Search
Print
Share
Your Selected Item:
Would you like to help us improving the content? Send us your suggestions

The Jewish Community of Yaseny

יאסני

Yaseny  / Ясени וגם Kabeshti

ברומנית: Căbești, / קאבשט; בגרמנית: Kabestie

כפר במחוז צ'רניבץ (צ'רנוביץ) בחבל בוקובינה, אוקראינה. עד 1918 הכפר היה חלק מאוסטריה-הונגריה, בין 1918 ל-1940 היה במחוז סטורוז'ינץ לשעבר, רומניה.

יהודי הכפר, כולם חסידים, היו מסונפים לקהילת סטאנשט (Stanesti) ונציגיהם השתתפו בהנהלת הקהילה שהחזיקה בית ספר בכפר. 

במפקד האוכלוסין של שנת 1930 נרשמו בכפר 120 יהודים אשר הייו 13.3% מהאוכלוסיה.

 

תקופת השואה

העליה לשלטון של ממשלת גוגה-קוזה בדצמבר 1937 הובילה לחקיקה ויישום של מדיניות אנטישמית רשמית ברומניה.

בעקבות הסכם ריבנטרופ-מולוטוב מאוגוסט 1939 בין גרמניה הנאצית לברה"מ, אזור צפון בוקובינה שכלל גם את הכפר קאבשט סופח לברה"מ ב-28 ביוני 1940. לאחר סיפוח לברה"ב, הולאמו כל העסקים, ובכל זה גם העסקים בבעלות יהודים. ביוני 1941 רומניה הצטרפה אל המלחמה נגד ברה"מ. 1941. אחרי נטישת הכפר על ידי השלטונות הסובייטים, תושבי הכפר, רובם אוקראינים, מעודדים על ידי הידיעה שדם היהודים הפקר, ב-5 ביולי 1941 התנפלו על שכניהם היהודים ורצחו בין 70 ל-80 אנשים. השורדים גורשו לטרנסניסטריה בסתיו של אותה שנה.

Place Type:
Village
ID Number:
20673601
Written by researchers of ANU Museum of the Jewish People
Nearby places:

Related items:

Storojinet


Russian/Ukrainian: Сторожинець,  Storozhinets,  Storozhynets’ 

Yiddish: סטראָזשניץ  Strozhnitz.Alternate names and spellings: Storozynetz, Strizinitz, Strozynetz, Sorojinet, Shtrozshnitz, Stordjinet, Storozyniec Storožynec, Storozynetz, Storojineti

A town in Chernovtsy Oblast, Ukraine. Until World War I within the Austrian Empire, and between the two World Wars in Bukovina, Romania. After World War II within the Soviet Union until 1991 when Ukraine became an independent country.
 

HISTORY

Jews first settled in Storojinet at the close of the 18th century, but severe restrictions imposed by the Austrian authorities hindered the expansion of the Jewish settlement. The number of Jews nevertheless increased, mainly as a result of immigration from Galicia and Russia.

 In 1865, a Jew of Galician origin, Salomon Anhauch, whose father Markus  had settled in the town in 1828, received a royal authorization, the first of this kind to be granted in the town, to acquire real estate and trade without restriction.

The Chasidim made up the majority of the community and belonged for the most part to the sects of Vizhnitsa and Sadgora. The community had chadarim and yeshivot, but there were also Jewish children who attended the governmental public schools, while receiving extra religious instruction.  In 1871 there were 34 Jewish boys and 17 girls attending public school, in 1875, 63 boys and 39 girls, and in 1880, 64 boys and 91 girls.

According to an 1880 census, the number of  Jews in  Storojinet  was 1,601 (32.9% of the total population). By 1910 the number had risen to 4,832 (48.3% of the total population)

The local Jews engaged mainly in commerce and industry connected with the products of the forest in the vicinity, such as timber processing. They were also  represented  in crafts and the liberal professions. At the beginning of the 20th century, 99% of the tailors, shoemakers, and carpenters of the town were Jews. Three tanneries were also owned by local Jews.

