Search
Print
Share
Your Selected Item:
Would you like to help us improving the content? Send us your suggestions

The Jewish Community of Casablanca

Casablanca

In Arabic: الدار البيضاء‎  / Dar El Beida

The largest city and harbor of Morocco.

Casablanca was known as Anfa during the Middle Ages. The city was destroyed by the Portuguese in 1468, and its Jewish community was dispersed. Moses and Dinar Anfaoui (i.e., "of Anfa") were among the signatories of the "Takkanot" of Fez in 1545. In 1750 the rabbi Elijah synagogue was built, but it was only in 1830 with the arrival of Jewish merchants, principally from Mogador, Rabat, and Tetuan, that the community really developed.

At the beginning of the 20th century there were 20,000 inhabitants, of whom 6,000 were Jews. There were then two synagogues, eight Talmud Torah schools, and four private schools. The first Alliance Israelite Universelle school, founded in 1897, was supported by the local notables. After the plunder in 1903 of Settat, an important center of the region, the community received 1,000 Jewish refugees. Later, Casablanca was itself devastated by tribes in rebellion, and a large number of its inhabitants were massacred in August 1907. Among the Jews, there were 30 dead, some gravely injured, and 250 women and children abducted.

By 1912 Casablanca became the economic capital of Morocco and, thereby, an important center for the Jews of Morocco, as well as for their coreligionists all over north Africa and Europe. The Casablanca community distinguished itself in all spheres by the intensity of its activities.

Many of its members held high positions in commerce, industry, and the liberal professions. The upper class of Casablanca's Jewish community founded numerous philanthropic societies to care for the needs of their coreligionists who arrived in successive groups from the interior of the country. The new arrivals, who were often without any means of livelihood, gathered in the "Mellah" district of the ancient Medina and lived in great poverty.

The "community council" provided them with various kinds of support, the funds for which were collected from a tax on meat and from private donations. The schools of the Alliance also provided free education. During World War II the anti-Jewish policies of the Vichy government restricted the rights of the Jews, especially in Casablanca, and even deprived them of their livelihood until the landing of the allies in 1942. After the liberation of Morocco, many Jews from the interior, often only the men, were attracted to Casablanca by the city's prosperity. For more than 35 years the community was led by Yachia Zagury (d. 1944). Principal spiritual leaders of the community had included Chayyim Elmalech (d. 1857), David Ouaknin (d. 1873), Isaac Marrache (d. 1905), Moses Eliakim (d. 1939), and Chayyim Bensussan.

Between 1948 and 1968 tens of thousands of Moroccan Jews went to Casablanca, either to settle there or to await emigration. Numerically, the drop in population resulting from the emigration was offset by the constant influx of Jews from the provinces so that the population figures of the Jews in the town hardly changed until 1962.

In 1948 the number of Jews in Casablanca was estimated at about 70,000; while census reports indicated that 74,783 Jews in 1951 (34% of Moroccan Jewry) and 72,026 Jews in 1960 (54.1% of the total Jewish population of Morocco) lived in Casablanca. However, in 1964 the number of Jews in Casablanca was estimated at about 60,000 out of the 85,000 Jews in Morocco. There followed a large-scale exodus of Jews from the town; their numbers were not replenished by new arrivals. Out of a total of 50,000 Moroccan Jews there remained an estimated 37,000 in Casablanca in 1967 and no more than 17,000 out of a total population of 22,000 Jews the following year. Until Morocco gained its independence, Casablanca Jews did not enjoy equal rights, and in 1949 only 600 of the 70,000 Jews in Casablanca had the right to vote in municipal elections. From 1956, however, when all of Moroccan Jewry acquired equal rights, Jews in Casablanca voted and were elected in municipal elections. In 1964 three Jewish representatives sat on the Casablanca city council, and in 1959 Meyer Toledano was elected deputy mayor. From 1948 to 1968 there were several instances of attacks on Jews, particularly on the eve of Moroccan independence (1956) and to a lesser extent after the Six Day War of June 1967. The authorities did their utmost to protect the Jewish population.

