Search
Print
Share
Your Selected Item:
Would you like to help us improving the content? Send us your suggestions

The Jewish Community of Neustadtgodens

Neustadtgodens

Neustadtgödens

A village (today part of the town of Sande) in the district of East Frisia, in lower Saxony, Germany.

The first letter of safe conduct was issued to four Jewish families in 1660. Their number increased steadily and in 1708 there were fourteen families living in the village. A synagogue and a school are first mentioned in the middle of the eighteenth century.

In 1836 the number of Jewish inhabitants reached 115 (7% of the total population), a development which reached its peak in 1848 when 197 Jews were living in Neustadtgodens. After that the number of Jews began to decrease. In 1922 the communal school had to be closed because there were not sufficient pupils among the remaining 22 families.

In 1852 a new synagogue and school were built.

When the Jews were attacked by their neighbors on a market day in 1782, soldiers from Emden were summoned for their protection. After the Jews had been granted civil and political rights in 1808, they played an active part in communal affairs. In 1893 four of the eleven members of the town council were Jewish.

The majority of the Jews of Neustadtgodens were merchants and butchers. The industrial revolution had a negative influence on rural trade and caused many Jews to move to bigger towns.

In 1933 the Jewish community of Neustadtgodens numbered 12 persons (1.8 % of the total population).


The Holocaust

Seven of the twelve Jews emigrated to the Netherlands, the remaining five were deported to the Nazi concentration and death camps. One of them returned after 1945 and died in 1974 as the last Jew of Neustadtgodens

Place Type:
Village
ID Number:
167863
Written by researchers of ANU Museum of the Jewish People
Nearby places:

Related items:

Wilhelmshaven

A city in Lower Saxony in Germany.

First Jewish presence: in or around the year 1870; peak Jewish population: 200 in the 1920s (see below); Jewish population in 1933: 191

Jews moved to Wilhelmshaven, a new seaport and naval base, in or around the year 1870. By 1901, they were registered as an official Jewish community together with the Jews of neighboring Ruestringen. The community’s members included numerous merchants and butchers, three farmers, a theater director, a well-known writer and a high-ranking soldier. Burials were conducted in Jever until 1908, when the community consecrated its own cemetery in Schortens-Heidmuehle. In 1915, local Jews replaced their prayer room with a synagogue on the corner of Boersenstrasse and Parkstrasse; the building also housed a mikveh and a school, whose teacher not only performed the duties of shochet and chazzan, but also served as chaplain to Jewish sailors. The Jews of Wilhelmshaven and Ruestringen maintained a chevra kadisha, a Jewish women’s association and, later, a literary circle and a youth movement.

In 1933, 191 Jews still lived in town, of whom 100 left during the years 1933 to 1938. On Pogrom Night (November 9, 1938), Jewish shops and homes were vandalized. Jews were taken from their houses and publicly humiliated as onlookers threw stones at them. Thirty-four Jewish men were deported to the Sachsenhausen Nazi concentration camp. Members of various Nazi organizations set fire to the synagogue; the building burned down completely, after which the surrounding walls were blown up and the ritual objects were put on display in the street. A further 45 Jews were able to leave town before 1939. Wilhelmshaven’s remaining Jews were subsequently deported and murdered. At least 68 local Jews died in the Shoah. The former synagogue site became a memorial in the 1970s; in 1980, a plaque was unveiled there.

------------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

Varel

A town in the district of Friesland, in Lower Saxony, Germany. 

First Jewish presence: 1683; peak Jewish population: 90 in 1875; Jewish population in 1933: 39

The Jews of Varel initially conducted services in a rented prayer room, first documented in 1717. The community unsuccessfully petitioned the authorities for a synagogue in 1760, and it was not until 1806, when a local Jew, Abraham Schwabe, provided the community with a building, that a synagogue was established in Varel. This synagogue had been abandoned by 1843, as the structure had fallen into disrepair. Later, on July 28, 1848, the community inaugurated a synagogue on Osterstrasse; the building, which had been acquired in 1840, housed an elementary school, an apartment for the teacher and a mikveh. Records also mention that in 1900, the community opened a hostel for indigent Jews. Varel’s Jewish cemetery was consecrated in 1711.

