end of the century there were still 5 members. The community had to be dissolved. The members who remained in Neustadt joined the community in Parchim. The property and material assets from the synagogue were also brought to Parchim. Since 1900 the number of the Jewish population in Neustadt increased again for a short time, but then decreased again. In 1925 there were only 7 Jews left in the place. During the Nazi regime, the remaining Jews were harassed by anti-Semitic hate speech and riots. A few such as the Kahn family, had the opportunity to flee abroad. Others tried to find shelter in large cities to avoid the threat of annihilation. Most, however, were deported to concentration camps and murdered there. The Jewish cemetery was on Neuhofer Strasse and was transferred to the Jewish state community of Schwerin when the community was dissolved, with around 80 graves. Unknown people are said to have destroyed it in 1940/41. Today it can no longer be recognized as a cemetery, only the so-called "Jewish oak" reminds us that the burial place was here.

-------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz. 

Rehna

A town in the Nordwestmecklenburg district, in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Germany.

Dokumente, die die jüdische Präsenz in der Handwerker-Stadt Rehna belegen, stammen aus dem 18. und frühen 19. Jahrhundert. Wir wissen, dass sich jüdisch reisende Verkäufer 1730 in Rehna aufgehalten haben. 1734 empfing Herzog Charles Leopold an seinem Hof eine jüdische Familie namens Hinrichsen. Die ersten Schutzjuden, zwei jüdische Familien, ließen sich 1744 in Rehna nieder. Ein Gesetz von 1756 erlaubte jüdischen Hausierern nur zu handeln, was sie auf dem Rücken tragen konnten. Trotz dieser Einschränkung wuchs die jüdische Bevölkerung 1804 auf mehr als 30 Juden.

Unter den Juden, die 1804 nach Rehna zogen, befanden sich acht Hausierer, zwei Händler mit einem Laden, ein Uhrmacher und ein Rabbiner. Im Jahr 1813 beantragte Jakob Hirschmann den Bürgereid, um mehr Rechte zu erlangen, einschließlich der Erlaubnis für seinen Sohn, Jura zu studieren. Aber nur vier Jahre später wurden die Juden ihre Staatsbürgerschaft entzogen. Lewis Jacob, Rechtsanwalt, Mitglied des mecklenburgischen Parlaments im Jahr 1848 und Ehrenbürger von Schwerin, wurde 1809 in Rehna geboren. Er starb 1881 in Manchester, England.

Rehnas jüdische Bevölkerung erreichte 1818 mit 99 ihren Höhepunkt (5% der Gesamtbevölkerung). Die jüdische Gemeinde Rehna entwickelte sich im 19. Jahrhundert zu einer der größten Gemeinden Westmecklenburgs. Um 1830 wurde in der Krugstraße eine Synagoge gebaut. Die Gemeinde betrieb eine Schule und einen Friedhof am Langer Jammer (später umbenannt in Neuer Steinweg), die bereits 1799 geweiht worden waren. Am 9. November 1894 wurde Frau Itzig, die im Alter von 88 Jahren verstarb, dort beigesetzt. Auch die Juden von Grevesmuehlen und Gadebusch begruben ihre Toten in Rehna; beide Städte waren mit der jüdischen Gemeinde von Rehna verbunden. 1877 durften Grevesmühler Juden einen eigenen Friedhof am Vielbecker Weg errichten.

Aufgrund der Migration und der Alterung der jüdischen Bevölkerung konnte sich die jüdische Gemeinde in den 1880er Jahren den Unterhalt der Synagoge und die Bezahlung eines Lehrers nicht mehr leisten. Um 1880/1885 wurde das Gebäude an den Meistbietenden verkauft. Vor dem Verkauf war das Ritual auf dem Friedhof „begraben“ worden. 1883 wurde die Gemeinde aufgelöst. Nur zwei jüdische Familien blieben in Rehna.

Über das Schicksal der Rehna-Juden während der Nazizeit ist nicht viel bekannt. Der jüdische Friedhof, der einzige verbliebene Beweis für das jüdische Leben in der Stadt, wurde dem Erdboden gleich gemacht. Seine Grabsteine wurden als Treppen und Schwellen verwendet, insbesondere für die Vorderseite eines Restaurants auf dem Markt.

-------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.