As the largest Jewish community in north Africa, Casablanca had many communal institutions, including schools of Alliance Israelite Universelle, Otzar Ha-Torah (which had 2,079 pupils in 1961), Em Ha-Banim, and ORT. There was also a rabbinical seminary Magen David, founded in 1947. A total of 15,450 pupils attended Casablanca Jewish educational establishments in 1961 but most of these institutions closed after 1965. The community had many charitable organizations, administered by the community committee. Until 1957 the Jewish agency maintained offices in the town, as did the Jewish national fund, the American Jewish Joint Distribution committee and WIZO, but all these were closed after Morocco became independent.

In 1997 there were 6,000 Jews living in Morocco, 5,000 of them in Casablanca.

There are synagogues, "mikvaot", old age homes and kocher restaurants in Casablanca. The Chabad, ORT, Alliance and Otzar Ha-Torah schools have remained active. The Chabad movement is active there. Religious education is given in the Lycee Yeshiva, "kollel" of Casablanca. Since 1963 there have been Jewish newspapers.

Place Type:
City
ID Number:
241952
Written by researchers of ANU Museum of the Jewish People
Nearby places:

Related items:

Leo Levi (1912-1982) Musicologist.

Born in Casale Monferrato, Italy, he settled in Eretz Israel in 1936. His studies focus on ethnomusicology and liturgical music, especially the traditions of the Italian and Mediterranean Jewish communities. His research bears the last witness of these traditions since it was carried out after the communities had ceased to exist. Died in Jerusalem, Israel.

David Bouzaglo Liturgist, "Paytan"
Born in Casablanca, Morocco, he came to Israel in 1965. He had an outstanding memory and memorized prayers, almost all the Bible and many chapters from the Mishnah, Talmud and Zohar. This talent helped him when, in 1949, he became blind. He was a well-known poet and an authority on classical Andalusian music. His authority on music was accepted even beyond the Jewish community and famous Moroccan musicians often consulted him. He composed many poems in Hebrew and Arabic, which were preserved in manuscripts. Some of them were published in 1980. He died in Israel.

Gabi Oren Oknine (b. 1940) Industrialist.

Born in Casablanca, Morocco, he came to Israel in 1948 with his family. His father, a shoemaker, settled in Jaffa and opened a small workshop and shop. Young Oknine completed his army service and joined the family business. Together with his brothers Danny, Michael and Motti he turned the small workshop into a large modern factory under the name "Gali", which has been for many years a leading Israeli brand.

Bouzaglo, David (1903-1975), chazan, born in Casablanca, Morocco, he came to Israel in 1965. He had an outstanding memory and memorized prayers, almost all the Bible and many chapters from the Mishnah, Talmud and Zohar. This talent helped him when, in 1949, he became blind. He was a well-known poet and an authority on classical Andalusian music. His authority on music was accepted even beyond the Jewish community and he was often consulted by famous Moroccan musicians. He composed many poems in Hebrew and Arabic which were preserved in manuscripts. Some of them were published in 1980. He died in Israel.

Yosef Asulin was born in Casablanca, Morocco. In this interview he recalls his family history, originally from small villages and towns in the Atlas Mountains, his life in Casablanca and Tangier before his immigration to Israel in 1962, and then his life in Israel. 

The Oster Visual Documentation Center, ANU - Museum of the Jewish People. The film was produced as part of the Seeing the Voices project, 2019

Interior View of the Great Synagogue,
Casablanca, Morocco, 1976
Photo: Donna Wosk, USA
(The Oster Visual Documentation Center, Beit Hatfutsot,
courtesy of Donna Wosk, USA)

Chalom Messas (1909-2003), rabbi and scholar, born in Meknes, Morroco, and regarded as one of the major rabbinical halachic scholars of the Moroccan Jewish community during the 20th century. He was active in Morocco and Israel. From an early age he devoted himself to Talmud and halachic study in the yeshiva founded by Rabbi Yitzhak Asbag in Casabanca, Morroco. In 1931, he was appointed headmaster of its Talmud Torah, which had 36 classes. During this period he compiled two books: "Mizrah Shemesh", containing new explanations relating to the "Shulhan Arukh Yoreh Dei'ah" (Code of Jewish Law) and "Beit Shemesh", containing new explanations relating to the Talmud and the works of Maimonides. In 1938 Rabbi Messas established a company named Dovev Siftei Yeshenim, in order to publish manuscripts of early Moroccan sages. In 1944 he founded the Keter Torah Yeshiva for higher Torah studies and in 1949 was appointed a dayan (religious judge) in Casablanca. He became Chief Rabbi of Casablanca and head of its Jewish religious court in 1960.