Seventeen Jews lived in Varel on Pogrom Night (November 9, 1938), when SA troops set the synagogue on fire and plundered the remaining Jewish homes. Jewish men and several women were imprisoned in police headquarters, from where they were sent to Oldenburg and, later, to Sachsenhausen Nazi concentration camp, where one man was so badly beaten that he died of his wounds. Those who survived the ordeal were eventually released, after which eight more Varel Jews emigrated from Germany. Varel’s last Jewish family left town in 1940. On July 23, 1941, after the remaining Jewish residents of the old-age home were deported to Theresienstadt Nazi concentration camp, the town was declared Judenfrei (“free of Jews”). Approximately 43 local Jews perished in the Shoah. The site of the Jewish cemetery was taken over by the Nazis, who used some of the gravestones for construction; several gravestones were retrieved after the war. The synagogue site was acquired by a local resident in May 1939. In 1990, a memorial plaque was unveiled at the public school opposite the plot where the synagogue once stood.

----------------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

Wittmund

A town and capital of the district of Wittmund, in Lower Saxony, Germany.

Jewish presence in Wittmund is first mentioned in 1679 in connection with ben Isaac Bblitz, a Bible translator of the town, who printed a bible in Amsterdam. A Jewish school was mentioned in 1750 and in 1816 a synagogue was built. After the revolution of 1848, Jews took an active part in the communal life and became part of the “burgerwehr” (local civil guard) in 1852. In 1872 seventeen Jewish families were living in Wittmund. In 1911 the communal house for the poor was demolished and a new school was built in its place. The community had a circle for women and a “gemiluth hassadim” (charity society).

Some of the Jews living in Wittmund traded in textiles and had their own shops. In 1905 Moritz Neumark of Wittmund founded the furnace (“hochofenwerk”) in Luebeck and became its first manager.

In 1933 the Jewish community numbered 50 people.


The Holocaust

After the Pogrom Night (Nov. 9, 1938), the Jewish community was forced to sell its synagogue which was later demolished. Twenty of the members succeeded in emigrating to the united states. Many of those who remained in Wittmund were deported to Nazi death camps and died in Auschwitz and Sobibor. The Jewish community of Wittmund ceased to exist in 1940.

our Open Databases
Jewish Genealogy
Family Names
Jewish Communities
Visual Documentation
Jewish Music Center
Place
אA
אA
אA
Would you like to help us improving the content? Send us your suggestions
The Jewish Community of Neustadtgodens

Neustadtgodens

Neustadtgödens

A village (today part of the town of Sande) in the district of East Frisia, in lower Saxony, Germany.

The first letter of safe conduct was issued to four Jewish families in 1660. Their number increased steadily and in 1708 there were fourteen families living in the village. A synagogue and a school are first mentioned in the middle of the eighteenth century.

In 1836 the number of Jewish inhabitants reached 115 (7% of the total population), a development which reached its peak in 1848 when 197 Jews were living in Neustadtgodens. After that the number of Jews began to decrease. In 1922 the communal school had to be closed because there were not sufficient pupils among the remaining 22 families.

In 1852 a new synagogue and school were built.

When the Jews were attacked by their neighbors on a market day in 1782, soldiers from Emden were summoned for their protection. After the Jews had been granted civil and political rights in 1808, they played an active part in communal affairs. In 1893 four of the eleven members of the town council were Jewish.

The majority of the Jews of Neustadtgodens were merchants and butchers. The industrial revolution had a negative influence on rural trade and caused many Jews to move to bigger towns.

In 1933 the Jewish community of Neustadtgodens numbered 12 persons (1.8 % of the total population).


The Holocaust

Seven of the twelve Jews emigrated to the Netherlands, the remaining five were deported to the Nazi concentration and death camps. One of them returned after 1945 and died in 1974 as the last Jew of Neustadtgodens

Written by researchers of ANU Museum of the Jewish People

Wittmund
Varel
Wilhelmshaven
Lower Saxony - Niedersachsen

Wittmund

A town and capital of the district of Wittmund, in Lower Saxony, Germany.

Jewish presence in Wittmund is first mentioned in 1679 in connection with ben Isaac Bblitz, a Bible translator of the town, who printed a bible in Amsterdam. A Jewish school was mentioned in 1750 and in 1816 a synagogue was built. After the revolution of 1848, Jews took an active part in the communal life and became part of the “burgerwehr” (local civil guard) in 1852. In 1872 seventeen Jewish families were living in Wittmund. In 1911 the communal house for the poor was demolished and a new school was built in its place. The community had a circle for women and a “gemiluth hassadim” (charity society).