As the Jews became more established, communal institutions were organized.  After 1890, the community was reorganized in accordance with the Austrian law that gave Jewish communities cultural autonomy. The community supported a rabbi and a dayan.  A large main synagogue was erected at the beginning of the 20th century, funded by voluntary donations. Services were conducted there on the Sabbath and High Holidays. There were also  many Chasidic and other small houses of prayer where services were conducted daily. 

In 1909 the community established a private  coeducational Jewish secondary school. In its first years, because of the emphasis in its syllabus on the Hebrew Bible and language, it attracted many students from Romania and Galicia.   The institution functioned, with interruptions, until 1938.

 During World War I, many Jews left Storojinit to escape the fighting in the area, and  much of the property they left behind was looted by the Russian troops, aided by the local population. The synagogue was turned into a stable, and prayer houses into warehouses and depots for the Russian armies. The cemetery became a field for pasturing cattle and its fence was used for fuel.

 After April 1918 Jews began to return to Storojinet, started to rebuild, and repaired the synagogue and cemetery.

 Between the two World Wars, under Romania, Jewish community life remained active. Zionist organizations continued to function and were not forbidden by the authorities.  However, the new regime was antisemitic and oppressive.  While before World War I, the elected mayor had been Jewish, as had been the majority of the members of the Community Council, now they were replaced by Romanians.  Boycotts were organized against Jewish businesses, severely impacting on their economic viability.

THE HOLOCAUST

 In 1940, Storojinet was occupied by the Soviet army. Many Jews lost their property as a result of nationalization, and relations between the local Jewish communists and the other members of the community became strained. Jewish organizations ceased functioning and  many Jews were deported to Siberia  in the first half of June 1941.

On June 22, 1941 Nazi Germany attacked Soviet Russia, and in July 1941  Storojinit fell to the Romanian armies then collaborating with the Germans. During that year, the Jews remaining in the area were deported to the death camps in Transnistria.

POSTWAR

After World War II, with the defeat of the Axis and the reestablishment of control over the area by the Soviet regime, approximately 10 families of Jewish survivors returned to  Storojinit but most left subsequently, emigrating to Israel. 

Chernivtsi

In Ukrainian: Чернівці / Chernivtsi; in Russian: Chernovtsy; In Romanian: Cernauti, In German and in Jewish sources: Czernowitz צ'רנוביץ
A city in Ukraine. Between the two World Wars in Romania.

Chernovtsy, then Cernauti, was the capital of Bukovina. The area was under Austrian rule in the years 1775-1918.

Both Ashkenazi and Sephardi Jews are mentioned in Chernovtsy from 1408. Later the Chernovtsy community assumed a distinctly Ashkenazi character, with Yiddish as the spoken language. The second half of the 17th century brought Jewish immigrants and culture from Poland. The Russian-Turkish wars (1766-74) caused severe hardship and the Jews had to leave Chernovtsy for a time. After the area came under Austrian rule in 1775 the Austrian military regime immediately began a policy of discrimination with the avowed aim of "clearing" Bukovina of Jews.

Nevertheless, a number of Jews from Galicia immigrated to Bukovina in this period, and many settled in Chernovtsy. Despite the restrictions still in force the Jews there acquired real property and engaged in large-scale commercial transactions. In 1812, during the Napoleonic wars, Jewish goods and property were plundered by the Russian army.

Tension arose within the community between the Chasidim and Maskilim at the beginning of the 19th century, and later intensified. Cultural life developed after 1848, along with trends toward assimilation and the penetration of Haskalah attitudes to wider circles. The foundation of a university there in 1875 attracted Jewish students throughout Bukovina and had a stimulating and diversifying influence on the social and cultural life of the community.

From the end of the 19th century student organizations played an important part in the Zionist movement in Chernovtsy.

In 1872 the community split into independent orthodox and reform sections. A reform temple opened in 1877 was destroyed by the Nazis in 1944. Zionism made headway in the city despite opposition from the assimilationist and orthodox elements. Jews also took an active part in public affairs. As early as 1897 one of the Jewish leaders, Benno Straucher, was returned to the Austrian parliament as representative for Czernowitz (1897-1914).

