חיפוש
הדפסה
שיתוף
הפריט שבחרת:
מקום
רוצה לעזור לנו לשפר את התוכן? אפשר לשלוח הצעות

קהילת יהודי טוזלה

Tuzla

In Serbian: Тузла

A city and the administrative center of Tuzla Canton of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

The area was part of the Ottoman Empire until 1878, when it was annexed by Austria-Hungary. After WW I it was part of Yugoslavia, since 1995 in Bosnia and Hercegovina.

The Sephardic Jews were the first to settle in Tuzla. After the area became part of Austria-Hungary, thy were joined by Ashkenazi Jews who arrived to Tuzla. There were 17 Jews in Tuzla in 1879, their number increased to 349 in 1910 and reached a peak of 470 in 1921, when the city became part of the newly established Yugoslavia. During the 1930s the Jewish population declined to 340 in 1931 and 315 in 1940. 

The Jewish community was organized in 1890 and the synagogue was built in 1902. The Jewish cemetery was opened in 1900. During late 1930s, the Sephardi Jews set up a separate community and opened a small Sephardi Communal Center with a synagogue. The social and cultural activities during the interwar period included the opening of a local branch of the Maccabi sports movement in 1921 and the establishment of branches of the Zionist youth movements Hashomer Hatsair and Kadima during the 1930s. Additional activities included a handball team for women and a Jewish choir.

After the invasion of Yugoslavia by the Axis Powers in April 1941, the area was controlled by the Fascist regime of Croatia. As of August 1941 Jews were arrested and deported to forced labor camps. Twenty-one Jews joined the Yugoslav partisan forces led by Iosip Broz Tito. In 1944 family relatives of those who joined the partisan forces were murdered by units of Waffen SS. Very few Jews of Tuzla survived the Holocaust. 

The Jewish community was re-established after WW II. In 1968 there were 60 Jews in Tuzla, out of a total population of 60,000. The building of the Sephardi synagogue was appropriated by the Yugoslav authorities and later turned into a commercial venue. The building of the Ashkenazi synagogue was demolished in 1955. The Jewish cemetery lies outside of the town, and is fenced and gated. It includes plaques with the name of the Jewish partisans killed while fighting the German and Croatian forces during WW II. 

After the implemantation of the dayton peace agreements that ended the war in Bosnia, Tuzla became the seat of the peacekeeping troops in the region. Two American rabbis who served as chaplains with the US forces took care of the few Jews left in Tuzla. In 1996 they provided the local Jews with kosher wine and matzot for celebrating the Pesach. A meeting with representatives of the Jewish Agency in 1996 was attended by all adult members of the community.  During the same year, seven of the 13 children of the community attended the JDC/Lauder Foundation summer camp in Sarvas, Hungary.

סוג מקום:
עיר
מספר פריט:
21373569
חובר ע"י חוקרים של אנו מוזיאון העם היהודי
מקומות קרובים:

פריטים קשורים:

Hinko Urbah (born Heinrich Urbach) (1872-1960), rabbi, born in Morávka, Czech Republic (then part of Austria-Hungary). He was educated at a traditional heder and then attended high school in Budapest until 1891. Urbah studied at the yeshiva in Bratislava (now in Slovakia), where he worked as an educator until 1898. At the same time, he studied comparative philosophies of Semitic languages at the University of Budapest and earned a PhD in 1904. Urbah served as a rabbi in Tuzla in Bosnia, from 1906 to 1911, in Zemun in Serbia (then part of the newly established Yugoslavia), from 1911 to 1928, and then in Sarajevo, from 1928 to 1946.  He was a lecturer at the Theological Institute, that was opened in Sarajevo in 1938. After the invasion of Yugoslavia by the Axis Powers in 1941 and the establishment of the Fascist regime in Croatia, he fled to Italy, and at the end of 1943 managed to cross the border to Switzerland. After WW II, he returned to Sarajevo in 1945, and one year later he moved to Zagreb. Urbah, a supporter of the Zionist movement since he was a student, was instrumental in assisting the emigration of Yugoslav Jews to Israel in late 1940s. Eventually, he immigrated himself to Israel bringing with him eighty Torah scrolls from abandoned synagogues in Yugoslavia. He spent his last years in Jerusalem and died in Paris, France.  

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Also known as: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bosnia
Bosna i Hercegovina / Босна и Херцеговина

A country in southeastern Europe in the Balkan peninsula, until 1992 part of Yugoslavia. 

21st Century

Estimated Jewish population in 2018: 500 out of 3,500,000.  Main Jewish organization:

La Benevolencija - The Jewish Community of Bosnia and Herzegovina
Phone: 387 33 229 666
Fax: 387 33 229 667
Email: la_bene@open.net.ba

סאראייבו Sarajevo

(במקורות היהודיים שראי-בוסנה)

עיר ברפובליקה של בוסניה-הרצוגובינה. בעבר בוסניה, יוגוסלביה.