Some of the Jews living in Wittmund traded in textiles and had their own shops. In 1905 Moritz Neumark of Wittmund founded the furnace (“hochofenwerk”) in Luebeck and became its first manager.

In 1933 the Jewish community numbered 50 people.


The Holocaust

After the Pogrom Night (Nov. 9, 1938), the Jewish community was forced to sell its synagogue which was later demolished. Twenty of the members succeeded in emigrating to the united states. Many of those who remained in Wittmund were deported to Nazi death camps and died in Auschwitz and Sobibor. The Jewish community of Wittmund ceased to exist in 1940.

Varel

A town in the district of Friesland, in Lower Saxony, Germany. 

First Jewish presence: 1683; peak Jewish population: 90 in 1875; Jewish population in 1933: 39

The Jews of Varel initially conducted services in a rented prayer room, first documented in 1717. The community unsuccessfully petitioned the authorities for a synagogue in 1760, and it was not until 1806, when a local Jew, Abraham Schwabe, provided the community with a building, that a synagogue was established in Varel. This synagogue had been abandoned by 1843, as the structure had fallen into disrepair. Later, on July 28, 1848, the community inaugurated a synagogue on Osterstrasse; the building, which had been acquired in 1840, housed an elementary school, an apartment for the teacher and a mikveh. Records also mention that in 1900, the community opened a hostel for indigent Jews. Varel’s Jewish cemetery was consecrated in 1711.

Seventeen Jews lived in Varel on Pogrom Night (November 9, 1938), when SA troops set the synagogue on fire and plundered the remaining Jewish homes. Jewish men and several women were imprisoned in police headquarters, from where they were sent to Oldenburg and, later, to Sachsenhausen Nazi concentration camp, where one man was so badly beaten that he died of his wounds. Those who survived the ordeal were eventually released, after which eight more Varel Jews emigrated from Germany. Varel’s last Jewish family left town in 1940. On July 23, 1941, after the remaining Jewish residents of the old-age home were deported to Theresienstadt Nazi concentration camp, the town was declared Judenfrei (“free of Jews”). Approximately 43 local Jews perished in the Shoah. The site of the Jewish cemetery was taken over by the Nazis, who used some of the gravestones for construction; several gravestones were retrieved after the war. The synagogue site was acquired by a local resident in May 1939. In 1990, a memorial plaque was unveiled at the public school opposite the plot where the synagogue once stood.

----------------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.

Wilhelmshaven

A city in Lower Saxony in Germany.

First Jewish presence: in or around the year 1870; peak Jewish population: 200 in the 1920s (see below); Jewish population in 1933: 191

Jews moved to Wilhelmshaven, a new seaport and naval base, in or around the year 1870. By 1901, they were registered as an official Jewish community together with the Jews of neighboring Ruestringen. The community’s members included numerous merchants and butchers, three farmers, a theater director, a well-known writer and a high-ranking soldier. Burials were conducted in Jever until 1908, when the community consecrated its own cemetery in Schortens-Heidmuehle. In 1915, local Jews replaced their prayer room with a synagogue on the corner of Boersenstrasse and Parkstrasse; the building also housed a mikveh and a school, whose teacher not only performed the duties of shochet and chazzan, but also served as chaplain to Jewish sailors. The Jews of Wilhelmshaven and Ruestringen maintained a chevra kadisha, a Jewish women’s association and, later, a literary circle and a youth movement.

In 1933, 191 Jews still lived in town, of whom 100 left during the years 1933 to 1938. On Pogrom Night (November 9, 1938), Jewish shops and homes were vandalized. Jews were taken from their houses and publicly humiliated as onlookers threw stones at them. Thirty-four Jewish men were deported to the Sachsenhausen Nazi concentration camp. Members of various Nazi organizations set fire to the synagogue; the building burned down completely, after which the surrounding walls were blown up and the ritual objects were put on display in the street. A further 45 Jews were able to leave town before 1939. Wilhelmshaven’s remaining Jews were subsequently deported and murdered. At least 68 local Jews died in the Shoah. The former synagogue site became a memorial in the 1970s; in 1980, a plaque was unveiled there.

------------------------------------------

This entry was originally published on Beit Ashkenaz - Destroyed German Synagogues and Communities website and contributed to the Database of the Museum of the Jewish People courtesy of Beit Ashkenaz.