During World War I, when the city passed from hand to hand between the Russians and the Austrians, the community suffered great hardship, and many left the city. After the collapse of the Austro-Hungarian monarchy in 1918 the soldiers of the Romanian army who entered Chernovtsy behaved brutally toward the Jews and started a wave of persecution. After incorporation of the city into Romania and with the institution of the civil government, the situation of the Jews improved. One of the prominent personalities of Chernovtsy Jewry in general was the Zionist leader Meir Ebner, editor of a German-language newspaper there. Other outstanding personalities who represented the Jews in the Romanian parliament were the historian Manfred Reifer, and the socialist leader Jacob Pistiner. The community numbered 43,701 in 1919 (47.4% of the total population). Hebrew works were printed in Chernovtsy for over a century, from 1835 to 1939, and nearly 340 items were issued by nine publishers and printers. Of these the most important was the house of Eckhardt where, with the help of Jewish experts, there were printed a complete Babylonian Talmud, a bible with standard commentaries, the Mishnah with commentaries, and other important rabbinic Kabbalistic-Chasidic works.

The Holocaust Period
In 1941 the Jewish population numbered 50,000, due to the influx of Jews from the smaller towns and villages in Bukovina.

On the night of June 30, 1941, the Soviet army vacated Chernovtsy and gangs broke into Jewish homes, looting and burning them. On July 5, the first units of the German and Romanian armies entered the town, accompanied by Einsatzkommando 10B, which was a section of Einsatzgruppe D. This unit fulfilled its task of inciting the Romanians against the Jews; on the pretext that the Jews were plotting against the government, they murdered the Jewish Intelligentsia, among them the chief rabbi of Bukovina, Abraham Mark, the chief cantor, and leaders of the community.

On July 30, when the anti-Jewish measures introduced by Antonescu's government went into effect, hostages were taken and Jews were compelled to do forced labor and to wear the yellow badge. The authorities permitted Jews to be seen on hunted down in the streets and houses. On October 11 the Jews were concentrated in a ghetto, their property was confiscated, and deportations to Transnistria began. On October 14, 1941, the chairman of the union of Jewish communities, Wilhelm Filderman, obtained a cessation of deportations, but the decision was carried out only a month later, and by November 15, 1941, about 30,000 Jews had been deported. The mayor of Chernovtsy, Traian Popovici, also attempted to stop deportations, issuing about 4,000 certificates of exemption from deportation, but the officials of the municipality, the police and the gendarmerie extorted enormous sums of money in return for these exemptions. Many Jews were deported even after they paid the ransom. After a short break, deportations were resumed and about 4,000 Jews were deported in three waves between June 17 and 27, 1942. Some of the deportees were taken to camps east of the Bug river (an area occupied by the Germans) where children up to the age of 15, old people, invalids, women, and those unfit for work were systematically murdered. About 60% of the deportees from Chernovtsy to Transnistria perished there. Most survivors who returned did not resettle in Chernovtsy, which had in the meantime been annexed to the Ukrainian republic in the Soviet Union, but went to Romania and from there to Eretz Israel.

In the 1950's the government closed five of the six synagogues and all of the Torah scrolls were placed in a museum. One of the synagogues was made into a sports center and another into a movie theater. The other synagogues became workshops and warehouses. One small synagogue still remains for 50-60 worshippers. In 1970, the Jewish population in Chernovtsy numbered 70,000.

ברהומט

Berehomet, Berhomet

באוקראינית: Берегомет / ברהומט; ברומנית: ברהומט פה סירט /  Berhomet pe Siret; בגרמנית: Berhometh/S, Berhomet am Sereth 

עיירה בפת וישניציה במחוז צ'רנובצי (צ'רנוביץ) בחבל בוקובינה, אוקראינה. עד סוף מלחמת העולם הראשונה הייתה חלק מאוסטריה-הונגריה ובין שתי מלחמות העולם נכללה בגבולות רומניה במחוז סטורוז'ינץ לשעבר.