היהודים הראשונים הגיעו למקום באמצע המאה ה-16, ובעקבותיהם באו מסאלוניקי יהודים גולי ספרד. רובם היו בעלי-מלאכה ומיעוטם סוחרים. היו מהם שהתפרסמו בסביבה כרוקחים וכמרפאים. בשנת 1577 הוקצבה להם שכונה מיוחדת, אך עם הגידול במספרם עברו היהודים גם לחלקים אחרים בעיר.

ב-1581 נחנך בית-הכנסת הראשון. היהודים נהנו מאוטונומיה דתית ושיפוטית, ונאלצו לשלם מס-גולגולת, דמי- שוחד ו"הגנה" מפעם לפעם. באותה תקופה היו ביניהם סוחרים גדולים, אך עדיין עסקו רובם במלאכה ורבים נמנו עם דלת-העם.

במאה ה-17 השתקעו בסאראייבו פליטים יהודים מאשכנז, ויסדו קהילה משלהם. מהגרים נוספים הגיעו מבולגאריה ומסרביה, וגם מוונציה ומפאדובה. במצור האוסטרי בשנת 1679 נהרסה השכונה היהודית, על בית-הכנסת שבה.

במאה ה-19 זכתה הקהילה היהודית בסאראייבו למעמד רשמי. בשנת 1840 נתמנה ר' משה פריירא לכהונת "חכם באשי" של בוסניה והרצגובינה. באותו הזמן זכן היהודים, ושאר הלא- טורקים, לשוויון בפני החוק.

יהודים הרחיבו את עסקיהם וכללו גם את ענפי הנחושת, האבץ, הזכוכית וחומרי-צבע. באמצע המאה ה- 19 היה מקצוע הרפואה בסאראייבו ובבוסניה רובו ככולו בידי יהודים.

עם הסיפוח לאוסטריה (1878) השתקעו בעיר אשכנזים רבים; פקידי ממשלה, מומחים ויזמים; ונפתחו מקורות חדשים למסחר ולהשקעות. לסחר חוץ חדרו סרבים רבים, ודחקו את רגלי היהודים; בלית ברירה פנו היהודים לענפים חדשים - אופטיקה, שענות, מכאניקה עדינה ודפוס. בסוף המאה הגיע מספר היהודים בעיר ל-10.000 בערך.

אחרי מלחמת-העולם הראשונה זכו היהודים ליחס שווה והוגן בכל תחומי החיים. בשנים 1927 - 1931 נבנה בית-הכנסת הספרדי, הגדול בבאלקאנים. עם רבני העיר נמנו צבי אשכנזי ("חכם צבי") ודוד פארדו ("מורנו") שהוריש את כסאו לבנו ולנכדו אחריו. במאה ה-19 כיהנו הרבנים משה ומאיר דנון, אליעזר שם טוב ויצחק פאפו. אחרון הרבנים בתקופה הטורקית היה יוסף פינצי, בעל "וילקט יוסף".

ב-1928 נפתח בעיר בית-מדרש לרבנים, בהנהלת הרב מוריץ לוי שפירסם מחקר ראשון על תולדות הספרדים בבוסניה. בעיר הופיעו שבועונים אחדים, ובהם מדורים בלאדינו, ופעלו ארגונים ציוניים ובראשם "השומר הצעיר". ב-1941 ישבו בעיר כ-10,500 יהודים - הקהילה השלישית בגודלה ביוגוסלביה.

בימי מלחמת העולם השנייה נכנסו הגרמנים לסאראייבו באפריל 1941. בחודשים ספטמבר- נובמבר שולחו היהודים למחנות-ריכוז בקרואטיה ורובם נרצחו בידי אנשי האוסטאשי; הנותרים הועברו לאושוויץ. מעטים הצליחו להצטרף לפרטיזנים או להסתנן לאיטליה. עשרות קצינים וחיילים בצבא היוגוסלאבי שהו בשנות המלחמה במחנות שבויים בגרמניה.

היהודים ששרדו אחרי המלחמה עלו ברובם לישראל עם הקמת המדינה.

ב-1970 הוקמה בסאראייבו יד זכרון לחללי השואה במעמד נציגים מארצות-חוץ, לרבות ישראל. באותה השנה פורסם ספר זכרון.

בית-הכנסת הספרדי הגדול בעיר, שחולל ב-1941, נעשה לאולם תיאטרון; בית-הכנסת הישן משמש כמוזיאון יהודי. במוזיאון העירוני שמורה "הגדת סאראייבו" המפורסמת שמוצאה מספרד מן המאה ה- 14 ונרכשה בסאראייבו בשנת 1895.

ב-1971 התגוררו בעיר 1,000 יהודים.