In 1976 Rabbi Messas accepted an invitation from Israel's Chief Rabbis Ovadia Yosef and Shlomo Goren to serve as chief rabbi of Jerusalem. Rabbi Messas maintained close ties with King Hassan II of Morroco, continuing to bless him and his kingdom even after he settled in Jerusalem.

He was accorded recognition and esteem from all sectors of Israeli society – Haredi, national religious, traditional and secular. As was his custom in Casablanca, his home in Jerusalem was open to the public at large until late at night. He continued to publish manuscripts by the sages of Morocco; his own halachic opinions, in "Tvu'ot Shemesh", "Shemesh U'Magen"; and his sermons "Ve-Ham Hashemesh".

Molli Chwat (1888-1979), painter, born in Bialystok, Poland (then part of the Russian Empire), into a family of bankers. He started his studies in Bialystok and then attended the Academy of Arts in St. Petersburg, Russia. He continued his studies in Paris in 1906. He was in Geneva, Switzerland, in 1909, before returning to Russia. He spent the years 1910-1918 in Russia, leaving that country before the Bolshevik Revolution, and settling in Paris, where he continued his studies at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts. During WW2, Chwat was a refugee in Casablanca, Morocco. He returned to Paris after the war. Chwat visited Israel in 1957. He exhibited, among others at the Salon d'Automne in during 1952-1968, and at the Salon des Beaux Arts in 1956. His solo exhibitions were held, inter alia, in Paris at Zak Galerie in 1951-1952, and at Galerie Montmorency in 1958, as well, as in Brussels, Belgium, in 1953, Nancy, France, in 1954, and Saarbrücken, Germany, in 1955. He painted mostly expressionist landscapes and portraits, and, after 1945, also biblical scenes. Chwat died in France.

Hero Lupescu (1927-2007), opera director, born in Roman, Romania. His father, Avram Wolfsohn, was the cantor of the Great Synagogue of Bucharest. He studied at the Anatoli Lunacearski Institute of Dramatic Art in Moscow from 1951 to 1954. Lupescu made his debut as opera director with a performance of Eugene Onegin by Tchaikovsky at the Opera House of Timisoara in 1954. After 1955 he worked for thirty-five years at the Romanian Opera in Bucharest directing over thirty operas. He directed large outdoor performances, either in Romania, on festive occasions or in other countries at the opening of major international sport competitions, particularly in Morocco, where he directed the opening show of the Mediterranean Games at Casablanca in 1983, the Pan-African Games in Rabat in 1985, and a festive show in honor of King Hassan II of Morocco in 1989. He was awarded the Olympic Prize Silver Necklace for his contribution of art in sports performances in 1984. 

Graciane Finzi (b. 1945), composer, born in Casablanca, Morocco, into a family of musicians. She studied at the Conservatory of Casablanca, where her parents were teachers, and then at Conservatoire national supérieur de musique et de danse de Paris (CNSMD), where she studied piano. She served as director of the Festival de la Défense from 1975 to 1979 and as a teacher at Conservatory of Paris after 1979. From 1977 to 2000, she acted asofficial representative to AFAA (Association Française d’Action Artistique) andvice-president of SIMC (International Society for Contemporary Music) and of Société Nationale. Prior to that, she was a member of the SACEM Symphonic Commission. From 2001 to 2003, she was a composer in residence with Lille National Orchestra.

Finzi composed over 100 works, including music for theater, voice, solo instruments, chamber ensemble and orchestra, and opera, blending different genres and folk styles. She was awarded the SACEM (Société des auteurs, compositeurs et éditeurs de musique) prize twice, the George Enescu prize, and the SACD (Société des Auteurs et Compositeurs Dramatiques) prize. Her compositions include Il était tant de fois (1979), Pauvre assassin (1990), Le Dernier jour de Socrate (with Jean-Claude Carrière, 1997), Osmose for viola and guitar (2001), Là-bas, peut-être (2003), Impression Tango for violin (or viola, or cello) and accordion (or piano) (2005), Concerto for amplified harpsichord and orchestra with cymbalum (2007), Kaddish (2009), and Concerto for viola and orchestra.