ככל הנראה יהודים היגיעו לברהומט כבר במאה ה-17. הנוכחות היהודית במקום מתועדת בחוזה משנת 1804 בין קבוצת יהודים לבעל אחוזה המתיר ליהודים לכרות ולמכור עצים מיערות האחוזה. על פי עדות זאת, היהודים שימשו כפקידים במפעל שווק עצים של בעל האחוזה.

הפעילות הכלכלית היהודית תרמה להתפתחות הכפר אשר במהלך המאה ה-19 הפך לגדול בין כפרי בוקובינה.

על שטח שנתרם על-ידי בעל האחוזה נפתח בית קברות יהודי ב-1869. עד לאותו תאריך קברו את מתיהם בויז'ניץ. היחסים עם האוכלוסיה המקומית, רובה ממוצא אוקראיני, היו נוחים, עד להתגברות התעמולה האנטישמית באמצע שנות ה-1930.

יהודי ברהומט היו מסופחים לקהילת ויז'ניץ אשר סיפקה את השירותים הדתיים-קהילתיים עד 1925, אז הוקמה קהילה עצמאית. בכפר פעלו שני בתי כנסת, שני מקוואות, שלושה "חדרים" ושני תלמודי תורה. שתי קופות לגמילות חסדים עסקו בעניני צדקה. רוב יהודי ברהומט השתייכו לחסידי ויז'ניץ. הרב הראשון בכפר, ר' מנחם אלטר דאכנר, היה משושלת ויז'ניץ וכיהן 47 שנים, מ- 1878 עד 1925. בנו ויורשו, ר' פנחס יוסף נספה בשואה.

בברהומט היתה פעילות ציונית של מפלגת "מזרחי" ושל תנועות הנוער "בני עקיבע" ו"הנוער הציוני". שנה אחת, 1919-1920, פעל במקום בית ספר עברי.

רוב יהודי ברהומט היו סוחרים או בעלי מלאכה. חלקם היו סוחרי עצים ובעלי יערות.

במפקד האוכלוסין של שנת 1930 נרשמו במקום 979 יהודים אשר היוו 13% מכלל התושבים.

 

תקופת השואה

העליה לשלטון של ממשלת גוגה-קוזה בדצמבר 1937 הובילה לחקיקה ויישום של מדיניות אנטישמית רשמית ברומניה.

בעקבות הסכם ריבנטרופ-מולוטוב מאוגוסט 1939 בין גרמניה הנאצית לברה"מ, אזור צפון בוקובינה שכלל גם את העיירה סופח לברה"מ ב-28 ביוני 1940. לאחר סיפוח לברה"מ, הולאמו כל העסקים, ובכל זה גם העסקים בבעלות יהודים. מצבם הכלכלי הדרדר. בעלי רכוש הואשמו בהשתייכות למעמד הבורנים, סומנו כ"אויבי העם" וחלקם הוגלו ביחד עם בני משפחותיהם לסיביר.

כעבור שנה, רומניה הצטרפה אל המלחמה נגד ברית המועצות ביוני 1941. רוב יהודי ברהומט, שכבר שמעו על הפרעות שהתרחשו במקומות אחרים בזמן נסיגת הצבא הסובייטי וכניסת הכוחות הרומנים והגרממנים, נטשו את הכפר והסתתרו ביערות. המעטים שנשארו במקום עונו על ידי התושבים המקומיים.

מהבורחים שחזרו למחרת, נשדד רכושם והועברו במסע רגלי בליווי ז'נדרמים רומנים לעיר סטורוז'ינץ, מרחק 35 ק"מ משם, חלקם לואשקאוץ וחלקם לויז'ניץ. יהודי המקום איכסנו אותם בבתיהם, והגברים נלקחו לעבודת כפייה. באוגוסט 1941 גורשו שוב בצעדת מוות לטרנסניסטריה ואחרי חדשיים וחצי של נדודי דרך הגיעו בסתיו למחנה הריכוז במוגילב בטרנסניסטריה. רק מעטים נותרו בחיים.

לקראת סוף המלחמה מספר מהניצולים חזרו לברהומט. "כנופיות באנדרה" - ארגון ימני קיצוני בהננגתו של סטפן באנדרה (1909 – 1959), מנהיג לאומני אוקראיני שלחם ברוסים נגד הרוסים  - רצחו חמישה ניצולים יהודים שחזרו לברהומט ושרפו את כל בתי היהודים ואת שני בתי הכנסת. שלוש משפחות ששרדו את הפוגרום עזבו את ברהומט ועברו לעיר צ'רנוביץ.

Ukraine

Україна / Ukrayina

A country in eastern Europe, until 1991 part of the Soviet Union.

21st Century

Estimated Jewish population in 2018: 50,000 out of 42,000,000 (0.1%). Main Jewish organizations:

Єврейська Конфедерація України - Jewish Confederation of Ukraine
Phone: 044 584 49 53
Email: jcu.org.ua@gmail.com
Website: http://jcu.org.ua/en

Ваад (Ассоциация еврейских организаций и общин) Украины (VAAD – Asssociation of Jewish Organizations & Communities of Ukraine)
Voloska St, 8/5
Kyiv, Kyivs’ka
Ukraine 04070
Phone/Fax: 38 (044) 248-36-70, 38 (044) 425-97-57/-58/-59/-60
Email: vaadua.office@gmail.com
Website: http://www.vaadua.org/

חליניצה

Глиниця / Hlynytsya

ברומנית: Hlinița / חליניצה; בגרמנית: Hlinitza

כפר בנפת קוזמן (Cozmeni ) במחוז צ'רניבץ (צ'רנוביץ) בחבל בוקובינה, אוקראינה. עד 1918 האזור היה חלק מאוסטריה-הונגריה, בין שתי מלחמות העולם הכפר נכלל במחוז סטורוז'ינץ ברומניה.

בראשית המאה ה-19 התיישבו במקום שלוש משפחות של חקלאים יהודים ומספרם עלה לקראת סוף המאה.

היהודים התפרנסו לרוב מסחר בהמות, ואלדים היו בעלי חנויות, פונדקאים ובעלי מלאכה. רופא יהודי שירת את כל הכפר. יחסיהם עם הרוב האוקראיני היו טובים ובמועצת הכפר כיהנו שלושה חברים יהודים.

בכפר פעלו שני בתי כנסת, הגדול ביניהם נבנה ב-1923, שני מקווי טהרה, שני "חדרים" ובית עלמין. בחליניצה לא הייתה קהילה יהודית מאורגנת ויהודי המקום השתייכו לקהילה היהודית של סטאנשט (Stanesti) אשר סיפקה להם השירותים הדתיים-קהילתיים. בכפר התקיימה פעילות של מספר המפלגות, ביניהן סניפים של התנועות הציוניות "מזרחי", "ציונים כלליים" ותנועות הנוער של "בני עקיבא" ו"בית"ר". על אדמת  בעל אחוזה נוצרי הוקמה חוות הכשרה חלוצית.

במפקד האוכלוסין של שנת 1930 נרשמו בכפר 140 יהודים אשר היוו 6.3%  מכלל התושבים.

 

תקופת השואה

העליה לשלטון של ממשלת גוגה-קוזה בדצמבר 1937 הובילה לחקיקה ויישום של מדיניות אנטישמית רשמית ברומניה.

בעקבות הסכם ריבנטרופ-מולוטוב מאוגוסט  1939 בין גרמניה הנאצית לברה"מ, אזור צפון בוקובינה שכלל גם את גורה-פוטילי סופח לברה"מ ב-28 ביוני 1940. לאחר כניסת השלטון הסובייט לכפר, עשר משפחות יהודיות גורשו לסיביר.

ביוני 1941 רומניה הצטרפה למלחמה נגד ברה"מ. הכפר נכבש ע"י הצבא הרומני וכ-50 יהודים נרצחו בידיהם, בשעה שיהודים אחרים הוסתרו בעזרת אוקראינים מקומיים ונשארו בחיים.

עם תחילת הגירושים לטרנסניסטריה באוקטובר 1941 הוסגרו גם יהודים אלה על ידי מציליהם. 15 ספרי  התורה שנשדדו מבתי הכנסת שימשו למקומיים לעשיית נעליים.

אחרי המלחמה חזרו 15 משפחות וכולן היגרו לישראל.